[CLOSED GROUP]Team Festivus 2014: Let's party! Where's the eggnog?

It is just the two of us and our families live across the country. There are a few friends in town without family that normally join us and we play board games. Sometimes we put out beds for our friends to spend the night if we get to roudy. The anual dinner menu: balsamic glazed Cornish game hens, Alton browns Parmesan mashed potatoes, crab/grapefruit salad, GF biscuits, cranberry jelly from a can, black olives to stick on your fingers, gherkins, slices of feta, domathakia, ouzo, wine and demitasse.

Thanksgiving is one of the times I wish I was closer to family, I love our big dinners even though someone is either crying and/or pissed off by the end of the night :dohh: Family. Gotta love em! lol With just me and OH, I usually just cook...he will have to work, so I'll be bored playing Castleville all day I'm sure lol. Oh! And I'll be searching for some marathon on TV...hopefully twilight zone! :thumbup:

Thanksgivings: back in the days it used to be at my parent's house every year, everyone came over, uncles/aunts and their kids, friends whose families did not celebrate the day, we had tons of food and people, it was amazing. Once my grandpa passed away, it was just our immediate family still at my mom's house. It was cool but very quiet, we pretty much at and that ended the night. Then when DH and I moved in together we did 2 dinners for the first 2 years, sucked driving too much. Last year it was at my house. This year just at my mom's again. I do love Thanksgiving!!

Im here! Finally!

Ok.Ok. La Thanksgiving.

I love hosting! Which, we will be doing this year, again.
I actually love me some turkey-tamales instead of turkey... I'm backwards I know. It's like the exact opposite of stuffing a turkey, to stuff tamales WITH turkey.

I hope, pray, beg, that I am all done with being MS-ish by then! [-o<[-o<[-o<

Aww, I really hope you don't have MS at Thanksgiving too! I didn't even think about that. That would be no bueno! :sick:
I am looking forward to the holidays this year too! We usually have to travel a lot but I think we'll just go to 2 places this year. Just nice to hang out and be with family. I will miss the wine this year, but oh well, it should still be a good time.
Also, I love tamales! Yum!

I used to love thanksgiving. I grew up spending it at my grandma's with the entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins) but over the years family members have died or moved away. Now it's just my mom left and Hubs' fam. My mom is often weird about going to their place so I have to make special arrangements for her (this year she's trying to guilt me into having just her to my place) and if I try to have it at my place Hubs' parents won't let there be alcohol. Alcohol is about the only family tradition I have left (well not this year I guess) so go fuck yourselves, I quit thanksgiving. Plus I usually get a FaceTime from my brother showing me my family having a lovely time in Alaska at a big family dinner. So ya, not a big thanksgiving fan anymore. I think in the next few years it'll be up to me to start organizing since we'll have a family now but our house is small and I'm too busy at work this time of year to plan. Not to mention it costs a fortune right before Christmas.

:hugs: Mrs. JJ. Sounds a little stressful! I'm sorry you don't get to spend Thanksgiving with your family in Alaska.

Lol I just re-read that. I am such a Negative Nelly today. I do miss my fam though. Maybe next year I can fly out there with the misters. I did just get approved for an Alaska Air credit card so I have miles, can make more and a discount coupon for Hubs. :thumbup:

I actually just finished having a Thanksgiving conversation with my mom. I told her next year that DH, dogs, baby, and I will be hosting. Mostly because I want baby's first Holidays to be at his/her home. She was cool with it, so she said this year it will be at her house!! I seriously can't wait to eat, and I also hope that MS is gone by then!!! I want to pig out!!

Now that Bonfire Night is over, Christmas is here in full force! OH and I have already been planning our Christmas films- so far on the list:

Elf (which OH has never seen)
Scrooged
Love Actually
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life
Gremlins

So, mara16jade- what is going on with you?!?

@Fezzle, I love that Die Hard is on your Christmas movies list! It's one of my all-time favorites. Home Alone (as corny as it is) is on my Christmas movies list too, along with White Christmas.

@Fezzle, I love that Die Hard is on your Christmas movies list! It's one of my all-time favorites. Home Alone (as corny as it is) is on my Christmas movies list too, along with White Christmas.
I like all of those too, Fezzle. But you have to include National Lampoons to the list!

That was my exDH's favourite! One time I suggested that we put it on while we decorated the tree and he said no because he felt that film deserved our full attention! I'll have to see if it's on Netflix. I'm not sure if OH has ever seen that one either.

Not a huge Thanksgiving fan. At least not living here. We end up rushing Thanksgiving and Christmas because both my families are here and we try to spend a good amount of time with both. We get left with an hour together in the morning if we're lucky. Kind of over rushing around like mad!

I love all those films Fezzle and also National Lampoons :thumbup:

I cannot wait for Christmas :yipee:

OK this thread moves really quickly :wacko:

So, mara16jade- what is going on with you?!?

I'm going to use a CB digital with SMU. I hope it's not too soon!!! Fx
I think I'm still in a bit of shock...seriously.... :lol:

Mara!!! :happydance:

Hubs and I watch the Die Hards on Christmas too! When we were kids we used to have sleepovers and I remember one time going to the video store and renting it and we watched it while we were going to bed (even then he fell asleep before the end of movies :dohh:) so it's always made me think of him.

I love that you and your DH knew each other as kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->