Cloth when travelling?

BintUmmi

Reaction score
We are making the transition from disposables to cloth for both of our girls.

We are going to be visiting the inlaws for a few days and I was wondering how you guys deal with cloth when you're not at home? We will have access to a washing machine but I"m wondering if it would just be easier to get some disposables and just go back to cloth once we're home again.

Does anyone have any experiences with cloth away from home? Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance

I wash my entire supply the day before we go anywhere and pack them up in the container we would use at home (a wicker basket) so it's easy to pack and throw in our pack of wipes and bring along our regular hanging bag. I transfer to the bag as he uses them and I've never found it to smell so no big deal. I do, always bring along a pack of disposables just incase I run out depending on the length of the trip.

I always took our nappies with us. When washing and drying was simple, I packed the slimmest of our usual nappies and washed them as normal (usually at my mum's). When it was a bit more difficult, I switched to cotton terries and our usual wraps for daytimes because they wash and dry so easily (by hand, if necessary). Quick drying nappies mean you need to pack fewer as you can just quickly wash the day's worth in the evening and they'll be dry in the morning so you only need enough for 24 hours.

I like cotton terries best if you might have to hand wash because you can wring them out (no elastic or stitching that might pop!) and they're not particularly prone to detergent build up - it's surprisingly hard to rinse things properly by hand, especially microfibre. They can be treated harshly when you get home, if you need to e.g. if they have build up or went a bit stinky/mouldy in the wetbag you can boil them, bleach them, whatever really!

I'm not against using cloth when on vacation, but for us, if we're out for more than 2 nights, I use a more natural disposable, and I'm okay with it.

For times when we've done it on the road, I would just bring a big enough wetbag or two, and plop of any poop, roll them and snap them together to store in the wet bag until we got home to wash.

If I was going to cloth out of town for more than a couple nights, I would access a laundromat for a few hours at least every third day.

We went to a trailer last summer. We brought a bunch of ziploc bags and stored the dirty diapers in the bags. I found that they kept the smell on no problem. I washed them all when I got home. It wasn't any more difficult than being at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->