Cloth Nappies made Easy

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
There seen to be alot of the same questions being asked over and over again so thought I would write this which is all the info I found during my time reseaching cloth nappies for my buisness, so I thought I would share it to help others :)

Different Types of Cloth Nappy:

Flats – These could be the tradition terry towel, prefolds or muslins. They are generally square of rectangular in shape and they are folded into shape before putting onto baby. There are many different folds that can be used according to baby’s size, shape and personal preference. Flat nappies are closed using nappy pins of nappi nippas and they require a waterproof wrap.
Pros – Quick drying, cheapest option of cloth nappies
Cons – Can be fiddly and takes practice,​

Shaped/fitted – These are a 2 part system that consisted of a shaped/fitted nappy that is shaped like a disposable; they can be closed with nappy pins, nappi nippas, alpix or snaps. Shaped/fitted nappies require a waterproof wrap however many parents use them without wraps if they are just in the house and there isn’t continual pressure on babies bum.
Pros – 2 lines of defence, a cheap option of cloth nappy, quick drying, reasonably durable
Cons – Can be bulky​

Pocket – These are again shaped like a disposable nappy with a opening (pocket) between the inner and the outer layer that can be stuffed with a insert according to the level of absorbency needed. These are closed generally with aplix or snaps.
Pros – reasonable drying time, easy to use
Cons – more prone to detergent build up making them less effective, not as durable over time, a more expensive cloth nappy option​

All in Ones (AIO) – These are as the name suggests, everything you need is ready made in just 1 nappy, they are waterproof and have a built in booster. They generally close using aplix or snaps.
Pros – Easy and ready to use
Cons – Long drying time, most expensive cloth nappy option, not as durable over time​

Prewashing cloth nappies:

It is recommended that you prewash your new cloth nappies before using; this will help your nappies reach their best absorbency for use. Prewash your nappies 3 times using ¼ of the recommended amount of your washing detergent.

Washing Cloth nappies:

It is generally recommended that you washing cloth nappies at 60 degrees using ¼ of the recommended amount of your washing detergent. Using too much detergent will result in a residual build up of detergent within the nappy and therefore affected the absorbency. Some nappies can be washing at 40 degrees however this is generally not recommended until baby is a minimum of 4 months.

Drying Cloth nappies:

Preferably line dry your cloth nappies if possible as the sunshine will naturally bleach out any stains. If this isn’t possible then drying on a airer in a warm room is the next best option. Avoid drying directly on a radiator as this could eventually cause damage to the fabrics. You can dry your cloth nappies in a dryer on a low/medium heat is needed however remember that the exposure to heat with break how to fibres in the fabrics and decrease their life span.

Don’t use:

Chlorine Bleach – This will eat away at the material of you cloth nappies, leaving holes and fraying edges

Fabric Softener – In both liquid and sheet form will leave a water-repellent residue on your cloth nappies, therefore making them less adsorbent.

Pure Soaps – These will leave a soap scum lime residue on your cloth nappies, making them repel moisture rather than absorbing it.

How many cloth nappies:

This depends very much on how often you plan on washing. If you are going to wash every day then you would need approx 15 nappies, if you are going to wash every 2 – 3 days then you may need up to 25 nappies.

Storing dirty nappies:

Dry Pail – Simply put the wet nappies straight into a lidded bucket, for soiled nappies first rinse off the poop then place into the bucket. You can add a couple drops of teatree oil to the bucket if you are worried about smells but generally with a lidded bucket you won’t get smells.

Wet Pail – Nappies are placed in a bucket of nappy soak solution until washed in the machine. Generally not needed now a days as washing machines are more efficient and prolonged soaking can break down the elastic in the nappies.

Cost issues:

The total cost of using disposable nappies and wipes over 2.5 years is approx - £1584.70

The total cost of using cloth nappies and wipes (including washing costs) over 2.5 years is approx - £335 - £762 (depending on what system you use)
Using cloth nappies you could save between £822.70 - £1249.70. This is based on using cloth nappies for 1 baby, some cloth nappies can be used for 2 or even 3 children therefore increasing the savings.

D'you know what, I think a lot of the girls on here should say a BIG thank you for this!

Like you say, there are so many people asking the same questions over and over again and this MORE than answers all of their questions.

So....just wanted to say THANK YOU :hugs:

xxxxxx

D'you know what, I think a lot of the girls on here should say a BIG thank you for this!

Like you say, there are so many people asking the same questions over and over again and this MORE than answers all of their questions.

So....just wanted to say THANK YOU :hugs:

xxxxxx

Awww no worries at all, if it helps others then thats good and i'm happy.

Fab thread! Possible coule be a sticky me thinks. It took me about 4 days to finally discover EXACTLY what all the different types where, so think this will be a big help to others! :D x

Fab thread! Possible coule be a sticky me thinks. It took me about 4 days to finally discover EXACTLY what all the different types where, so think this will be a big help to others! :D x

How do we get it made a sticky?

Wow, this is fab. Sticky is in order. Could I make a suggestion also? - maybe next to each type of nappy list some of the ones available on the market? I.e bumgenius 3.0 next to the pockets etc. I still have no idea which 'type' of nappy a blueberry is!!!

Brilliant!!

We have just started to look into the possibility of using cloth nappies and it just seemed so confusing!!!

This has really simplified things - so a HUGE thank you!!

Can I ask what types people generally use? Types they find easiest, brands they recommend?

Really helpfull info!!Thanks for posting hun,xx

Thank you buttonnose! This is really helpful! All the information in one place. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->