Cold Question

VanWest

1 baby, 4 step-kids
Reaction score
How old was LO when they had thier first cold?

Lily has one at the moment, but she also had one basically as soon as she come out! Her nose is terrible at the moment, really disrupts her sleep! Has noah just got one? Its always hard seeing them in discomfort

x

i was worried my LO might get one as me and my partner are so ill with it at the moment

Charlotte got a cold around 3-4 months. It was heartbreaking to see.

Then they go and get colds all the time later on and have permanent runny noses. Delightful!

Sam got a cold at around 3 months - was really worried that it would get worse and he wouldn't be able to breathe properly when I was feeding him, but it was gone in a couple of days. He was snoring more than his dad though...

I was scared he was going to get one. Im such a nut when it comes to colds/stomach bugs etc that I send my step-kids out of the house for about a week. Then I got to thinking is it a catch-22 ? He's a preemie they say not to let him get sick, but then you hear people/healthcare professionals say all babys need to be exposed to germs. My mother-in law said my husband Brad didnt get his first cold til he was 1, and she thinks thats why he was so horriably ill afterwards because she didnt let him get exposed to all the germs to fight things off later in life. So am I hendering Noah ? helping? I have no clue anymore!!

I was scared he was going to get one. Im such a nut when it comes to colds/stomach bugs etc that I send my step-kids out of the house for about a week. Then I got to thinking is it a catch-22 ? He's a preemie they say not to let him get sick, but then you hear people/healthcare professionals say all babys need to be exposed to germs. My mother-in law said my husband Brad didnt get his first cold til he was 1, and she thinks thats why he was so horriably ill afterwards because she didnt let him get exposed to all the germs to fight things off later in life. So am I hendering Noah ? helping? I have no clue anymore!!

its so hard to know what to do for your little one, I think its just a balance, we can't protect them from everything and also having contact with things helps build up their immune systems!

I think it's not so much letting them catch colds etc. that strengthens their immune system, but general exposure to germs (as they start to explore more, put things in their mouths etc). Catching one cold doesn't protect you against the next one, as these bugs are always mutating - unlike something like chicken pox where catching it once will make you immune. I don't think a baby would be any worse off if they didn't happen to catch a cold for the first year (for example).

I think it's more important not to obsessively sterilise everything they come into contact with once their immune systems are mature enough to handle a few germs x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->