CMPA? So confused!

pinklizzy

Mummy to two little bears
Reaction score
I'm so confused about the issue of CMPA and what's going on with my little boy and would love some advice from anyone who has had a similar experience. As a newborn we struggled to breastfeed at all and after a month I gave up, a couple of weeks later he was diagnosed with a posterior tongue tie which had been missed. Once on formula he was sick a lot, constantly choked when feeding and cried a lot when laid flat. We had gaviscon which helped and once we started introducing solids at 6 months he was sick a lot less (although still more than friend's babies of the same age)
I went to the HV for advice a couple of months ago as he hadn't .had a formed poo in what was then 16 months, he had 5-6 dirty nappies a day and they were always horrendous, usually needing him to be showered off.
She asked the paediactric dietician for advice and they suggested a reduced lactose diet which we did and it seemed to work initially, he even had a sold poo! We did this as well as keeping a food diary for 3 weeks while waiting for an appt to see the dietician in person.
When we saw her however, I was left even more confused and disappointed to be honest. She mentioned that he 'probably had CMPA' but his body was coping with it and to carry on with the lactose free milk/cheese and the SMA LF formula which he was having at night. So we did this as well as cutting out dairy in his diet, tried not to give him too many soya based alternatives and he has been having oat milk during the day too.
He has never had a rash or any signs of contact allergy, he used to be very hot and sweaty which hardly happens now and he is far less wheezy/constantly coughing but he still has the awful nappies at least twice a day. He is a big boy and is growing/developing fine although he isn't sleeping as well since starting the oat milk but not sure if that's related or due to a sleep regression.
I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. The dietician has since moved to a different trust, as has my HV and neither post has been filled yet.

That is confusing!

Tongue tie can stop babies from bottle feeding properly, making them choke, take in air etc. This can lead to excessive wind, causing discomfort and the more gas they have the more milk they can bring up with their burps.

CMPA and lactose intolerance are two different allergies, so why they have been mentioned in the same consultation I don't know. CMPA is about milk protein, lactose is milk sugar.

Have you googled Toddler diarrhoea?

That is confusing!

Tongue tie can stop babies from bottle feeding properly, making them choke, take in air etc. This can lead to excessive wind, causing discomfort and the more gas they have the more milk they can bring up with their burps.

CMPA and lactose intolerance are two different allergies, so why they have been mentioned in the same consultation I don't know. CMPA is about milk protein, lactose is milk sugar.

Have you googled Toddler diarrhoea?

Thank you for your reply, I did mention toddler diarrhoea to the dietician but the thinking was that because he has only ever had 2 solid bowel movements and his poo is always very mucousy and 'odd' that it was more likely to be an intolerance to something dietary.
He now (since yesterday) has an awful skin rash as well as hand foot and mouth so is generally a very sad little munchkin!

I have had 2 kids with CMPA. My son outgrew it sometime after 15 months. My 5 month old daughter still has it (we assume...will wait several more months before trying to introduce dairy). But in addition to CMPA, both were also allergic to soy (apparently rather common in babies with CMPA). It took about 2 weeks to clear out of my daughters system (after I cut out soy, in addition to diary and eggs...all problem foods for her). If your son is still getting soy, perhaps it's also contributing to the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->