Coming to terms with needing a section. Looking for reassurance

MEPride

Reaction score
At 28 weeks my LO flipped breech and I started Spinning Babies, chiropractor. I was told at next visit she was head down and was happy. My mw didn't do an ultrasound. Fast forward to yesterday (35+1) I saw another mw (same group) who did a scan because she wasn't sure the position and it turns out my LO is breech. I have a theory she never flipped to begin with as I never felt any big movement.

Now we are talking about doing a version which scares me. And then a likely cesarean if it doesn't work. Knowing the odds are not great for a successful version, I have all but resigned myself to a cesarean.

I've been crying since I left the mw office. I really wanted a natural birth. Was looking forward to it. I had these ideas of a water birth and being at home.... and though I kept telling myself I'd be fine with whatever happens and that I shouldn't PLAN.... its hitting me hard. I think harder than it would normally because I spent the last 5 weeks thinking she was head down and I was in the clear. Now she's getting too big to flip on her own.

I haven't given up all hope. Still seeing my chiropractor. But I can't afford to go 4x/week as recommended between work schedule and my insurance not covering any treatment. I am going to try moxibustion this week sometime.

I dunno, I'm looking for some reassurance from women in similar situations. DH is wonderful and full of optimism, but it just isn't the same.

Hello!
Ideas in exactly the same situation with my ds. I found out at 33 weeks that he was breach and I only found out because I went j due to reduced movements, my midwife kept telling me he was head down!!

I also dreamed of a water birth!

I went back for a further scan at 36 weeks as they said that would be the latest he could turn if he was going to but he was still breach and so they booked me in the next week to try and manually turn him. Please really think about whether you want them to do this as like you said it's not very successful and even though I have a high pain threshold I found it incredibly painful. They give you a injection in your arm to relax your uterus and then basically push your stomach round. For a week afterwards my whole bump felt bruised I couldn't even touch it! You then have to stay on the ward for a couple of hours incase it sends you into labour. They booked in my cesarian there and then because it didn't work. Sorry I am not trying to make you more worried about it but in my personal opinion I will not be allowing them to do it again if I have to.

I then went home and cried for hours at the thought that I would have to have a c-section i almost felt like i had failed slightly! But i soon got over it with the excitement that I knew when my DS was coming and went into full organisation mode trying to prepare. I could also even plan a nice final day out shopping and going out for dinner (things you will not be doing for a while) just before c-section day which was really nice!

When it came round to the day of my section it couldn't have gone smoother, I turned up at 9am as they asked and was shown to the ward where I waited with my dh and family who kept my nerves at bay! About an hour before the midwives came and gave me my gown and put the canular in. I walked down to the operating theatre and the nurses and doctors were lovely and made me feel so relaxed, there was music playing which took your mind off what was going on and before I knew it (6 minutes!!!) They lifted my DS above the curtain and I had him on my chest for the rest of the procedure which was about 45 minutes so I hardly noticed what they were doing!

It was at that point when they placed him on my chest that i realised it didnt matter how he came into the world but the fact that that was what i had to do to make sure my ds got here safely!

Goodluck and do not worry about a thing!!
If you want any further details about what's involved in the actual c-section please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you, Gray. That does put my mind at ease some. I am very much undecided whether I want to do the version but I also know the risks of surgery are greater than the risks for a version. Pain is temporary so I'm not worried about that.

Thank you for your kind words.

Which breech presentation is your little one in? If you really do have your heart set on a vaginal delivery I would be talking to a midwife who has a lot of experience in breech births. Sections are only the norm for such babies now because there is less and less knowledgeable midwives to be able to attend these births. There are plenty of births on You Tube of woman have breech water babies and manage without any problem. Don't give up hope if spinning your little one didn't work. <3

Which breech presentation is your little one in? If you really do have your heart set on a vaginal delivery I would be talking to a midwife who has a lot of experience in breech births. Sections are only the norm for such babies now because there is less and less knowledgeable midwives to be able to attend these births. There are plenty of births on You Tube of woman have breech water babies and manage without any problem. Don't give up hope if spinning your little one didn't work. <3

I'm not 100% sure as I didn't think to ask at the time my midwife did the ultrasound but I'm fairly certain she is in a frank breech position. I haven't considered a vaginal breech birth for a number of reasons, partly financial. It's stupid, but if I see a non-preferred provider at home, a birth center, or at another hospital I'll be paying a TON of money out of pocket. To be honest, a c section with an OB at my hospital is cheaper as silly as it sounds. Plus I know a few of the OB's at my hospital and trust them to do a good job.

The other part of it is the concern over potential complications with delivering vaginally with a breech baby.

The final reason is just not feeling comfortable with switching midwives at almost 36 weeks when I implicitly trust my midwife and I trust the OB's they work closely with.

TBH, I haven't done much research about a vaginal breech birth. I will try the ECV and if it doesn't work then I can honestly say I've done everything in my power (that I feel comfortable with) to have a vaginal delivery and it just wasn't meant to be. I can always try for a VBAC next time.

I don't have any experience with a breech baby, but a c section doesn't have to be a bad thing.

With my DD I had a planned induction at 38 weeks. I had the gel the night before, my waters broke at around 11 the next morning and I was put on the drip, but never got past about 3cm dilated. So at about 8pm we made the call to have a caesarean. Once she got in and had a look, my OB thought that something about the shape of my pelvis was preventing the baby from coming down far enough to dilate me, so with this baby I'm already booked in for another c section.

I was never too bothered about exactly how I gave birth. My preference was for a vaginal delivery, but the idea of c section didn't bother me too much if it was medically necessary, so I never had much anxiety about it. But I can say with my induction last time and the planned c section this time, that having a set date for when you have your baby can be quite good. I never had to sit around waiting for labour to start or worry about it happening at a bad time. And it means DH and I can plan ahead very easily for leave from work, care for our DD while I'm in the hospital, etc.

I certainly hope things work out well for you, whatever happens, but if you end up needing the c section I hope you can see the positives. In the end all that matters is that you and your baby are both healthy.

MEPride, my LO was a Fan Breach and I had a section. When she came out her bum came first and her feet were literally at each ear. Having a natural birth is hard enough, Could you imagine having to push that out?

I love the fact I had a section and will choose a section if I get PG again. It is so organized and calm. We went out and had a special dinner the night before. There was no hours and hours in labor and I wasn't tired after the birth.

I know it's hard to change when you had your heart set on a natural birth, but honestly I would not change a thing.

There are so many good things...no tearing...no stitches down there.

Hey so I've got two csecs under my belt so far .will be booking my third one next week . My first csec came after 12hrs of labour and dilating 1cm !!! When the Dr's first came in and said I needed an emcs I was terrified and heartbroken . I did have a GA as well so I missed everything . My last baby I was going to VBAC but due to polyhydramnios and big baby I opted to have an elcs at 38wks. I went in the night before , had my dinner (our hospital food is actually pretty good!) Watched a movie and chilled out. In the morning I had a lovely shower , done my hair and make up , walked Down to theatre , I had a spinal rather than epidural. Theatre is very bright and busy , but everyone is so smiley and friendly . My anaesthetist was fabulous and had me laughing and very relaxed . As the PP said baby is out so quickly and you don't even notice the remaining time . My mum was with me and held baby as I felt a bit wibbly.
I had her at 13.10 and that evening I was up and going for a pee etc . The next morning I was showered , dressed , make up on and happily pottering about my room . Yes I was achey , and yes after pains are sore . But if you drink LOTS AND LOTS of fluids , try to mobilise to get the blood flowing ( helps your digestion too!) , keep on top of pain relief the first few days . You'll recover in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->