combination feeding with formula & breast

xLuciax

TTC #4
Reaction score
I just wanted some advice for those ladies who do combo feed they're babies I was only going to breast feed but once my breasts are empty they do take a really long time to re load so I am now having to combo feed with formula so my son doesnt get really hungry anyway he is almost 4 weeks old and on the formula pack it says around this time he should be taking in 4-5 ounces but only ever will take in 2 or sometimes 3 if hes extra hungry is this normal as hes adjusted to how much the breast milk comes out

thanks!

I have given formula on occasions and Alfie only ever takes a couple of ounces, 3 at the most. Evie was ff and she used to take a lot more in one sitting. I think its because Alfie is bf on demand so he eats little and often. Do you give a bf before you give the formula?

Can't give any advice on combi feeding but just wanted to say that your breasts are never really "empty". Even when all the stored milk is used up, milk can still be produced while your baby is actually feeding. Just because your breasts haven't had time to fill up again doesn't mean he can't get any milk. :flower:

I have given formula on occasions and Alfie only ever takes a couple of ounces, 3 at the most. Evie was ff and she used to take a lot more in one sitting. I think its because Alfie is bf on demand so he eats little and often. Do you give a bf before you give the formula?

not really unless he is really screaming and the bottle is taking a long time to cool down or heat i'll let him suckle till its done but thats only been a few times

Can't give any advice on combi feeding but just wanted to say that your breasts are never really "empty". Even when all the stored milk is used up, milk can still be produced while your baby is actually feeding. Just because your breasts haven't had time to fill up again doesn't mean he can't get any milk. :flower:

thanks :) sometimes my breast will just feel like pure jelly so I assumed there was nothing left cause I never hear alejandro swallowing

not really unless he is really screaming and the bottle is taking a long time to cool down or heat i'll let him suckle till its done but thats only been a few times

If you offer the breast before giving formula and 'top up' with formula afterwards you will probably find your supply goes up (or won't decrease as much). I've had times especially during growth spurts where I've felt empty but I let him suckle whenever he wanted for a day or two and then my supply went right up again. Just a thought in case you wanted to increase your supply.

Evie used to have her bottles in two sittings, she'd never guzzle 6 oz all at once but she'd have a bit, then have a break for maybe 20mins and then I'd try her with some more.

I combi fed after i was told i had low supply at the hospital and lo wasn't gaining any weight. I used to just give a small top up of 1oz after each breastfeed (hospital told me this was enough to help lo without being too much to damage my supply or put him off his next feed) and this helped him a lot. Once you start it is very hard to keep your supply up though. Some how i managed to stay breastfeeding (just finishing now at almost 6 months) but it gets hard. If you would prefer to exclusively breastfeed i would express in the evenings and let him suckle even if you think he isn't getting any, this is how he increases your supply when he needs it - he will let you know if he isn't happy! If you want to combi feed i would do what has already been suggested and only offer the bottle as a 'top up' to limit any damage to your supply. Good luck and enjoy! x

I combi fed after i was told i had low supply at the hospital and lo wasn't gaining any weight. I used to just give a small top up of 1oz after each breastfeed (hospital told me this was enough to help lo without being too much to damage my supply or put him off his next feed) and this helped him a lot. Once you start it is very hard to keep your supply up though. Some how i managed to stay breastfeeding (just finishing now at almost 6 months) but it gets hard. If you would prefer to exclusively breastfeed i would express in the evenings and let him suckle even if you think he isn't getting any, this is how he increases your supply when he needs it - he will let you know if he isn't happy! If you want to combi feed i would do what has already been suggested and only offer the bottle as a 'top up' to limit any damage to your supply. Good luck and enjoy! x

great advice thank you! :flower:

I also would give a small top up after breast feeding to keep my supply up. I would also put him on my breast exclusively during the night. Sometimes that meant he'd be suckling for an hour at a time (co-sleeping is a lifesaver for this).
I'm still combo feeding at near 11 months. I exclusively BF him at night and he gets formula mostly during the day because I'm at work and the pump just wasn't getting anything much and he gets solids as well during the day now.

It doesn't sound like you need to combi feed to be honest. Its normal for babies to feed very frequently. Feeding every hour for 30mins is normal (exhausting but normal). Boobs feeling full or empty don't indicate how good your supply is. They are never empty. If baby suckles when they feel emptier the baby gets lots of rich fatty milk and at the same time tells your body it needs to make more milk. Your body will then increase the amount of milk it makes. If you give formula then your body won't know it needs to make more milk and your supply will drop.

If you intend to breastfeed long term and wish to exclusivly express you could try a couple things to increase your supply. Fenugreek has helped a lot of women up thier supply. It is a herbal remedy you can get from places like holland and barrett and usually women see a boost to thier supply within 3 days. Expressing 2 hourly during the day is also a good way to increase your supply and it tells your body that more milk is needed.

When it comes to Breast feeding "supply and demand", the demand comes first and the supply matches the demand. The only ways to tell if you have a low supply is if the baby isn't gaining enough weight, or the baby doesn't wee as often.

At that age, he should be eating quite frequently. This is also about the time when your breasts will stop feeling very engorged, at around 4 weeks I also thought mine were "empty" and turns out like the others are saying, they aren't ever "empty" Just when I think Charlie has emptied a breast I let him stay on and he will start gulping again.
Topping up with formula (nothing wrong with it for sure) but if you intend to breast feed only it will hurt your supply more than anything. Keep baby on the breast as much as you can, he will naturally increase your supply.
Try eating oatmeal, it helps increase supply, as well as many other things including drinking a TON of water.
Im not against combination feeding, I did that with my first, but I often feel like with a little more advice or guidance I would have been able to successfully breast feed without formula

I also would give a small top up after breast feeding to keep my supply up. I would also put him on my breast exclusively during the night. Sometimes that meant he'd be suckling for an hour at a time (co-sleeping is a lifesaver for this).
I'm still combo feeding at near 11 months. I exclusively BF him at night and he gets formula mostly during the day because I'm at work and the pump just wasn't getting anything much and he gets solids as well during the day now.

Good point - i forgot to say i didn't offer any top ups during the night either, just breast. I think night feeds are quite important with supply too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->