Coca-cola/Pepsi and male infertiliy...?

Oobies

4yrs LTTTC with PCOS
Reaction score
I'm gonna research this anyway but I was just wondering if anyone has any views on it?
Or if they've made their OH cut out cola drinks while TTC, or if thier OH drinks it and they haven't changed that and you've still had a BFP?

It's something my sister told me about a few months back, (she knows were TTC).
She basically stated that when her and her OH decide to TTC she's going to make him cut it out all together (he drinks alot of it).
It's supposed to be bad for the swimmers, slow them down or kill them off or something to that sense. Mind you, according to her research or however she found out about it, this is only exclusive to cola. No other softdrink seems to be a problem, which really doesn't make sense to me. It's not the caffine apparently (so switching to Decaf Coke wouldn't change it), but some other ingrediant that cola has.

Anyway, my OH usually drinks at least 1 600ml bottle every few days. Around about October I made him stop drinking it (I also gave up caffine, and hate Decaf coke it tastes awful so I gave up coke all together as well), in hopes that it would increase our chances.
The start of this cycle I thought, what the hell we're not getting anywhere anyway, so I told him I'm going back to caffine (I missed it's waking-me-up goodness lol) and he could start drinking coke and pepsi again.
So's now I'm wondering, it there really any point to him not drinking it anyway? Does it really kill the swimmmers, and if so, how long would it take for that damage to be reversed? (I know they regenerate rather quickly under normal circumstances, but would the coke affect that?)

Or is it just a new wives tale?

lol, sorry about the long post, but I thought it could be something worth theorising about =)

Any thoughts?

Has your hubby had an SA done? If there is no problems with it then I'd say it has no effect. He only drinks 600ml every few days? I dont think that is a huge amount. If he was drinking 2L a day or something maybe consider getting him to cut down.

Never heard this one... interesting one though!

Hi,
My acupuncturist said caffeine makes the swimmers crazy - fast but then they flake out at the end... Didn't rate her in the end though. My DH did loads of research and said caffeine hasn't been proven to cause lower sperm counts. So it can't be the caffeine. I'm not sure what else it could be. My reflexologist asked if I drink diet coke, and I said no cause of the aspartame. She said it's ok to have the occasional coke and it's better to do things you like and be less stressed out. x

I heard about coke or pepsi zero (don't remember which) having effects on DNA - something in the ingredients. I don't drink soft drinks and DP only does occasionaly - i began pouring out the zero stuff though just in case:blush:

It would make sense to me.. My hubby drink 1 and a half 2l bottles A DAY!!! he's got an addiction to it since quitting smoking nearly 3 years ago.. which would add up as we have been ttc for nearly 3years... he just did his SA and doc has just called him like 10mins ago to go see himm tomorrow. Il let you know what he says

Got me thinking now :-/

xx

The only thing I've heard about it is the caffeine. Hubs drinks a cup of coffee a day and his last sperm count was 150 million :shrug: ...but he only drinks soda a couple of times a year.

Still, I've never been a fan of soft drinks, especially after reading that the average American would lose a minimum of 10 pounds if they just cut soda out of their diet. We need water in our system and when we're drinking stuff like soda and juice instead, chances are we're not getting enough water.

And to echo Nolly- has he had an SA done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->