Colton has a cold!!

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
He has had a runny nose for about 4-5 days now, a sore and hoarse throat for about 3 days, and started getting a little cough yesterday. He also stopped taking his feeds like he was yesterday. He was taking 4oz every 4 hours, now he is only taking 2oz every 3-4 hours.
I called his pediatrician yesterday and she told me to give him saline nasal drops and then suck it out with his booger sucker. However, nothing is coming out. It's all down in his throat and chest. I can tell he is having trouble breathing through it, and she said that is probably why he is not taking his feeds (because he is sucking alot of air in and not the formula).
After trying the saline nasal drops he isn't getting any better. He is still only taking 2oz every 3-4 hours (although with his last feed I got him to take almost 1oz of water about 15 minutes afterwards).
She told us she doesn't want us giving him any infant tylenol or anything as he is still so young. So does anyone know anything I can do to help him? He sounds so bad. :cry:

:hugs: Oh hon, I'm sorry he has a cold. I hope he gets better soon. All I can suggest is make sure he's eating, even if its not the same amount as before so he gets as much fluids as possible.

Also, if you think he's getting worse or is having a really bad time trying to breath then take him in and get checked out.

You could try massaging his chest to help ease his chest congestion. I'm trying to find you some instructions or pictures to show how to do it, but no luck so far.. will get back to you. x

EDIT: (from https://www.noodleandboo.com/baby_massage.shtml)
chest and stomach: Strokes on the stomach should always be made downward and clockwise. Place both of your hands flat, side by side, in the middle of the chest and push out to the sides gently, following the ribs. Position your hands so that they rest on either side of the baby's torso, just above the hipbones. Keeping your hand flat, use one hand to stroke diagonally across the baby's chest to the opposite shoulder. Cup the shoulder, and push down gently. Gently slide your hand back to its starting position. Repeat several times, and then switch to the opposite shoulder.

:hugs: i hope your LO is feeling better soon, its awful when there ill you just want to have it for them x

Thanks everyone!
Lauren-Kate.. I think I am going to try the massage. He is sleeping right now though and it says to do it when they are awake, so I will wait until later.

His nose is sounding better, he is just congrested down in his throat/chest still. Hopefully his throat and slight cough will start getting better!
I have a doctors appointment tomorrow that was made to check in on his weight, as he had only gained 1oz since birth (and he never lost any), but I'm sure she will check out his cold now aswell. It's not until 9:15AM, so just waiting until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->