co-sleeping

K

KiansMummy

Does any one else co-sleep and Is it safe or not, my LO is 8 weeks nearly and hes slept in my bed since day one , i no its not really safe but he just wont settle in his moses basket and we both get a better night sleep if hes in my bed. Thanks

Co-sleeping is safe if you make sure you're doing it safely! There are precautions you can take to minimise any risks.

I only co-slept a few times, but there are others here who can give you much more information :)

I also bedshare, it is where Kaiden is the happiest and I love it. There are guidelines for making it safe, I know it's on here and hopefully someone will post the link for you. I honestly can't imagine not having him in our bed, lol.

Everything I've read and been told (by my midwife and HV and NHS leaflet) says its perfectly safe if you're breastfeeding and follow the guidelines. Apparently not so if FF though. Apparently BFing mothers are in tune with their babies.

https://www.wikihow.com/Co-Sleep-Safely-With-Your-Baby

Apparently BFing mothers are in tune with their babies.

I only co-slept a few times, and formula feed, but I assure you I was quite "in tune" with my baby, and fully aware of where she was at any given time. I can see that probably more BF mums tend to co-sleep for the convenience of night feeds, but I really resent that implication that somehow formula feeding means that I'm not "in tune" with my baby.

I appreciate you probably didn't intend any offense, but perhaps you should either cite your source of this information (with a link), or reconsider how you word things? :)

OP - I think at the top of the NP section there is a stickied post which has a link to more information on co-sleeping in it.

I only co-slept a few times, and formula feed, but I assure you I was quite "in tune" with my baby, and fully aware of where she was at any given time. I can see that probably more BF mums tend to co-sleep for the convenience of night feeds, but I really resent that implication that somehow formula feeding means that I'm not "in tune" with my baby.

I appreciate you probably didn't intend any offense, but perhaps you should either cite your source of this information (with a link), or reconsider how you word things? :)

OP - I think at the top of the NP section there is a stickied post which has a link to more information on co-sleeping in it.

Glad you said this, I was trying to think how to word a reply to that statement too but I think you have covered it :)

Glad you said this, I was trying to think how to word a reply to that statement too but I think you have covered it :)

same here.

Hi hun i still co-sleep and have done since day 1 so if you want any advice, let me know :D

I of course didn't mean any offence at all, but believed what I wrote to be fact, formula feeding mothers aren't advised to co-sleep. This leaflet about co-sleeping from UNICEF states in bold letters 'If you are bottle feeding the safest place for your baby to sleep is in a cot by your bed.' I didn't mean to imply that those bottle feeding aren't in tune with their babies, I've simply read somewhere (can't remember where but I'm trying to find out) that breastfeeding causes the release of hormones (oxytocin amongst others) which mean that mothers tend to be more in tune with their infants when sleeping, surely this is a survival mechanism as co sleeping would be the natural way to sleep in our natural animal state. No disrespect intended to bottle feeding mothers at all.
https://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/pdfs/sharingbedleaflet.pdf

I think it was the way it was worded.
If you had put something like BF mothers tend to be more in tune with their babies, I wouldn't have taken so much offense.
It came across as saying BF mothers are in tune, FF mothers are not.

However, thanks for clearing it up and for the intersting link. :flower:

This leaflet about co-sleeping from UNICEF states in bold letters 'If you are bottle feeding the safest place for your baby to sleep is in a cot by your bed.' I didn't mean to imply that those bottle feeding aren't in tune with their babies, I've simply read somewhere (can't remember where but I'm trying to find out) that breastfeeding causes the release of hormones (oxytocin amongst others) which mean that mothers tend to be more in tune with their infants when sleeping, surely this is a survival mechanism as co sleeping would be the natural way to sleep in our natural animal state. No disrespect intended to bottle feeding mothers at all.
https://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/pdfs/sharingbedleaflet.pdf

I firmly believe that formula feeding mothers aren't advised to co sleep in order to encourange breastfeeding and nothing more.

I cosleep and FF. I always know exactly where in the bed Edward is, and I wake the second he stirs even if he hasn't made a sound, so I'd say we're pretty in tune ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->