Cloth diapers

I've used Tide Free and Gentle for over a year without a problem. Before that I used Arm &a Hammer Sensitive Skin

For diapers check out bubbybums.com. The prices are great for the quality and lady who runs the site is so sweet. I have newborn AIO diapers from her I haven't used yet and also cloth pull-ups for my toddler.

Ecoable on Amazon makes some amazing diapers too. They have sized diapers -- search for "ecoable 3-in-1", "ecoable AI2" and "ecoable newborn pocket". I especially like the ones that come with hemp inserts.

Nicki's and Imagine make quality prefolds and flats. I like WCW, Rainbow Waters and Bumby wool interlock, have heard good things about many other brands.

Where do you but them from? About to start potty training dd2 and holy COW are pull ups expensive?!

lol I already told you. Bubbybums.com! Look for the comfy underwear looking ones with no snaps on them like this one: https://bubbybums.com/waterproof-training-pants/rainbow-scales-in-size-3t

I gotta warn you though I regret buying and using them. Sent my daughter very mixed messages about potty habits. I was verbalizing "I want you to use the toilet" but still putting enough absorbent material to catch a full wee between her legs.... she spent months half-trained and when I took the pull-ups away she had a day of accidents followed by miraculous total potty training

Totally missed the link the first time sorry, my phone is in mobile view so it doesn't highlight links for some reason.

I just saw your thread and wanted to share... We do cloth and we looove it! I only did it partially with ds1 because I was a single mom and everyone told me I was nuts...but it is honestly so easy and I wish I hadn't listened to them! I started with pocket diapers and learned quickly that I didn't like them :/ all of the stuffing and un-stuffing of the diapers was time consuming and when runny poop went up the back over the opening, well, poopy fingers.

What we use (and love) now are bamboo flats and bamboo prefolds. The flats are awesome because there are only 2 sizes, and we will fold them into a diaper shape out of the wash (the one we use is called the diaper bag fold.. youtube :)) and put them in the drawer.. Then we just have to slide them on, snappi, and put on a cover. With ds1 I had so many disposable diaper blowouts, that boy could poop up to his neck almost every diaper change...so really I was dealing with poop more than I would have with the cloth diapers that would have held it in so much better. We almost never get diaper leaks, but with babies comes poop and poop can be unpredictable!

In addition to the flat diapers, I bought a fleece throw blanket at Walmart for $2.50 and I cut it into rectangles.. I put a rectangle into the diaper when we fold it, then when we put it on him it is already there. It catches all of the poop and makes clean up so easy. My husband will drop the poopy diaper in the bathtub and I take care of it later. When your baby poops runny it is super easy to rinse the fleece insert off, a lot of people get a sprayer for the toilet but I just spray it out with our removable shower head in the bathtub (it all goes down the same pipes!) and when I put it in the wetbag, no poop smell! Disposables smell horrendous :(
When baby poops solids - You just take the fleece insert, hold it over the toilet, and it rolls off right into the toilet and flush! Then I rinse the insert if necessary.
The fleece insert is also great because it gives baby a stay dry feel, all moisture passes through and stays away from baby's skin.. very nice. Plus it is so cheap, if one gets gross and you don't want to deal with it, just toss it out!

My husband is also a fan of the flushable liners. People argue that you shouldn't flush them, but they are biodegradable and better for the environment than disposables for sure.. so just plop it in the toilet and flush, or in the trash.

If your husband is not loving the idea of the cloth, then pocket diapers may be easiest for him (while still being cost effective). You just prep them out of the dryer and he puts it on like a regular diaper. If cost is less of an issue, there are All In One diapers, they are already one piece and where I buy they start at about $17 each.

I really suggest checking out Diaper Junction, I love their products (all of the Diaper Rite products made by them are amazing) and they sell great quality with amazing customer service. They also have a group on Facebook called Diaper Junkies with a bunch of supportive cloth diapering women (and some men!) The women that run the site also frequent the group and they are really great too.. always willing to help.

They do a points system too so when you buy you earn points to use toward items later, and they have something called What The Fluff where you order an item blindly (still picking the gender and type of item) for a percentage off, and they always send something great :) I can order covers for less than $8! Also great free items when you spend a certain amount.

One more little tip... When starting out, if you are interested in trying flats, you can start with towels from the regular store (I bought from Walmart) called Flour Sack Towels. It is like a cheap bar towel, or a cheap restaurant napkin... We got 10 for like $5. You just wash a few times and fold into a diaper shape (youtube :)) and though they are less absorbent you can double them up or at least see if you want to make the commitment to getting some better quality ones.

Oh, and for detergent, we found that we like Gain with Oxyclean :) I used to buy the expensive cloth diapering detergent but it was unnecessary! A lot of people like Tide or Foca... Powdered detergent is better if you have hard water.

Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted to give some info into the cloth diapering world because we love it so much :) And plus, they're so cute!

https://i66.tinypic.com/2hiaxvq.jpg
https://i67.tinypic.com/2j43ghz.jpg

Don't know why the pics are sideways... but those are both Buttons covers, they also get very small to use during the newborn stage if you don't want a newborn stash.

Hello myfavsurprise:
Thank you so much for you well detailed information. I really want to like prefold but my DD like to run and move while I'm changing her diaper so by this time I don't think is a good option for me. However I bought some cotton prefold and hemp prefold to use it on my pockets. I also bought the sprayer since DH is anti poo.
I also bought a couple of AIO I just bought like 6 cloth diapers because everyone insists that I should try a couple first but I really want to do this so I'm just waiting for earth day to come and catch some good offers.
About the fleece blanket, everyone keep telling me is very cheap at Walmart but I just bought one in 8.90 from Walmart and never find the cheapest one.:shrug: Meanwhile, I also bought a yard of 100% cotton fabric and half yard of bamboo/cotton fabric to do some cloth wipes. The fleece is for the stay dry liners. (I just love the idea of having so much benefits from this liners and also being able to use any kind of diaper cream)
Ps. I bought from diaper junction and Kelly's closet. My next store in the list is nickisdiaper

I've used Tide Free and Gentle for over a year without a problem. Before that I used Arm &a Hammer Sensitive Skin

For diapers check out bubbybums.com. The prices are great for the quality and lady who runs the site is so sweet. I have newborn AIO diapers from her I haven't used yet and also cloth pull-ups for my toddler.

Ecoable on Amazon makes some amazing diapers too. They have sized diapers -- search for "ecoable 3-in-1", "ecoable AI2" and "ecoable newborn pocket". I especially like the ones that come with hemp inserts.

Nicki's and Imagine make quality prefolds and flats. I like WCW, Rainbow Waters and Bumby wool interlock, have heard good things about many other brands.

I will be using Cheer powder detergent for this month just to see how it work. I saw is a recommended brand from fluff love university so let's see how it goes. The brand of diapers that you mention from amazon are from china? I'm trying to stick with natural fabric.

I also try to stick to natural fabrics. Ecoable is from China and uses bamboo or hemp for the inserts. BubbyBums is made in the USA and uses cotton, hemp, and bamboo for the soakers.

There is no properly natural "stay dry" fabric, and I think "stay dry" is just kinder and better for babies under 6-8 months old who have no hope of benefiting from feeling wetness.

I also try to stick to natural fabrics. Ecoable is from China and uses bamboo or hemp for the inserts. BubbyBums is made in the USA and uses cotton, hemp, and bamboo for the soakers.

There is no properly natural "stay dry" fabric, and I think "stay dry" is just kinder and better for babies under 6-8 months old who have no hope of benefiting from feeling wetness.

I'm going to make the "stay dry" liners mostly to keep the cloth diapers stain free and to be able to use diaper cream.

I tried that. They turned into fleece baby thongs every time lmao, wadded up

Hehe I find that our flushable liners do that diaper thong thing.. We like the fleece inserts personally, they work well for us (only occasionally "thonging up" :haha:). Our Walmart has been out of the cheap blankets too :( I hope they get them back! Yeah our son is incredibly wild during changes (and everything else) so I find the flats easier because we fold them ahead of time.. my husband taught him that when you tap on his chest twice and say stay down he is supposed to listen..so he acts like he's being tortured but mostly stays there so we can diaper him lol... though most other people have trouble changing him. I just bought some cheap pockets on ebay (no inserts, ill use the FSTs or prefolds) for when other people watch the kids. They certainly are the easiest. My mom acts like it's a maze putting on the diaper and cover (even though its technically like a fitted after we fold it) she says it's the snappi that she has trouble with.. so cheap pockets here we come! I think what I hated most about pockets was the microfiber they came with, so definitely smart move on using natural fibers! It sounds like you've got a good start up going on :) I love the cloth wipes too, my husband ehh.. but I think they're great. We made ours too, they are so nice.

I definitely agree with you and suggest just jumping in instead of buying a few and doing a half and half deal... that's what I did per people's advice in the beginning but it was just silly... if you want to do it like you know you do, you will do it. You've already got it all down, nothing to be scared of... and there's always the resale value of cloth diapers on the b/s/t forums and Facebook pages!

Another option for 'stripping' is Grovia Mighty Bubbles or RLR... I've never had to strip with bleach, at least not my natural diapers... microfiber i had all sorts of issues with. I did use Funk Rock and liked it too :)

What fabrics did you ladies use for wipes or did you buy wipes? I'm concerned about them fraying. I plan to get a lot some AIOs for DH and family members. I'm definitely going to have to practice the prefolds thing, YouTube makes it look easy but knowing me I'll confused myself lol

Hehe I find that our flushable liners do that diaper thong thing.. We like the fleece inserts personally, they work well for us (only occasionally "thonging up" :haha:). Our Walmart has been out of the cheap blankets too :( I hope they get them back! Yeah our son is incredibly wild during changes (and everything else) so I find the flats easier because we fold them ahead of time.. my husband taught him that when you tap on his chest twice and say stay down he is supposed to listen..so he acts like he's being tortured but mostly stays there so we can diaper him lol... though most other people have trouble changing him. I just bought some cheap pockets on ebay (no inserts, ill use the FSTs or prefolds) for when other people watch the kids. They certainly are the easiest. My mom acts like it's a maze putting on the diaper and cover (even though its technically like a fitted after we fold it) she says it's the snappi that she has trouble with.. so cheap pockets here we come! I think what I hated most about pockets was the microfiber they came with, so definitely smart move on using natural fibers! It sounds like you've got a good start up going on :) I love the cloth wipes too, my husband ehh.. but I think they're great. We made ours too, they are so nice.

I definitely agree with you and suggest just jumping in instead of buying a few and doing a half and half deal... that's what I did per people's advice in the beginning but it was just silly... if you want to do it like you know you do, you will do it. You've already got it all down, nothing to be scared of... and there's always the resale value of cloth diapers on the b/s/t forums and Facebook pages!

Another option for 'stripping' is Grovia Mighty Bubbles or RLR... I've never had to strip with bleach, at least not my natural diapers... microfiber i had all sorts of issues with. I did use Funk Rock and liked it too :)

So you never use bleach in your cloth diapers? That's amazing , today I bought a bottle of bleach just because people keep telling me is the only way to do a good strip cloth and sanitize them. I don't like bleach and never use it so I was very confused when all the information and people talk wonders about bleach. What kind of wipes solution are you using? I just cut my cotton fabric and I have 35 cloth wipes already. Just for $2.29 :shock:

What fabrics did you ladies use for wipes or did you buy wipes? I'm concerned about them fraying. I plan to get a lot some AIOs for DH and family members. I'm definitely going to have to practice the prefolds thing, YouTube makes it look easy but knowing me I'll confused myself lol

I just bought 100%cotton fabric and bamboo/cotton fabric. I haven't try it yet but what I read is that basically whatever fabric you want to use is ok.

Marie I don't intend to use bleach, most of what I read said it wasn't good for the diapers? Or maybe that's for the pockets and AIO/AI2s....:shrug: I don't like bleach lol

Are you going to sew the edges so they don't fray or does the kind you bought not fray? I'm worried about the edges fraying/unravelling but maybe it depends on the kind of fabric?

Marie I don't intend to use bleach, most of what I read said it wasn't good for the diapers? Or maybe that's for the pockets and AIO/AI2s....:shrug: I don't like bleach lol

Are you going to sew the edges so they don't fray or does the kind you bought not fray? I'm worried about the edges fraying/unravelling but maybe it depends on the kind of fabric?

Ugh all this information is going to blow my mind. Haha I bought the bleach just to play safe but I want to avoid it to the maximum.
Mine is going to fray if I don't sew them but I heard that fleece fabric don't need to be sew and don't fray.
What kind of detergent are you going to use?

I'm going with the funk rock ones from Amazon. I have an HE washer so a lot of detergents I actually can't use. I use arm and hammer for our clothes, and I've read mixed reviews on whether it's good for cloth. I think I'll just play it safe and get detergents made for cloth....less chemicals that way anyhow lol

I think I may go with some fleece for wipes, it's usually on sale in the summer anyways lol

I'm going with the funk rock ones from Amazon. I have an HE washer so a lot of detergents I actually can't use. I use arm and hammer for our clothes, and I've read mixed reviews on whether it's good for cloth. I think I'll just play it safe and get detergents made for cloth....less chemicals that way anyhow lol

I think I may go with some fleece for wipes, it's usually on sale in the summer anyways lol

Surprisingly, I have soft water so I can't use detergent that is intended for hard water and I also have an He machine. My DH want me to try cheer powder detergent rather than tide (brand that is very popular around the internet) so I will be testing my washing routine. If cheer doesn't work I will try rockin green or country save. Funk rock seems like a good option I also have it in my wish list on Amazon.
BTW.. Have you figured it out what kind of wash routine are you going to follow?

For detergent "playing it safe" is using a strong conventional detergent like Tide or Persil, not using a cloth detergent. Once you get a problem from a bad wash routine it isn't fun to fix! And god forbid the problem manifest as ammonia burns on baby's flesh rather than dingy grey diapers coming out of the wash.

What exactly are you afraid of happening to your cloth with a proper detergent?

For wipes I just used cheap cotton wash cloths. Not cute, but they got the job done. The products sold as cloth diaper wipes were too small to be useful for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->