colds and flu

Blessedbaby

Mum to two and expecting
Reaction score
hi ladies

I seem to be coming down with a cold. Its the start of winter this side of the world and both my kids are also sick with the flu.

Is there any safe OTC meds I can get for myself or would it be best to go to my GP?

My nose is stuffy, but its been like this forever (thanks hormones) and my throat feels like its on fire. Its not heartburn as its difficult to swallow anything.

I also have aches and pains but I think that is due to the pregnancy.

No there isnt. Sorry....saline drops for nose and I used the kids vaporiser. Have to ride it out. Its horrible xx

oh no I just got back from the pharmacy and he only gave me saline drops and told me the same ... he said if I feel worse to rather go to dr for some antibiotics ...

What I normally do for a cold is honey, lemon and ginger tea (not like from a tea bag, like actual honey with lemon juice and grated ginger) and then make sure I'm taking vitamin C and zinc. I take it in pretty high doses, like about 1000-2000 mg a day of vitamin C (which should be safe for pregnancy as it's water soluable). But I would stick to the normal intake of zinc for the day during pregnancy. I take more though when not pregnant. Then also use a neti pot (saline nasal spray is an option too if you aren't into the idea of a neti pot). Plus paracetamol for headache/sinus pain/body aches. That usually does it. I started to get a cold on Tuesday and that's what I've been doing and it's pretty much gone now. If you have a fever though, I would see a doctor. But if it's just a cold, I'd try that.

thanks MindUtopia I will make some of that tea when I get home from work ... just 4 more hours of sticking it out ...

Paracetamol is usually allowed during pregnancy. Ask your doctor.

Steaming with menthol as well to help with the congestion.

I had the flu around 20 weeks and have a cold right now, Panadol has been about all I can take.

If it's a cold there are antibiotics you can take so I would definitely tell your doctor/midwife. They really don't want pregnant ladies getting a cold or flu cause it could turn into pneumonia.

If it's the flu they'll need to test you just in case, but there is nothing you can take for it unfortunately since it's a virus.

I just recovered from a very bad cold and that's what my own doctor told me. Sorry you're not feeling great hun.

I don't know if you have it there, but I was told cepacol throat spray was fine. It's helps me sleep at night so my throat doesn't hurt so much when I swallow.

thanks ladies I ended up going to my GP on Friday as I felt worse and had a horrible pain in my left shoulder blade which he put down as a kidney infection and gave me antibiotics for it and my cold ... Im still trying to recover and have made the ginger tea this entire weekend and the fact that my kids are sick too doesn't help much with my recovery ...Im at work today and feeling a tad bit better ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->