Clomid Advice- Scared of Birth Defects

bridetobe311

Reaction score
Hi All!!

I am new to this forum and super excited to begin this journey of becoming parents :flower:

I am 29 years old and recently found out that I have PCOS with slight insulin resistance. I am not overweight (5'5 130 lbs) and other than the PCOS, I am overall healthy and work out consistently.

My periods have always been irregular my entire life. As I got older, my periods became less frequent- anywhere from 1-3x a year. I took provera every 3 months so I can shed my lining.

My OB recently prescribed Metformin 3x a day (1500mg). My first full cycle of metforming, I got my period- which is a miracle for me since I rarely get it on my own. I am currently on my second cycle and interested to see if I get my period again. Not sure if/when I ovulate, so I began charting my temperature and doing OPK as well. Hopefully the metformin helps me get prego and I won't need clomid.

My OB said that if I don't conceive within 3-6 months on metformin, I can go on clomid under her supervision (ultrasounds, 2 blood tests). That sounded great, until I researched all the risks involved.

My biggest concern are birth defects and the potential link to autism. I know I know, everything is linked to autism nowadays and even a natural birth can have birth defects. This would be our first child, so of course I am nervous and would hate to think I took a medication that can cause a birth defect. All mothers' dream is to have a healthy, happy baby.

I read that although you take clomid prior to conception, it stays in your system during the first trimester of pregnancy and it lowers cholestorol, which is linked to autism. My OB said that she has not seen a link to birth defects or autism in her clinical study. She also said autism is associated with the woman's age in conception and there is a higher risk in older women (late 3-/40s). I understand that women who need IVF or Clomid are not "normal" so there can be many other factors which affect the birth of the baby.

There are so many different factors and variables out there- the mothers medical history, the fathers medical history, age, smoking, etc- It drives me crazy researching and reading all these different studies and articles.

I know there are so many success stories with Clomid and it is prescribed so frequently, but I would love to hear from all you mommies out there. Are you scared of the birth defects/autism? Any stories you would like to share? Thanks in advance ladies, I appreciate it! Thanks for the support as I begin this journey.

My perfectly healthy lg was conceived on clomid and I'm ttc again with it. I have no concerns about this for my babies. It's not something that was ever mentioned nor is on the side effects leaflet of the medication.

I would trust your dr, google could literally convince you of anything, especially if you are looking for it.

There are literally so many things that could go wrong during conception pregnancy birth and the babies life you could worry yourself sick.

I've tried to make decisions based on well researched facts such as not drinking during pregnancy and know that I've done all I can.

Good luck with your journey :)

I agree with LoveCakes. I conceived ds on clomid and he is a brilliant little guy. And we have used it in our efforts for #2.

Google is awful! There is so much faulty and misinformation out there. I suggest checking sources and if you want research then go to a reputable research base and search peer reviewed articles.

I do not fear autism or birth defects because of clomid any more than I do from a natural pregnancy. The sad truth is they happen and more often than not we don't know why. But as someone that specializes in disabilities I can tell you the rate of autism is 1:50 and it is believed to be related to genetics at this current time.

Really? I didnt know that. I conceived my daughter on a second round of clomid. She is now almost 1 and is very healthy and happy. I am hoping not to need clomid second time around as my PCOS disappeared after being pregnant.

My son is a clomid baby and beautiful and perfectly fine. I'm pregnant with another clomid baby now. I think they have to make people aware of 'possible' risks no matter how small the risk is, to cover their own backs

Anecdotes aside, I wouldn't worry too much about this as it hasn't been proven to have a causal link. I would say the pros of using clomid far outweigh an unproven tiny increased risk of birth defects or autism.

And I say this as the mother of an autistic boy, who was not conceived on clomid :wave: It's not what I would wish for him and it's bloody hard for all of us, but if it were a choice between not having him in our lives as opposed to having him in our lives as he is then I know I don't have to explain which one we'd choose. It's no choice really. Autism isn't the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->