cluster feeding newborn + sad toddler

Cattie

Reaction score
DD2 is 17 days old and has hit cluster feeding with gusto; she's going about 10 minutes between feeds at the moment, is almost impossible to wind properly and hasn't let me put her down since 10 last night. That's nearly 24 hours :wacko: I'm wrecked, but vaguely remember from last time that this is fairly normal (although DD1 was easier to wind and only cluster fed from 8pm to 8am).

Anyway, DD1 is two and a half and this is where I'm struggling. We managed a walk to the park earlier but spent most of the day sitting on the sofa with books and CBeebies, I've ended up giving her rubbish for lunch and tea, not giving her a bath, getting her dressed for bed one handed, I had to leave DD2 downstairs screaming whilst I settled DD1 down with cuddles as she'd got herself into such a state. I feel dreadful for DD1. OH works two jobs so is only in three nights a week. Any ideas what I can do to make things easier on the toddler, or if there's anything I can do to extend the periods between feeds either during the day so I have time to play with DD1 or at night so I can sleep enough to have the energy to be a bit more patient the next day? Thank you!

I know the feeling well! Do you have any family nearby at all? I'm very lucky in that I have my parents nearby so I was round there most afternoons, just so they could hold DD2 for a few mins and so DD1 got a decent lunch!
Have you tried a sling for baby so you can get DD1 ready for bed with hands free? It gets easier, I used to put DD2 in the bouncy chair while I did things like dinner/shower and she loved it. That was from about 3 weeks onwards.

I'm not there yet but will have a newborn and DD soon.
I'm planning on putting this baby in a wrap or something and feed it in there so I'm hands free for DD and can play with her, cook etc. I'm hoping it works :L

aww hang in there hun. i never tried a wrap but people swear by them. could u do jigsaws with dd1 or make her a special toy box with stickers and things? x

I think I'm going to get a wrap and see if being held close to me is enough to soothe DD2, so I can have two hands to do stuff! My friend's dropping one round tomorrows owe shall see how it goes. Both children are asleep now...finally I can eat!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->