cloth nappies or disposables???

i agree with Mitsuko and pussycat i have found a local supplier of the cloth nappies and i will probably get some envionmentaly friendly disposable ones.

Might be worth checking your local area though some councils support nappy cleaning services where they take the cloth nappies away each week and leave you another weeks worth of clean nappies behind these are granted schemes and cost less than you think. We have just moved out of an area with a local scheme unfortunately.

Cloth nappies are fantastic! Ive been doing it full time for about 2 months now and I wish I did it from the start. They are so nice and soft. They dont stick at all. I cant use disposables anymore because the smell makes me feel sick. You can smell her wee wee and poo a mile off through disposables but you cant smell anything with cloth.

And theres so many different types and patterns and colours that is a lot of fun dressing her up in matching clothes and nappies :D

They are really easy too, I use Blueberry and Bum genius pocket nappies and when it comes to washing I just pull out the middle and put the whole lot in the nappy pail. I also put a laundry mesh bag in the bucket so I dont have to plunge my hands into the dirty bucket to wash them. Just pull the bag out and shove it in the machine.

Like Rafwife said if you not keen on poo you can buy flushable liners that catches the poo. Also when out and about I just use a wet bag to store the nappy till I get home but you wouldnt know its there.

Also in the UK a lot of councils run schemes to encourage parents to use cloth and the give out voucher or starter packs so worth finding out if your council does that.

The biggest bonus of all is how much it saves on landfill space! Big plus for the environment and I love hanging out all my gorgeous nappies on the line.

We have a fluffy bum thread in the natural parenting section if anyone has any questions. Would love to have some new recruits in there!

Cloth nappies are fantastic! Ive been doing it full time for about 2 months now and I wish I did it from the start. They are so nice and soft. They dont stick at all. I cant use disposables anymore because the smell makes me feel sick. You can smell her wee wee and poo a mile off through disposables but you cant smell anything with cloth.

And theres so many different types and patterns and colours that is a lot of fun dressing her up in matching clothes and nappies :D

They are really easy too, I use Blueberry and Bum genius pocket nappies and when it comes to washing I just pull out the middle and put the whole lot in the nappy pail. I also put a laundry mesh bag in the bucket so I dont have to plunge my hands into the dirty bucket to wash them. Just pull the bag out and shove it in the machine.

Like Rafwife said if you not keen on poo you can buy flushable liners that catches the poo. Also when out and about I just use a wet bag to store the nappy till I get home but you wouldnt know its there.

Also in the UK a lot of councils run schemes to encourage parents to use cloth and the give out voucher or starter packs so worth finding out if your council does that.

The biggest bonus of all is how much it saves on landfill space! Big plus for the environment and I love hanging out all my gorgeous nappies on the line.

We have a fluffy bum thread in the natural parenting section if anyone has any questions. Would love to have some new recruits in there!

Are blueberry and gum genius the brand names of the ones you use??

I was soooo into using cloth nappies but just didn't think it'd be a viable option for me :/

Disposables for me.

I have done some research on cloth nappies/reusables etc but dont think its for me.

I like the idea of the nappy going straight out to the bin.

Someone mentioned that with disposables you can smell the wee/poo -I think thats good cos then it can be changed straight away.

I have stocked up on some mega-bargaineous nappies so far - range of sizes and brands as I know you sometimes need to try around to see what works best for the baby.

I have a couple of friends who are doing the cloth ones - they say they are great - but they used disposables for the first few weeks of having the new baby.

x

I'm def. using cloth nappies and I love the Tots Bots Bamboozles with Swaddlebees wraps. I'll be getting paper and extra fleece liners so that I can just remove the smelly bits lol.

I'm not using birth to potty ones though, I'm buying size one then size two, but we worked it out and it's still works out to over half the price of buying disposables!!!

Rafwife... I love the designs on your wraps though, where did you get those?

Disposables for me.

I have done some research on cloth nappies/reusables etc but dont think its for me.

I like the idea of the nappy going straight out to the bin.

Someone mentioned that with disposables you can smell the wee/poo -I think thats good cos then it can be changed straight away.

I have stocked up on some mega-bargaineous nappies so far - range of sizes and brands as I know you sometimes need to try around to see what works best for the baby.

I have a couple of friends who are doing the cloth ones - they say they are great - but they used disposables for the first few weeks of having the new baby.

x

But you cant change their nappy every time they do a wee or youll go through about 20 nappies a day!

Bum Genius and Blueberry are the brands I use. I also use Itti Bitti d'lish.

Bum Genius and Blueberry are super absorbant, I can use them over night for 12 hours and never had a leak. :thumbup:

Itti Bittis I use for 2 hours at a time through the day they are really good under clothes because they are really slim. Some cloth nappies can be quite bulky.

Bum Genius and Blueberry are birth to potty so are well worth the investment, Itti Bitti are sized and come in small, medium and large.

Rafwife... I love the designs on your wraps though, where did you get those?

I use mostly birth to potty too.

I have tots bots, mothercare smart nappies, blueberrys and I'll be getting some Itti Bittis soon too.

Highly recommend the Blueberrys, but they are expensive (and the first couple of pics I posted). Itti Bittis are a good mid range nappy, and mothercare smart nappies are cheap (£40 for 8) and good for beginners. Plus you can use an eco friendly disposable inner with them if you need to :)

I'm very keen to use cloth ones - mainly for the environmental aspect. In reality, I think I'll use a combination of both - use cloth but have some disposables available for when we're out etc.

The only issue with using cloth is the choice - I'm only just beginning to get my head around pushchairs, now I need to start nappy research. I hope baby isn't early - I'm going to need all remaining 20 weeks to get my head round this stuff!!

My SIL used them for her son (who is now a year and 1/2) and I had to babysit him for about 4 days. During this time, the diapers were washed (according to HER instructions) but they never came clean! They still stunk like urine, and you have to wash about a million pairs more of clothes, because if you leave it just a little bit too long to change him, if you're caught up with something else or someone or something, it leaks through their clothes!

None of my nappies have ever stained, and they just go on a rinse cycle. We've gone through weaning too :lol: I've also only ever had one leak in 7 months :thumbup: I think it's about buying the right brands, and washing them properly.

Ive had one poo stain but it went after I laid the nappy out to dry in the sun. Ive never had any problems with them smelling of wee.

My plan is to use cloth nappies, but am thinking I will get some newborn disposables for the first few days, for both the horrible meconium sticky stuff and also until we are home and settled a little. Then onto the cloth ones. I plan on going back to work at about 10 months so am hoping a nursery will be supportive.

Thanks for the heads up on the natural parenting board - will go and have a snoop around!

Decided we had to give these a go, the cost and the environmental factors were too big to ignore for us. Going to check out natural threads as I am unable to make up mind about anything so recommendations good. also cash back from local authority.

WOW!!! What a great response, I really has given me something to think about, I think i'll have to be checking fleabay for some pre-loved one to give it a try!!!

I'm really keen to use cloth nappies although will be using eco disposables whilst its tiny and until we get settled down. I'm thinking of using my HIP £190 grant to buy a selection of different ones so I'm ready to go.

I can't stomach the thought of using disposables - theres no way I can contribute to the disposable diaper problem. I am definitely using cloth - especially since its SOOOO much cheaper in the long run. The diaper place near me does a 1-2 week trial thing where you can try out different brands and types of cloth diapers to see which ones work better for your LO. I think I will do this, but the only problem is that then I can't buy ahead of time.
Instead of disposables for emergencies and at the beginning I am also getting the G-diapers. They come with disposable inserts, but I am going to get some reuseable ones instead.
xx

We'll be using cloth re-useables but mixed with disposibles when we need to.

We're not thinking along the lines that its 'green' but its certainly better on the pocket - yes the nappies are expensive to start with but I know I'd rather spend £200 then only have to do laundry then fork out that much every month on nappies.

Plus disposing of the nappies...our bins get collected once a fortnight!! Can imagine how many nappies there would be in the bin after 2 weeks!! How would we fit any other rubbish in and it would smell no matter how well you think you've wrapped the nappies.

If you do try cloth nappies an don't get along with them the re-sell value is actually very high for some brands - just check ebay.

im useing cloth nappys, but i have disposables for if im out and about like up town or out or a meal so i dont have to carry sinky nappys round with me, but for round the houe and visiting ect, ill be useing cloth ones

I've decided for now to go with the disposable eco-friendly natural ones. I actually bought my first box of them today. :)

We have started using cloth. Especially with another on the way. They are way cheaper, so much better for the environment and babies toilet train quicker with them as they feel they are wet. I worry about the huge amount of nappies in the landfills. One baby amounts to a heap of nappies. I will still use disposables for some things, like when we fly to Australia, but will use 75% less of them. When you are done with them there is a good market out there for 2nd hand nappies too so you can get some money back. Personally I wouldn't bother with them in the first few weeks unless they are one size fits all types, and even then they can be ill fitting on newborns and leak. But, newborns, especially breast fed ones, do tend to do lots of runny poos that leak anyway. Usually right up their back!

i plan on using cloth nappies for the baby.

when im going to town tho might just get a disposable as its easier but at home il use cloth.

also i heard they help you potty train your baby earlier than disposable nappies.

also they are cheaper, the set is expensive but in the long run you save so much money its unreal!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->