Cloth mamas: NB sizes?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Okay cloth mama's, I'm looking into buying Green Mountain diaper prefolds in NB and size one. We're going to start out with disposables for the first few weeks and move into cloth while we still work on building our stash. Would one dozen of NB prefolds be enough to start out with if we're also starting with disposables? Can small prefolds be used for NB if folded down a little or are they still too big?

Thanks ladies!

We used cloth nappies with DS1 (until our washing machine broke and we got too used to using disposables and gave up on them :haha:) but a dozen should be just fine.
The size should also be fine too. When we thought they were a little big, we sort of padded them out with cut up muslins (which people tell you to buy mountains of for some reason but we never used them for the intended purpose anyway).

If it helps, we used Bambino Miosolo which are one-size from birth to potty training due to having adjustable poppers all the way round. They did look a big too big and bulky on a teeny baby, but they seemed to work really well.

What I love about flats and prefolds is that you can really 'trim them down' to any size with some folding and arranging. So they should work!

We didn't start CD until almost 6 months with my daughter, so I have no experience with newborn cloth. But we used a lot of flats and prefolds with her for the purpose of sizing and making them fit her nicely. :)

If you're doing a combination, I would say a dozen is a good place to begin. If nothing else and you realize that they're really going too quickly for you between washes, I know some people use flour sack towels as a backup (since they're easier to find) until they can get more diapers.

Those Bambino's are adorable! To be truthful I'd really love to just do AIOs and save ourselves the hassle, but they're so pricey! Is it silly to start off with disposables and prefolds while she's tiny and build up a stash of AIO's and AI2's for when she's bigger?

Swan - You love prefolds, do you use them all the way up through potty training or switch to a different type of diaper?

I am still using the smalls on my 9+ pounder. Like a PP said you can really play around with the folds to make them work. I also started with a dozen flats but I have two thicker flats for night time use. Ours was a last minuet investment because my son doesn't fit into the one size we used for his sister yet. He has tiny thighs compared to her.

*We are using the same flats we used on him as a newborn. When I talked to a friend who had the same diapers but a smaller baby she said they worked just fine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->