Complications from epidural/spinal block??

kissikiss

<3 Mom to Elijah <3
Reaction score
Hi everyone....as title says really. Sorry about the length.

I had my son on July 4th, after 27 hours of labour. It was a forceps delivery with an episiotomy (would have been an emergency c-section if they couldn't deliver him via forceps) so I was given spinal anaesthetic on top of the epidural that I received earlier in the evening. The birth was very traumatic for me both mentally and physically. My blood pressure was as low as 63/28 in the recovery room.

Anyways, I had to stay in the hospital with him for a few days. Came home. About a week later I woke up with heart palpitations and a dizzy feeling, along with feeling as though my heart was beating very slow. Called NHS direct and was given an out of hours emergency appointment. Saw the doc there who basically took my blood pressure (it was normal) and told me if it happened again to go to A&E as they would have the EEG machines there and they would need to catch the episode as it happened to see what my heart was doing. 2 days later it happened again, so we left my son with the neighbour and went to A&E. Got there, was hooked up to the EEG...only to find that I had a preexisting heart condition (a heart murmur) and was readmitted to the hospital. Nothing else was showing up on the EEG though that would indicate why I was feeling these dizzy spells and heart palpitations. I was given a whole bunch of tests - an echocardiogram, and a lung scan as they thought I could have a clot on my lungs, and was hooked up to a heart recording machine - everything was 'normal' apart from this heart murmur which the cardiologist didn't think would be responsible for these episodes. I was discharged from the hospital with a follow up appointment with the cardiologist set for 4 weeks time (I was also given a copy of my EEG in case I would have to go into the hospital again, it would save time)

Now again today I've had another one of these events. It scares the hell out of me. It always happens when I lay down. My husband goes back to work next week, and I'm terrified that it will happen again when I'm alone with Eli. My question is this - has anyone heard of this being a side effect from the spinal anaesthesia or epidural? I have never in my life had these episodes before giving birth. Other people think it may be due to anxiety attacks (I am prone) however the docs seem to think this isn't the case as I specifically say my heart feels as though it's slowing down, not getting faster. I just want to know what is causing me to feel this way. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently (Oh I should add I'm slightly anemic, and am on medication for that, but not very much so I don't think it's that either).

I know worrying about it won't help but I can't help how I feel. Any similar stories/advice would be appreciated. I'm scared that I can't look after my son :cry:

Thanks for reading xx

sorry i have no advice or experience with this, but didn't want to read and run. i had a spinal block and thankfully didn't suffer complications from it. talk to your dr and health visitor, keep them updated with your concerns and be really honest about it so that you can get the best help you can. i hope you're ok and healing well otherwise. take care

Thanks for the reply! I figured noone experienced anything like this, but thought I would ask anyways.

I've got a follow up with the cardiologist soon and I'll mention my concerns again, but the more I think about it the more I think it's stress/lack of sleep/anemia. I've never ever had anything like this happen to me before he was born, that's why I was wondering if it COULD possibly be the after effects of the spinal block but I'm sure it's probably not

Thanks again :hugs:

I haven't had this happen to me but I've heard of similar situations and what they have to do is flush where you had the epidural because it's still blocking and causing your complications.

I had really bad chest pains 3 days after giving birth and having epidural and had to be readmitted, they told me it was because of my milk coming in. Yet i still now 5 months on get occasional pains in my chest, and ive had lung scans and allsorts and nothing is found.l I get a lot of backache where the epidural was put in too. x

I had a spinal with my c-section and didn't experience those kind of side effetcs, just a numb bum lol coz they hit a nerve when injecting me.

It sounds like panic attacks based on your traumatic birth experience, although I'm not medically qualified so I'm just guessing, but it's clearly good that you went to A&E and got checked over for them to have found the heart murmur. I have anic attacks when going through a difficult time and my heart doesn't always feel like it's speeding up but can feel like it's about to stop beating altogether. If it is panic attacks you're having then it could be that they happen when you lay down because that's when you're body is starting to relax and as ironic as it sounds, it's when we start to relax that panic attaks kick in. Follow all the advice give to you by you Dr though and good luck with your cardio care, I hope it's nothing sinister, I'm sure it isn't. Maybe ask to speak to a councelor if you feel you are experiencing some anxiety as a result of the birth, it may help to talk it over.

Take care and wishing you all the best x

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll see what happens. I haven't had any more major episodes, only ones that have been very brief and yeah - at least I found out that I had an underlying condition and am being monitored for it. The docs don't think it's anxiety as my heart rate slowed and didn't race, so I guess it's anyone's guess as to what it is. I think it just could be exhaustion/anemia....as since I've been treating the anemia with iron pills the attacks have been less severe/less frequent

:hugs: xx

You said that you had a numb bum after your c section because they hit a nerve. My question is how long did it last? My son will be a month old tomorrow and my whole right side from lower back down to knee is still numb and i keep having pain and i just wanted to know how long it lasted for you because i am out of hope being in constant pain because nothing helps i just want the pain to stop n the feeling to come back

Hi everyone....as title says really. Sorry about the length.

I had my son on July 4th, after 27 hours of labour. It was a forceps delivery with an episiotomy (would have been an emergency c-section if they couldn't deliver him via forceps) so I was given spinal anaesthetic on top of the epidural that I received earlier in the evening. The birth was very traumatic for me both mentally and physically. My blood pressure was as low as 63/28 in the recovery room.

Anyways, I had to stay in the hospital with him for a few days. Came home. About a week later I woke up with heart palpitations and a dizzy feeling, along with feeling as though my heart was beating very slow. Called NHS direct and was given an out of hours emergency appointment. Saw the doc there who basically took my blood pressure (it was normal) and told me if it happened again to go to A&E as they would have the EEG machines there and they would need to catch the episode as it happened to see what my heart was doing. 2 days later it happened again, so we left my son with the neighbour and went to A&E. Got there, was hooked up to the EEG...only to find that I had a preexisting heart condition (a heart murmur) and was readmitted to the hospital. Nothing else was showing up on the EEG though that would indicate why I was feeling these dizzy spells and heart palpitations. I was given a whole bunch of tests - an echocardiogram, and a lung scan as they thought I could have a clot on my lungs, and was hooked up to a heart recording machine - everything was 'normal' apart from this heart murmur which the cardiologist didn't think would be responsible for these episodes. I was discharged from the hospital with a follow up appointment with the cardiologist set for 4 weeks time (I was also given a copy of my EEG in case I would have to go into the hospital again, it would save time)

Now again today I've had another one of these events. It scares the hell out of me. It always happens when I lay down. My husband goes back to work next week, and I'm terrified that it will happen again when I'm alone with Eli. My question is this - has anyone heard of this being a side effect from the spinal anaesthesia or epidural? I have never in my life had these episodes before giving birth. Other people think it may be due to anxiety attacks (I am prone) however the docs seem to think this isn't the case as I specifically say my heart feels as though it's slowing down, not getting faster. I just want to know what is causing me to feel this way. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently (Oh I should add I'm slightly anemic, and am on medication for that, but not very much so I don't think it's that either).

I know worrying about it won't help but I can't help how I feel. Any similar stories/advice would be appreciated. I'm scared that I can't look after my son :cry:

Thanks for reading xx

Hi Kissikiss - your birth sounded very traumatic. I just wanted to say don't underestimate the impact of trauma on your body, and the physical manifestations it may take. After my father died suddenly several years ago in a car crash, my mum developed a heart murmur - the hospital was very concerned, they thought she'd had a heart attack. It subsided however, and she was fine. I'm not suggesting that this is what happened to you, but just thought you might be interested to hear.

Good luck, I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Ps your LO is gorgeous. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->