"Comic Relief money should be spent on contraception"

We should never stop trying to help people less fortunate then ourselves. Even if it seems fruitless

No child will go starving in the UK. NONE. Millions of babies literally starve to death in Africa every year :nope:

plenty of children go starving in this country too, again not saying its as bad as africa

Again i have to agree - the thing is its easy to send money to feed them but next year because of lack of understanding/education/contraception, next year theres gonna be thosands more children starving as they still having babies they cant afford to feed -

But loads of people in this country have children that they cant afford to feed (i.e people who are claiming benefits to bring up their children) I dont see many people saying that benefit money should be spent on contraception in this country.

Money is spent on contraception in this country. Under 25s get free condoms from the sexual health clinics, alot of GPs offer them with the pill too. I don't think it's just about condoms though, ALL our contraception to prevent pregnancy is free and there is education in school about unprotected sex, STIs, AIDS/HIV pregnancy etc.
I have to agree that after 30+ years of raising money for Africa I'm getting a bit disheartened that it doesn't seem to be resolving any of the problems over there. This makes me reluctant to donate and in all honesty I do think there are charities over here that could do with the massive injection of funds that comic relief provide to Africa

Yes and even with all that how many people get pregnant without meaning to or without being able to support their child? How many people still get STIS HIV etc etc....my point is that even with all those things in place in the UK and everyone having access to them we still have these issues, why would putting them in place in Africa get rid of them if it has not done here? Yes, maybe it might reduce to some extent but I dont think it would be the magic answer to the problems there

The UK sex ed system needs a massive overhaul IMO but thats another discussion for another day :flower:

I think people forget to realise how huge Africa is as a whole.....
There are 955 million people living there 380 million are poor living in poverty as a comparison there is 60 million people living in the uk.

Also comic relief started in 1985 and is on every two years. So thats 13 years of raising money for Africa and the UK to.
comic relief raised £57 million this year but that doesnt ALL go to Africa and im pretty sure what does go there doesnt even scratch the suface but has made a HUGE difference in some peoples way of life. x

And what about sport relief which is the same charity under a different name? My mum also remembers school events to raise money for Africa, so that would have been late 60's early 70's, we have been raising money for Africa since before comic relief and none of it seems to have even dented the problems over there.

I'm talking purely about the money comic relief makes. Charitys are on going......Nspcc.... Rspca....etc you dont just solve problems due to to a few years fundraising same goes for all the money that comic relief use in this country will still have problems. If you have such a problem about the amount of money going over to Africa then dont donate.

I dont understand how people have a problem with comic relief. If you dont agree then dont donate :shrug:

If you feel your money is better spent else where donate to those charities instead

Also how long has the NSPCC been around? Children are still abused and neglected so should we just give up on them too?

The RSPCA animals are still abused neglected even after all the money given so should we all just think screw it we cant help so lets not bother?

But it's not just about the money comic relief has made, you have to think about the money raised for Africa all over the world, we're not the only country giving money, the US, Germany, Finland and more raise money for Africa and they are still in the same situation :shrug:

But it's not just about the money comic relief has made, you have to think about the money raised for Africa all over the world, we're not the only country giving money, the US, Germany, Finland and more raise money for Africa and they are still in the same situation :shrug:

Again so we should just stop trying?

People dont have to donate so whats the problem that the people who can afford to do. Like i said earlier even if it helps one child or one village is that not enough?

But isnt that the same with all charities? can you name one charity that has said 'ok we have solved the problem we were set up to'?

No it's not the same with all charities. You can see the changes made by some charities.

How many of you can honestly say that after RND you actually think about the conditions in africa, India or any other country with a high poverty, mortality rate?

No it's not the same with all charities. You can see the changes made by some charities.

How many of you can honestly say that after RND you actually think about the conditions in africa, India or any other country with a high poverty, mortality rate?

And I can see changes made in Africa, there is still a long way to go but that is because the problem is so big.

And yes, having spent time living in India and under developed parts of the Middle East its not something that I just forget about.

](*,)

I do. I donate when I can.

River sponsored a goat for a while :D

But so what if its only for one night? That one night of people caring raised 74 million!

So far they have raised 74 mil, they can't make changes overnight but in a year, 2 years they can.

V xxx

Not read the whole thread. But I don't believe you can force someone to use contraception especially if they don't believe in it. It's like trying to force someone in the UK to use it, there would be uproar. Just because thy are in poverty doesn't mean they don't have the same rights. The money should be spent on medical help for sufferers of HIV and AIDS which I'm sure some of it is.

Millions got donated for Haiti after the earthquake, yet its still bad there, it does make me wonder what goes on! If the country has nothing to offer, people just dont want to know. As soon as a country with oil goes tits up, thats a different story! Look at the UK get involved!!

Japan is starting to die out on news channels already too!

I donate a £1 to RND. I dont think thats the end of the world yet if everyone donated a £1 things could help. I do believe charity starts at home though x

I think thats out of order because if the person who stated that on facebook was to actually watch one of those documentarys about countrys like that theyd know that nine times out of ten the women get raped there, and they havent got abortion clinics or pregnancy test kits like us so there made to go on with the pregnancy.

I dont think I could bear to have a baby out there knowing the high risks of infant death , I think id rather not have any at all to be honest, its heartbreaking. I think they need education on contraception, but its easy for us to say that living here. :nope:

And I can see changes made in Africa, there is still a long way to go but that is because the problem is so big.

And yes, having spent time living in India and under developed parts of the Middle East its not something that I just forget about.

Oh and one example of how i have seen change in Africa... Lenny henry dipping into his own pocket to buy an orphaned family a better place to live... it meant the eldest son age 16 doesnt need to work so much to pay rent, although he will still need to work to provide food for his 4 younger siblings he doesnt have to work so much now...meaning he can attend school which means....making a better life for himself.!!!

I dont think I could bear to have a baby out there knowing the high risks of infant death , I think id rather not have any at all to be honest, its heartbreaking. I think they need education on contraception, but its easy for us to say that living here. :nope:

Alot of them dont have a choice ! :flower:

I had River and this baby because I wanted too. These women dont sit their and think ooo i want a baby they get pregnant because their husbands expect them to have sex with them.

Pregnancy is a bi product of sex over their in the truest form!

They are getting told that using contraception is a sin how can we educate them against that

of course its easy for us to say that when we are born into a country where everybody takes everything for granted we have pregnancy tests and the medical equipment to get us by but this countrys still poppin out kids left right and centre so in all honesty we are actually the ungratefull ones in all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->