Combi feeding and breast supply?

Juicyg

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my boy breast milk all day apart from 2 bottles that my husband gives him in the evenings. These will either be formula or breast milk if I've produced enough. I generally don't express great quantities and at most only one of these bottles will be breast milk.

My question is when feeding him a bottle of formula like ive just done do I still pump?
I have been doing so but I've recently been giving him both breasts too.

I'm worried about my supply going down, how do I prevent this from happening?

Reason for thus question is I'm worried I'm not producing enough.
My baby is 6wks and 2days old and this evening we had a right nightmare. He wasn't due a feed till 5.40 but he was really fussing so I fed him at 5pm. Which isn't too bad. I fed him for around 30mins. He then started getting really fussy at 6pm,nothing would settle him so I fed him again for 30mins.
He had his bath and then straight after that started fussing again. So I gave him his bottle of formula at 7.30 which he demolished! Now do I still pump??

Thanks in advance x

Yes, if you are concerned about your supply you absolutely need to pump if you feed baby formula. Oh and i would just feed him on demand, don't worry about when he is due a feed, just keep paying attention to his cues and feed him whenever! :)

Thanks I find things so confusing being a first time mum.
When do I pump? Sorry if that's a stupid question...
I say he was due a feed but generally he asks for food every 3 hours,almost on cue! If he wakes and wants it earlier then I give it to him.

I worry so much that im not producing enough for him to be satisfied x

I'd feed him the formula, then pump. Even if you don't get much out, like if he just bf or something, its still telling your body that we need more milk. Www.kellymom.com is an excellent resource as well , she really knows her stuff!

Thanks again, I am now pumping! I will check that link out for sure.
Don't know why I thought breast feeding was going to be more straight forward than this, how naive was I lol!!x

I did too lol, I mean what could be more natural right? We had a hard time at the start too, lots of formula, pumping, had to use nipple shields, two bouts of mastitis, it took six weeks but we finally got to ebf. It does get better I promise! :)

Omg you sound like me! We had a tough start too! Seriously the pain I was in to begin with was horrible, had to use nipple shields too! We introduced a bottle to give me a break and have only just introduced a 2nd! I have also had a bout of mastitis but was lucky as I got it really early and only had 1 feed where it hurt so much I nearly cried. I feel like I have gotten over so many hurdles, I'm so determined to carry on with bf!!
I feel much better now that's for sure and am even getting adventurous enough to do it in public lol!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->