Co-Sleeping tactics for baby safety

EarthMama

Mom of 2 & pregnant!
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm not a mom yet, but I will be soon and intend to co-sleep.

I am a light sleeper, it's always been a bane but for co-sleeping I imagine it will be to my/our benefit.

There is a thread in the second tri forum about co-sleeping disasters, baby's being smothered and ending up braindead, etc.

I'm not letting this scare me however because I just feel like co-sleeping is right for me and it makes the most sense.

But can you experienced people share some tips with me to help ensure my baby is safe to sleep with me, from newborn onwards? Thanks so much, aloha!

I think everyone finds their own little tips and tricks to help, but the basic safety points I can think of are:

No drinking alcohol
No drugs
Thick covers and pillows well away from baby
A firm surface (no waterbeds, sofas, mattresses with dips in etc.)
Avoid if very overweight
Avoid if excessively tired
Contentious point, but I've heard it suggested to avoid cosleeping if formula feeding, but you'd need to make your own mind up on that.
Don't swaddle
Make sure there are no gaps between the bed and the wall

As DH is a heavy sleeper, Alice slept between me and a bed guard with DH on the other side of me. When she was very tiny, I slept in the recovery position with her in the crook of my arm (you'll probably find that comes naturally) so my knees would stop her slipping down. DH had a duvet, I wore pyjamas and a thin blanket, and she was in a sleeping bag. Over time, as they get more able to move themselves, you can start using your judgement about relaxing these things. Now she's 2, we have a duvet, she sometimes sleeps by DH, and the pillows are back.

I always recommend it to anyone who'll listen, but Deborah Jackson's 'Three in a bed' book is a really good, reassuring and practical guide to cosleeping. I certainly feel more comfortable and safer having my little baby next to me than in a cot.

Hopefully others will be along with more advice and things I've inevitably missed!

Do not cosleep if you:
- smoke
- have drunk alcohol
- have taken drugs
- have taken medication that makes you sleepy
- are exhausted from sleep deprivation
- are obese.

Where to cosleep:
- never cosleep on a sofa or armchair
- never cosleep on a waterbed
- do not use a pillow-top mattress
- do not use a memory foam mattress
- use a firm flat mattress.

Prepare your bed:
- sheets should be tight over the mattress
- no gap between mattress and headboard
- no gap between mattress and wall
- no gap between mattress and bedrail
- no pillows near baby
- no duvet over baby.

Prepare yourself:
- tie back long hair
- dress to keep upper body warm
- don't wear clothes with long ties
- don't wear dangling jewellery
- don't wear scented deodorants or perfumes.

Prepare baby:
- place baby between mother and wall/bedrail
- do not place baby next to an older child, pet or non-aware adult (a breastfeeding mother is most in tune with baby)
- place baby on his/her back
- do not swaddle baby
- do not overdress baby
- never cover baby's head.

I plan on attaching a crib next to our bed. I feel safer if our baby is sleeping in his own spot.

In addition to the normal safety rules of co-sleeping, I suggest a snuggle me cushion:
https://www.simplymommyonline.com/

It has been one of the best investments I've made as a mommy. For co-sleeping, it creates a firm barrier that keep LO in place and keeps you from invading that space. I place it on top of my covers so that they can't be pulled up near her face. It's also very handy during the day as it's lightweight and you can tote it around the house to put your LO down at any time.

That looks fab! We had a sidecar crib, which I loved :). I also had a respisense on teddy and Imogen, which would have gone off if they'd stopped breathing.

I don't use a blanket/cover - I wear my huuge dressing gown (half-on-half-off me, the top part tucked between my boobs to keep it in place) and use the bottom of it to cover LO's legs/bum, but since I'm wearing it, it can't go up over his chest/head etc.

ok, for the whole "obese" comments....im a heavier girl and I have co-slept with LO since she was born, it can be done. yes they say not to do it, but if the right precautions are taken and things like that it can be done(sorry if this came off rude, im just stating that even though im bigger I still safely co-sleep with LO). With advice, like most of the other ladies say no pillows or heavy blankets around LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->