Clomid by itself reduces success?

hopster

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had an appointment this week with my RE to discuss our "plan" for next month. We are currently on our 3rd cycle of clomid by itself. Our RE suggested we move on to clomid + IUI next and she mentioned that a new study came out in late Jan 2013 that showed that clomid with intercourse actually reduced the chance of getting pregnant (due to CM changes). I did not get the name of the study, nor the population it was intended for (unexplained, PCOS, etc.) but thought it was interesting. I wish I had asked her if it was going to change her practice and if she would go directly to clomid + IUI (I did ask why we were just put on clomid and that's when she said the study was published in late Jan. - we started clomid in Dec).

So we will be moving on to clomid + IUI next month (if this month is not successful). I asked about the HcG trigger shot and she said there is evidence that it too reduces the chance of success, so we will just be doing OPK (she said there is no difference between ultrasound monitoring and OPK, since we had +OPK during the past 3 months with confirmation by day 23 progesterone).

We are in Canada so fertility treatments are not covered and I know the odds of IUI are pretty low (7-12% per our RE) compared to IVF and I asked her what her suggestion for treatment would be if money was not in the equation and she still suggested 3 rounds of clomid + IUI, then move on to injectables + IUI with ultrasound monitoring (this is also a test to see how your body responds to injectables in case we move on to IVF)

I normally don't post, but wanted to share this info (have no idea if it is really accurate) because I think they may bring up some good questions for others to ask their RE (clomid vs clomid + IUI and also about the trigger shot)

me: 35
hubby: 38
unexplained and coming up on 2yrs TTC

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back