Co-Sleeping Help!

Plumfairy

Mum-mum-mum-mum
Reaction score
Ok, so it came to a point where I realised if I were to get any sleep Layla would have to come in the bed with us as she just wont settle in her moses basket at night... Is it really as bad as all the health visitors/midwifes make it out to be? I know I would never squash her and pretty much sleep with one eye open, but still... Is it really that dangerous?

Also, was wondering, has anybody allowed baby in the bed with them and then succesfully managed to get baby sleeping on their own a few months down the line?

Thanks

x x x x

Renah slept with me for the first 6 weeks and then went in her crib successfully.

Its not that bad. I still bring her to bed sometimes.Just make sure she has her own blankets

If you persist with putting her down in her own bed she will very quickly start settling... It takes them a couple of weeks as they are used to being cozy in mummys belly... Swaddling helps with this.

Lots of people do co-sleep... You can buy a special thing for your bed which is the safest route... I really find it scary when people say they just sleep with them laying in their bed with regular duvets etc... That IMO is dangerous.

You could also have seperate blankets from her which is safer...

The other issue with co-sleeping is eventually they do have to go into their own bed and it can be a difficult to get them into their own bed...

Each to their own though, you know whats best for you all!

I haven't gotten her out of my bed but it isn't dangerous if you're not too tired, drunk, or on drugs x

Its fine so long as you are sensible (no drinking etc). My eldest went from my bed into their own cots with no problem at all. Sam's just about ready to go into his cot now at bedtimes, i'm just holding off for a few more weeks cos i'll miss snuggling up to my little sleepy monster. x

I definately wouldnt drink and sleep in the same bed as her or let OH either. Thats a big No-no! I swaddle her so she doesnt actually have a blanket in the bed, just sleeps on the sheet and I kinda have my arm around her. I have tried putting her down in her basket, but I just cant let her lay there crying.. I tried for a while but it was heart wrenching and I had to pick her up!

to bo honest jack never liked his moses basket sometimes it used to take me up to 2 hrs to get him to sleep but he is in cot & goes of straight away now ive never brought him into the bed with me since the day he was born i would be to scared , i won,t mind when he is passed 6 months . violet xx

Apparently if you smoke & cosleep you increase the risk for SIDS too.

I had the co-sleeper ryder is talking about - its called a snugglenest

To be honest, untill Caitlyn could roll over I was petrified every night! I lost so much sleep over it. And, in all honestly I wish I had persisted in getting her to sleep on her own. It would have been alot easier then than it is now.

Like Violet said... some babies just dont like their moses basket... Jasmine always slept in her actual crib from week 1... Some babies dont like being swaddled either. You never have to leave your baby to cry in their bed, if you have to pick them up you can, and you can rock them back to sleep. They DO eventually relax and learn to love their own bed.

Once they reach a certain age they go through an attachment stage... im sure someone here knows the age of this, but it becomes super difficult to get them in their own bed during this stage.

I co-slept with Kaya from the start and I now part co-sleep, there's a lot of evidence that co-sleeping can actually be safer than baby sleeping on their own. I think that as long as you pick the right time to get them in their own bed it's not that much hassle. Kaya started going in her own bed at 11 months (when I felt she was ready) and she now spends most of the night there. She still comes through in the early hours of the morning, but that's fine with me.

I cosleep with Alfie but he has been going down in his cot no problem for the past 2 weeks, he hated his moses basket too so i just brought him into bed with me. Some say its actually safer regarding SIDS as your breathing regulates baby's breathin cos they're so close and someone once said to me, its called cot death for a reason, not cosleeping death?!

As long as you follow all the guidelines everything should be fine

It might be called cot-death, but it can even happen in a car seat. That's a silly thing to say :blush:

I've coslept with Colton up until recently. A few weeks ago I started putting him in his crib after he fell asleep and then bringing him into our bed when he woke in the night.
Then I started letting him CIO (for no more than 20-30min though) and now, after a few days he is sleeping on his own in his crib all night :)
I loved cosleeping with Colton, but I also love having my bed and the room now that he is older (and takes up ALOT of the bed :dohh:). I will probably cosleep with future children, aswell.

I part co-sleep with Leo. He sleeps on his own untill about 7 or 8 am then I put him in the bed with me for another hour or so.
x

have u tryed puttin the moses basket on a stand or chair right besides ur bed like literally so wen ur laying down she can see u and u can see her and easily stroke her face etc...i found this better for archie as he cud hear me and see me and it was practicaly like he was in bed with me.
but to be honest in the first couple of weeks i had archie in bed with me 2 as it jus seems the easiest thing u can do to get sum sleep but i think as long as u dont do it every night and u do like at least try settling her in her cot/moses first and use co- sleeping as a last resort she wont get used to the idea of sleeping with u. and she wil hopefully jus settle in her cot one day. thats wat archie did but i mean he stil has hes odd days were he wakes in the night for melike last night so ill bring him in our bed in the end....but i just dont make a habbit of it xx

I slept with Erin in the bed (on me actually) up until a week ago - she's 3 and a half months now. It took me about 4 nights of perseverence to crack it (the first three were pretty bad), but now, just a week on, she is going to bed in her cot all by herself. TBH I didn't think I'd be able to get her out of the bed, but I did. I did love sleeping with her, but I wanted the bed back!

My hv gave me a hard time when she found out I was sleeping with Erin. I slept with one eye open all the time and personally think that I was so aware of her that I couldn't have squashed her.

If it's working for you both then continue, you can get her out of the bed later. Plus cuddling up to your bubba in bed is the nicest thing in the world! When they're that tiny they still just want to be close to you - just think she's been tucked up inside you all snug for 9 months. If you're getting rest, that's important too.

I tried at the start to put my lo in his moses basket but I was so tired with the breastfeeding I just ended up co-sleeping! I was scared at first to and I am still quite nervous about it, but I'm quite a light sleeper and I always have my arm around him, and he's always got like half the bed to himself (my bf is always falling out!)

I am dreading when I have to get him into his cot. He's nearly five months and should've did it a longggggg time ago!

I've heard alot of people say their HV discourages them to co-sleep but mine was pretty supportive. I think she was more interested in me to keep on breastfeeding than anything else, lol.

my midwife suggested putting a t-shirt i had worn over the mattress inthe moses basket so lo could smell me and feel more secure in there. Also she said there is nothing wrong with bringing him into bed so long as he can't fall out / isnt't in the middle / or under duvet.

It might be called cot-death, but it can even happen in a car seat. That's a silly thing to say :blush:

Well not really as there has been research done to prove that it is safer to cosleep, thats what i was trying to say, not a very positive comment to say my opinions silly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->