Clomid, IUI & Exercise

dizzikel

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am after some advice please!!

This is my first time going through IUI and I it is looking like I am going to have the procedure on Saturday as I currently have two follies at 16mm. My question is: has anyone been given any advice about whether or not you can continue whilst going through IUI???

I exercise 3/4 times a week and think I will go insane if I do nothing until the end of the month.....seriously!!!

Any advice would we greatly appreciated.

xx

Hi ladies,

I am after some advice please!!

This is my first time going through IUI and I it is looking like I am going to have the procedure on Saturday as I currently have two follies at 16mm. My question is: has anyone been given any advice about whether or not you can continue whilst going through IUI???

I exercise 3/4 times a week and think I will go insane if I do nothing until the end of the month.....seriously!!!

Any advice would we greatly appreciated.

xx

Last month when I had my IUI I did no physical activity other than going for a walk one night in the TWW and it drove me mental.

I am having my IUI this month tomorrow and Friday. I will not do any physical activity for Thurs - Sat and then I will start up with my normal exercise routine again, but at a lower intensity.

I never asked the Dr last month about exercise but I definitely will tomorrow just to have some medical opinion on my plan!

Hi Springy,

Thanks for the response. I would love to hear what they say to you RE exercise. We are going away on holiday after the IUI but was still hoping to do a bit of jogging. The more I read the more I wonder if it is worth the risk. Confused.com :p

I'll post and let you know tomorrow as I am going to directly ask this time. I felt so sluggish and gross last month when I did nothing! I would like to be able to go to spin class and do some running (jogging) if I can this time around.

I also play ultimate frisbee once a week so I need to make sure I can still do that ....

I also do Yoga, which I'm 99% sure they will allow me to continue doing, especially since it is a specific small group class that is called "Yoga for fertility".

I'll post and let you know tomorrow as I am going to directly ask this time. I felt so sluggish and gross last month when I did nothing! I would like to be able to go to spin class and do some running (jogging) if I can this time around.

I also play ultimate frisbee once a week so I need to make sure I can still do that ....

I also do Yoga, which I'm 99% sure they will allow me to continue doing, especially since it is a specific small group class that is called "Yoga for fertility".

That would be great! I know it is only 2 weeks...but the 2ww is long enough without sitting still lol!

I am sure they will say yoga will be fine :thumbup: Ultimate frisby sounds very interesting!

Have you got any plans this evening?!

Kel x

I was told last month that I could walk and do light exercise. I was told the reason for light exercise is you do not want to raise your body temperature. I don't zumba, heavy elliptical or run during the week of oinsemination and 2ww...you also don't want to do stomach targeting exercises. Hope that helps...good luck and baby dust!!!

I was told last month that I could walk and do light exercise. I was told the reason for light exercise is you do not want to raise your body temperature. I don't zumba, heavy elliptical or run during the week of oinsemination and 2ww...you also don't want to do stomach targeting exercises. Hope that helps...good luck and baby dust!!!

Thanks for this information Gingerbaby...that is an interesting reason!

Sorry to hear about the BFN last cycle. Are you doing IUI again this cycle?

I have just found this info:

Avoiding Exercise
According to Pregnancy.org, it is advisable to avoid exercise after an IUI because exercise can raise your inner core temperature to dangerous levels. Pregnant women are advised to keep their inner core body temperature below 102 degrees Fahrenheit, or risk birth defects to the baby. However, many doctors advise avoiding exercise after an IUI because they don't want their patients to blame themselves if they fail to conceive. Fertility doctors Aniruddha and Anjali Malpani, authors of the book "How to Have a Baby: Overcoming Infertility," recommend that women take the "path of least regret": If you believe you might blame yourself for failing to get pregnant because you exercised after fertility treatment, then you should avoid exercise.

Gentle Exercises
If you want to exercise after your IUI but still have concerns that it might disrupt conception or implantation, try some gentle forms of exercise that do not involve bouncing or jumping. The American Pregnancy Association recommends low-impact exercises such as swimming, walking or yoga. Yoga is considered particularly beneficial for women trying to conceive. According to PregnancyToday.com, some evidence exists that yoga can boost your chances of conception.

Warnings
If you chose to exercise after your IUI, stay alert for any bleeding, excessive cramping or dizziness. Upon experiencing these symptoms, stop exercising immediately and relax. If nothing else, being cautious can offer you peace of mind.

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/371642-is-it-safe-to-exercise-after-an-iui/#ixzz1JQfa1ToB

What do people think? I like the idea of taking the "Path of least regret"

i also stopped running during the 2ww last month and it drove me nuts! my doctor told me that i didn't need to change my daily routine, just don't do anything strenuous. well this month i'm still not going to run, but i will walk, do the stationary bike, and weight train. i'm paying over $1000 out of pocket each month for the iui's, which is barely affordable, so i'm being as cautious as possible. as soon as i'm out of the 2ww and/or get a BFP, i'm going back to running! :)

Hey Touch the sky,

Thanks for the reply, I totally understand why you would want to be cautious!! Fingers crossed for you this cycle xx

Have you had any scans yet?

I had an IUI last month and went in for my second one today. My FS says that there is no need to change your exercise routine other than taking it easy the day of the IUI and the day after. Last month I did VERY little exercise during the TWW and drove myself nuts. The way I look at it, by not exercising I sit home and obsess so there has to be a tradeoff in the risk of being stressed out vs exercising. Just my 2cents. :)

Thanks for your post! Good luck for this IUI cycle! I am away next week so will take it easy but may just see how I feel in the 1ww. I agree though, if I don't exercise I will also sit obsessing about it all too. It is not an easy decision is it?!

Doing our first IUI tomorrow and my doctor has told me that keeping the exercise to 1 hour per day before ovulation and a half hour of low impact during the 2ww is fine. So happy because I would be so miserable with no exercise at all!

Good luck tomorrow Harvest! I am interested to know how you get on as I am starting my first cycle too this week. Fingers crossed xx

Half an hour low impact seems resonable in the 2ww & could probably manage that! :)

dizzi - i had a scan on CD3 and i won't have another until day of IUI. on CD3 i had a 10mm follie, and i've been "feeling" my ovaries so i'm hoping that's a sign of a nice big follie brewin down there ;)

good luck 31!

Hey 31!

Oh right, they have asked me to go back in for another scan tomorrow but I am new to this and not sure what the protocol is over here yet. I too have been "feeling" my ovaries lol! Do they usually leave you until the day of IUI?

Good luck for this cycle x

thanks! yeah, i only get a scan on CD3 and day of IUI. I take clomid 100mg days 3-7. This is my second cycle.

Good luck to you too!

Ok! Good luck! Are you using OPKs too?

I am on 50mg on days 2, 4 & 6 as I over-stimulate :$

yep, i started opking yesterday. i expect to ov around sunday/monday

dizzi- I am doing round 2 in the next week or so...good luck with your IUI and Im sorry about your loss.

Harvest- Good luck keep us posted.

31-keep us posted and good luck!!!

Touch the Sky-keep us posted and good luck!!!

Hi guys!!! Okay so today's ultrasound update: Great news! I have the most follicles I have had yet! This is our 2nd IUI month and 3rd drug therapy month. I have 6 total follicles...1.4, 1.2, 1.2, 1.2, 1.0, 1.0. I am only CD10 and am super excited that I have that many. I usually have 3 max. I am so hopeful but trying not to get my hopes up to high. Should O by the end of the weekend....Well ladies good luck and baby dust! I will pray this is all of our BFP cycles! :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->