"Comic Relief money should be spent on contraception"

No child will go starving in the UK. NONE. Millions of babies literally starve to death in Africa every year :nope:

plenty of children go starving in this country too, again not saying its as bad as africa

They don't starve to death. They might not have totally nutritionally balanced diets but they get fed and if they don't, thats social services fault. No charity would help that :shrug:

No child will go starving in the UK. NONE. Millions of babies literally starve to death in Africa every year :nope:

plenty of children go starving in this country too, again not saying its as bad as africa

Again i have to agree - the thing is its easy to send money to feed them but next year because of lack of understanding/education/contraception, next year theres gonna be thosands more children starving as they still having babies they cant afford to feed -

the amount of money given to africa really hasnt seemed to make a whole lot of difference, i no it does to certain communities but unless their government is changed, no amount of money will ever help them.

the government only seem to care about south africa and yet places like kenya where my oh spent a month, they have nothing to lose so act completly disgusting! there is a british army camp out there and some of our lads working were gang raped just because they went out of the camp. and they could smell burning flesh for a week because someone stole a goat in the village and was burnt to death

They don't just send food. They send seeds, fishing nets, gardening equipment etc. They dont send bottled water, they build wells. A baby over here doesnt die of disentry cos their bottle was made with dirty water, a baby over here doesnt go blind and die from a disease thats treatable with a small operation :shrug:

the amount of money given to africa really hasnt seemed to make a whole lot of difference, i no it does to certain communities but unless their government is changed, no amount of money will ever help them.

the government only seem to care about south africa and yet places like kenya where my oh spent a month, they have nothing to lose so act completly disgusting! there is a british army camp out there and some of our lads working were gang raped just because they went out of the camp. and they could smell burning flesh for a week because someone stole a goat in the village and was burnt to death

? South africa is a completely different country, they dont have the same governments. Thats like saying the UK is the same as Greece cos theyre both in europe.

eta - africa is a CONTINENT, not a country. Theres 50 odd countries in africa lol

excuse me for not paying attention in geography!

that still doesnt make a difference to my point, that its their government that need sorting before we just keep throwing money at the problem which isnt working!

ive seen first hand some charities in this country that dont get funding but help so many people. we need to concertrate on them instead

What are you on about? So because people are living under a dictatorship (do you know what a dictatorship is?) they don't deserve food? That logic is bizarre.

i think thats the point, we have been raising millions every year and the problem just seems to get worse, without education the help is fruitless -
my Daughters paternal grandmother is south african and has told me stories that would curl your toes and break your heart from the outside in which i cant/wont discuss on a baby forum but which can only be down to bad/no education....it explains why theres alot of babies born each year and accounts for alot more deaths of newborns than i really care to think about and certainly more than any government would like us to know about ;o(

What are you on about? So because people are living under a dictatorship (do you know what a dictatorship is?) they don't deserve food? That logic is bizarre.

there is no need to make out im stupid so less of the sarcastic comments as thats childish and not needed.

you may think your the only one to have a valid comment but your not, if you cant handle people not agreeing with u then maybe a disgustion isnt the place for u

Again i have to agree - the thing is its easy to send money to feed them but next year because of lack of understanding/education/contraception, next year theres gonna be thosands more children starving as they still having babies they cant afford to feed -

But loads of people in this country have children that they cant afford to feed (i.e people who are claiming benefits to bring up their children) I dont see many people saying that benefit money should be spent on contraception in this country.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry, I find your logic baffling and wanted you to explain it. IDK if you think the charities just give the african governments a wad of cash or something? It goes to build schools, pay for operations, build wells etc etc Idk how the government being full of disgusting dictators who violate human rights over and over have anything to do with that.

u can already get free condoms and other contraceptives in this country though

It is very easy too sit on the outside and say what other country's should & shouldn't do to make things better for themselves, in reality, we can't even come close to comprehending what it must be like for people in 3rd world country's so therefore maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge and make statements of 'well if they just did .....' :shrug:

I completely agree, there is so much going on that people do not realise!!!

But loads of people in this country have children that they cant afford to feed (i.e people who are claiming benefits to bring up their children) I dont see many people saying that benefit money should be spent on contraception in this country.

I agree - dont even get me started on that one lol

So we have children starving in the UK like the children in Africa......i think not. Don't you think if the people in Africa could get food/grow food and have access to clean drinking water would let the kids go without? i dont think the parents of these children in Africa would choose to go out and buy alcohol, fags and drugs instead of food if they had the choice!
If a child isnt being fed in this country that is definitely down to the parent NOT buying it for them even though they are given help to do so and unlike Africa a lot of people have the choice to stop having kids, if they cant afford them, there is so much rape going on in Africa and there isnt enough access to free contraception x

Money is spent on contraception in this country. Under 25s get free condoms from the sexual health clinics, alot of GPs offer them with the pill too. I don't think it's just about condoms though, ALL our contraception to prevent pregnancy is free and there is education in school about unprotected sex, STIs, AIDS/HIV pregnancy etc.
I have to agree that after 30+ years of raising money for Africa I'm getting a bit disheartened that it doesn't seem to be resolving any of the problems over there. This makes me reluctant to donate and in all honesty I do think there are charities over here that could do with the massive injection of funds that comic relief provide to Africa

Well this is my opinion... contraception may be a part of the problems that effect developing countries but what comic relief does is help and support projects that the government wont or cant support and this is long term, they stay with them and help them build an infrastructure that will last and hopefully one day changes will be made that they wont need this help anymore.

Charity does begin at home... however we have the NHS, social housing, free medication for children/ pregnant women, free education up to 18 years etc

When was the last time you saw a child in this country cry because they were not allowed to go to school because their fees have not been paid? Children being orphaned because their parents died and couldn't get basic health care provisions? I know that as a child I never wanted to go to school, I took everything for granted.

Its always down to money and unless the country is economically stable they will always need help and I'm proud to help, I try to help as many charities as I can in this country and others, you can only do what you feel is right and believe at the end of the day.

See, I dont agree with the 'charity begins at home' statement, why is a child in the UK more deserving than one in Africa because of where they were born? To me charity begins with whoever needs the money the most. There are systems in place to prevent children starving in the UK already, these are not in place in other parts of the world so to me that is where the money should go.

We should be helping these people to develop and help themselves and that is where I believe we can make a difference. Yes is is disheartening because there is a lot of corruption which can stop the money going to the right places and also the problems are so big that it can look like nothing is changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->