Combining breast and bottle

xZoeyx

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm cautiously asking for advice.

I'm totally anti-breastfeed in the sense I'm not comfortable at all with the thought of doing it. BUT I commend the ladies that can do it, I envy you, I wish I could get past the "stigma" and be able too.

My first baby was bottle fed from the first feed.

I'm pregnant again now only 6 weeks but I really really want to talk myself into breastfeeding because I feel it will help with bond and I suffered severe PND with my son.
The only way I think I could allow myself to do it would be if I combined bottle and breast because there's no way I'd have the confidence to breastfeed around people so I'd need the option to bottle feed for that.

I ask - how easy is this? How realistic is this? Your own stories? How often would I be pumping to produce 1-2 bottles a day for if I'm out of a night feed by other half? Help me convince myself I can do it!

Totally possible. I pumped 4 times a day with both kids for 7-8 months. I would nurse at night and give expressed milk during the day. You get used to it and it becomes a routine. I loved the fact that I didn't have to whip out the boob each time the baby was hungry, just brought along a bottle or two when I was out.

I'm very new to breastfeeding, as my first baby is only 3 months old. I've had my share of struggles with it myself, but I'll try to be helpful!

I would be lying if I told you that breastfeeding is the easiest thing I've ever done, but I would say it's one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. I've had trouble with low supply and a slow flow that are taking some work to overcome, but it's a totally worthwhile investment in my opinion, and though I would love my daughter so much either way, it really does create a bond that's just so different. That sleepy milk-drunk face is the best thing ever in the early weeks! You can read all about the benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby, like giving baby's immune system a boost, bonding, feel good hormones, etc.

Although I've had some difficulties to overcome, I know it comes so easily to what seems to be the majority of moms. You do have options, of course. Like stellababy, you could nurse at certain times and pump at certain times to give you the freedom of bottle feeding, or you could pump exclusively if you find you don't enjoy nursing but still want the benefits of breastfeeding.

I'd say it's totally realistic to want and get both experiences at the same time! Plenty of women don't exclusively breastfeed, especially working moms. You can pump as much as you like or find time during the day between feedings to get a little stash growing in fridge/freezer. Then all you have to do is warm the milk and put it in a bottle! As far as how often you'd have to pump, it could be as little or as much as you like. It partially depends on your schedule: if you're working during the day, you'll need to pump enough for the baby's feeds the next day and/or for some bottles here and there at night if you want OH to take a night feeding or going out to dinner or something. If you're home during the day and will mostly breastfeed, you can just pump a bit after feeding baby here and there as you have time and store it up for whenever you need it. The other part depends on your milk supply. When your milk first comes in 3-5 days after baby is born, you should have more than enough for baby and your supply will regulate usually around 6 weeks to provide only what baby needs. This is a great time to do some pumping here and there to get some milk stored up!

You never know, you may find you enjoy breastfeeding! I'd encourage you to give it a try for sure. You can always come here with questions or for support or encouragement!

This is my 4th child, and the first time that I'm successfully pumping. All my other have been breastfed and formula fed. I personally don't have it in me to exclusively breastfeed. It's too much on me. But yeah, I think it's doable. Whatever works for you!

You can def do it hun! Like yourself i struggled with the idea of breastfeeding and my son was ff from day one. With baby girl i really wanted to try bf.
Then i had a hard labour n she ended up with a bottle. :dohh:

After we got out the hospital i was upset with myself. I always knew id combo feed as i just dont like not knowing whats in my milk as it were.

Well I tried getting her to latch but she'd get frustrated. This was day 6. On day 9 we saw a midwife n she got me to express and i got some milk out. We then went n bought me a pump n i started pumping. It wasnt very much at first and dd still wouldnt latch. I got nipple shields and dd would latch however only to the shield which caused me a lot of pain :dohh:

Just yesterday we decided i wpuld pump n ff as trying to also bf ontop what with my 3yo was becoming all consuming. If dd had latched directly to the boob i know i would be bf and ff at night but nevermind. By pumping she is still getting all the goodness of breast and formula.

I pump 3-4 times a day and this for me produces two 3.5oz bottles. But everyone is different. And it can also vary from day to day.

You can do it mumma!!! I felt exactly the same way as you and i am soooo proud for overcoming my own issues for my baby girl! You got this!!! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->