cloth nappies in hospital

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
do most hospitals let you have cloth nappies in hospital, as in just after the birth, or does it pose some kind of infection risk having dirty nappies all over the room?

x

I think it depends on the hospital.

I won't be placing my baby in cloth until his first poo's are out of the way, they will surely stain his nice new nappies.

im gna be using prefolds made out of old teeshirts with wraps over the top so i dont mind even if i have to throw the prefold out each time lol

x

im sure it will be fine - what about if you ask for one of those yellow bags they use, wrap them up inside that and inside one of your bags (so they dont get chucked out), if they get taken home to wash every night it should be ok surely? i'd just do it and presume they wont notice lol!

if/when we have another one im not telling them! Im just gonna do it!!

I can't see how they could say no - its a nappy and they can't specify what kind you use surely!

Yea i know a few hossys have said no to people as risk of cross-contamination! I dont see how cloth is any worse than putting a throw away in the bin? At least the cloth will be in a wet bag and taken home every night!! Bins get emptied when they feel like it!

I dont think they can stop you BUT i would suggest you consider the following:

The smell of keeping them with your stuff.
If i asked hubby to take them home, im damn sure they would still be in his car the day he collects us to take us home - again the smell - oh and If he did remember to take um out of the car, the likelihood is they would be sat on the floor in front of the washing machine when i got back
and as someone else said, the meconium is very very dark and might stain.

it might be easier to use disposables for a couple of days imho

right i rang them cos i figured all hospitals have different rules and stuff and she said that so long as i understand that they wont wash them ( as if i expected that lol) then there is no reason i cant use them, yay!!!

im deffo saving all my pretty nappies for once the meconium has gone though :sick: just using old teeshirts that wouldve been thrown away anyways so wont be losing anything if they do stain

x

I dont think they can stop you BUT i would suggest you consider the following:

The smell of keeping them with your stuff.
If i asked hubby to take them home, im damn sure they would still be in his car the day he collects us to take us home - again the smell - oh and If he did remember to take um out of the car, the likelihood is they would be sat on the floor in front of the washing machine when i got back
and as someone else said, the meconium is very very dark and might stain.

it might be easier to use disposables for a couple of days imho

uummmm yes this is an important thing to consider!
I went on holiday for 10 days and there were 2 wet nappies left ON TOP of the nappy bin - which is outside the bedroom so he must have walked by them what 50 times surely?!
Got home and they were still there :dohh:

its alright, hes not that bad, i should hopefully only be in 6 hrs anyawy, if all goes to plan :)

x

im gna be using prefolds made out of old teeshirts with wraps over the top so i dont mind even if i have to throw the prefold out each time lol

x

do you mind me asking how big you made them? and how many layer you used?
I really like the idea and have already put an order in with OH (as I would not know were to start):haha:

also have you used them with leyla-grace? and what wraps fit over them?

i havent made any yet, had a look on the internet and it said the best size to make them is around 11 x 14, but thats to make a foldy one i guess so im just going to look at one of my newborn wraps and make something that will fit nicely in there :shrug: it might turn out to be a disaster in which case i deffo will be using sposies lol, am just gna give it a go and kind of hope it works :haha:

x

oh and i think i will see how many rectangles i can get out of all teh teeshirts i have and divide them all up, will be using at least 6 per soaker i think, as they wont be folded i need something that will last a few hrs but since ive never done it before i dont have a clue lol

x

so you planning on making them just like an insert? like in the flip?
not the big square you fold in three?
I can't wait to find out how you get on!

just found this: https://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_prefolds.html

yeh am gna just make like a flip insert, i think a foldy one will probably be a lot stiffer than just a normal insert type one

x

Have you seen these Ellie? https://www.cloth-diapers-made-easy.com/the-no-sew-tshirt-diaper.html

Looks easier than sewing them into insert type things. I guess you could sew them in place ready folded and could add extra absorbancy in the key areas, or sew two t-shirts together if you wanted. I know somebody used them on their newborn ages ago but can't remember who... was it squish perhaps?

Have you seen these Ellie? https://www.cloth-diapers-made-easy.com/the-no-sew-tshirt-diaper.html

Looks easier than sewing them into insert type things. I guess you could sew them in place ready folded and could add extra absorbancy in the key areas, or sew two t-shirts together if you wanted. I know somebody used them on their newborn ages ago but can't remember who... was it squish perhaps?

:shock: OMG! hahahaha, im so gna have to try that, seems like a totally mad idea but hey, if it works...

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->