Cold lasting almost a month, driving me insane!

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to go to the doctor, I hate the idea of someone spreading a cold in the waiting room just to be told "there's nothing you can do for a cold but wait it out", however this is driving me nuts! So I am going in in the next few days.

In the mean time...a rant? Or has anyone else had a cold last so long? In all my 31 years I've never had a cold like it.

So it started off like all my colds do, with a tender feeling in the back of my nose. Followed by sneezing, blocked and runny nose, then sore throat etc. I felt better about 4 days later. Still had the runny nose but felt ok. Day 7 after first getting the cold, the sore throat came back, and a tickly feeling in my lungs. Then bam, next day I had chills and fever, felt queasy, body ached, I was miserable. I struggled to even change a nappy and I had zero motivation to move off the couch. Which I obviously had to with kids.

Continued to feel like I'd been hit by a truck for a few days. Sore throat persisting. Other cold symptoms persisting. Odd moments of sudden hot flush feeling, prickly sweat would just suddenly occur.

So it's now almost 3 weeks since the end of the first 'cold', I have been sick for about a month.

I feel very tired, I fell asleep during the day 3 times yesterday. Lethargic, moody, sore throat (but not where I usually get one, more in the upper front, where that...err...dangly thing dangles and to the sides of that), cough, odd moments of feeling fevered. If the back of my nose or throat get at all dry, the feeling is horrible, like it's all sticking together then ripping apart.

Everyone else is fine. The kids have had a runny nose since I got my first cold, but it's normal for them to have a runny nose a long time after being exposed to illness. They are happy and no complaints of feeling sick or sore by my son.

The nurse at the GP clinic advised it was hay fever. I've had hay fever since I was 4...this is no hay fever. Hay fever is irritating but easily fixed with a pill or nose spray, which I have, this is the everlasting bloody cold!

Would a doctor even do anything generally? Or just tell me I'm dumb to come in for a cold?

Oh I don't have swollen lymph nodes, I don't think it's a strep throat sort of thing. And I have had a mild frontal headache for the last 3 weeks also.

Could it be tonsillitus? A friend of mine recently had what she thoughy was the flu but after 2 weeks it hadn't got any better and she went back to the doctors, turns out she had tonsillitus! She had the same symptoms as you x

Do you take any supplements? It sounds like your body is having a hard time kicking this one!

I take zinc and cranberry, which seems to really help with my colds.

Are you breastfeeding? When I was bfing, I was sick constantly from my body being depleted so badly. It was hard for my immune system to keep up I think.

I hope you feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->