Competitive parents at primary school

I'm not sure that being pro-active and pushy are the same thing, pushy seems to be something negative and suggests that children are forced to excel at things, there is nothing wrong being active in your child's education and doing activities with them to foster an interest or improve a skill. LO does learning at home in small chunks during the day, especially phonics since he had speech therapy in the past and we want to continue his progress and improve his confidence, he loves science so we watch and read a lot about it.

I've not heard any competitive comments yet (3 weeks in so might still come across it!) but if I did I wouldn't worry, children are all different and can't be compared - DH had severe speech delay as a child didn't do very well in school and was made to feel stupid, I've always excelled at school and yet DH's IQ is in the top 1% and mine is much lower, children all excel in different ways and intelligence and learning style come in all shapes and sizes.

I just ignore them. There are a lot at the school my two go to. Loads of the parents do their children's homework for them.

At this stage I don't think any child should have private tuition. It's important to see how they develop at their own rate.
I think it's important for children to be themselves and not what their parents are wanting them to be.
Schooling at age 5 should be fun. If your child wants to learn then encourage then but if they don't then they shouldn't be pushed.
Neither of my children are advanced or gifted or anything above 'normal'. I certainly wouldn't be considering extra tuition at this stage.

I just ignore them. There are a lot at the school my two go to. Loads of the parents do their children's homework for them.

Lol lots and lots. This has really made me chortle. Last night Ds did his phonics home work, which he enjoys, and was halfheartedly colouring in the picture that goes along with it (a drum and drum sticks). He doesn't like colouring in, never has done, so was a little annoyed when he said he was finished and I pointed out the drum sticks still needed done. He got a brown pen and quickly scribbled on them briefly and went to put the jotter away - and I found myself picking up the brown pen to finish if the sticks!! I did stop myself but was so close...

Lol lots and lots. This has really made me chortle. Last night Ds did his phonics home work, which he enjoys, and was halfheartedly colouring in the picture that goes along with it (a drum and drum sticks). He doesn't like colouring in, never has done, so was a little annoyed when he said he was finished and I pointed out the drum sticks still needed done. He got a brown pen and quickly scribbled on them briefly and went to put the jotter away - and I found myself picking up the brown pen to finish if the sticks!! I did stop myself but was so close...

It is so tempting isn't it. I've had to stop myself making things neater. My brother taught 8-13 year olds and he knew exactly which parents completed their homework for them. That's always stuck with me and my poor sons sent in really rubbish projects that he's done himself and the rest of the classes looked amazing because the parents did them.

It is so tempting isn't it. I've had to stop myself making things neater. My brother taught 8-13 year olds and he knew exactly which parents completed their homework for them. That's always stuck with me and my poor sons sent in really rubbish projects that he's done himself and the rest of the classes looked amazing because the parents did them.

My SIL teaches, and has told me the same thing, lol. I make it a point to not directly help him with his homework by doing it for him, due to her saying that. I will explain what he needs to show, point it out on the papers, etc, but he has to actually do it himself. even if it looks like a bunch of scribbled mumbo jumbo, lol.

My 4 year old has just started reception, he doesn't know what his own name is half the time, can't hold and pencil for shit, and just wants to pretend to shoot everyone with what ever gun he mocks up.
Your little girl sounds like superstar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->