co-sleeping

diz

Reaction score
I never meant to end up co-sleeping - although i have. I put Noah in his cot at bed time (around 7pm) and he stays there until ...well it can be anywhere from 10pm - 4am.

I plan on moving his cot out of my room at the end of the month, and also wanted to get back into the habit of him sleeping in it again.

My question is directed to those of you who have ended up in a similar position to me, or those that decided to co-sleep in the beginning but for what ever reason changed your minds and ended up putting your LO in his/her own space to sleep.

How did it effect their sleep?

Did they settle to being by them selves relatively well?

At what age was your LO when you stopped co-sleeping?

Sorry for all the questions :flower:

Hi hun,
Ive co - slept with all of mine and with my others at around the 5-7 months stage Ive put them in a cot, never really had any problems either, they've all slept well (better in fact .. i often wondered if i disturbed them)
Jamies a little diffrent .. he's nearly 9 months and i don't even own a cot yet, he still feeds so much at night there no way he can go in on his own yet :dohh:

Good luck with getting Noah into his own room xxx

Thanks so much for your response cariad x

i never planned to co-sleep either (in fact i was kind of against it! :shy:) but after accidentally dropping off with noah (good name choice btw :winkwink:) next to me and having an amazing night's sleep im sticking to it :lol: he sleeps so much better this way.
can i ask do people give you stick for it?? ive had alot of "oooh you dont want to get into the habit of doing that" :wacko: xx

Yeah, you get loads of ' your making a rod for your own back' blah blah blah! But I always say it works just now and I get a lot better sleep out of it x

Yeah, you get loads of ' your making a rod for your own back' blah blah blah! But I always say it works just now and I get a lot better sleep out of it x

:lol: thats the exact phrase i keep getting.
ah well happy mummy happy baby :D x

Iv ended up co-sleeping too, just kind of fell into it...abigail just would not settle in her crib (even though i had it right next to me in our bed and make it snuggly)....i dont know how she does it but she senses when iv put her in it and wakes within minutes!!

So i feel asleep with her next to me and got a good solid 4 hrs...well, that was it. I wasnt against it at the beginning anyway, but im hoping its not going to be too hard to get her into her own space.

I hate all the 'digging your own grave' comments, it works for us. Shes happy, im happy...they can go jump!

When pregnant, I never thought I'd co-sleep but when my son was born it felt like the safest, most "natural" thing to do. He slept on me for the first 6 weeks, then next to me. He had a bedtime routine from about 16 weeks when he'd go down in his cot bed (which had one side off and was pushed against our's for easy access) at 7pm after a feed and then come into bed with me from whenever he needed his next feed (usually about 2am). Once he got to the age where we weren't afraid his dad would suffocate him, he slept between us, especially after we weaned from the breast at 18 months. Since I got pregnant with twins, I moved into the spare room (I disturb everyone!) and he stayed with dad, although by now, he sleeps in the cot bed, set apart from the main bed, and gets into bed with his dad usually in the early hours. We've talked to him about sleeping in his own room and given him opportunities to but he says he wants to sleep with us (he instigated separating the beds, however). It's just evolved like this, there was never a plan as such, just done what feels right for us as a family and it certainly hasn't seemed like DS wanted to be anywhere else. There's no set plan for him to move and I guess there will be more evolving once the twins arrive. I'm half Asian and in non-western culture it's the norm for children to sleep with their mothers until they are about 5 so it doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary for me, although having said that, my mum is white and so is my partner and we live a very western lifestyle in all buy our parenting style.

I think you have to do what's right for you. I have become very thick skinned about people being very ready to tell me what I'm doing wrong about parenting my son. I used to get a little annoyed and militant but now I just find it amusing. When I'm asked what are we going to do when the twins arrive I tell them "get a bigger bed" - which may well be the reality :laugh2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->