Concerned 7week scan..small?

Alex2014

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum, I did post on the support after loss forum. Background; I had a miscarriage in January at about 5 weeks , it was very quick and everything returned to normal the following month period came exactly 30days after and continued until March.

I am currently almost 8 weeks pregnant again. I went to the doctor the day I found out and he put me on Progestrone suppos and low dose of baby aspirin as well as continuing folic acid intake.

Last week I returned for a scan in which the doctor was very positive; there was a heart beat and everything was visible however on reading online it seems the size was much smaller than average he said the baby was measuring 4mm and the sac was 8mm this was in the middle of the 7th week.He was not concerned nor was I until i started reading online...should I be concerned?It was an abdominal scan and I had just gone to the toilet before seeing him. He said I do not need to come back for another 4-5 weeks. Having had a previous mc I am obviously extra concerned about everything.

I have morning sickness throughout the day, sore boobs continuously and am really tired so symptoms are strong.

If doctor isn't concerned then I honestly wouldn't be. Babies grow and develop and different rates. My little lady is was behind by a over a week in the begining but caught up by 12 weeks. And now is behind again. It can change so much through pregnancy especially in the early weeks. What they are trying to measure is tiny, so margin for error can be huge. Especially as it was only an abdo scan with an empty bladder. My advice is to stay away from doctor Google. You will never get reassurence from it, only ever end up scared to death. Good luck with your pregnancy hun and congrats!

That's great that your symptoms are strong. Your doctor would have told you if he was concerned, but since you're worrying, can you give him a call to talk to him about your concerns? It would be good to do that, b/c I think it would give you peace of mind.

It's normal to be extra worried after a loss. I agree though that if the doctor is not concerned, you should not be either! I measured small my whole pregnancy with DD and she is a happy, healthy 3.5 year old now! If you are really worried you could always call your doctor and ask.

Like PP my daughter was always behind on her dates. Then to be fair she was 5lbs 13oz when she was born. It varies from pregnancy to pregnancy. On my miscarriage at 8 weeks showed up as a 5/6 week scan, therefore I suspect your doctor is correct in seeing you then. I do know how unease it is to have a miscarriage, and I know I won't relax until 24 weeks (I had a 2nd trimester loss also) so just take each day as it comes and keep busy.

I agree with everyone else. Some women have small babies, others have very big babies. As long as your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either. In personal experience my two measured in the 90th percentile for their weight at the time of gestation they were born and let me tell ya... my son, who was born nearly 3 weeks early, was a whole pound smaller than my daughter. You wouldn't think a pound would make that much difference but he was much easier to deliver, out in only 15 minutes. My DD was a difficult birth that took almost 2 hours before she was finally out. I would personally rather have a smaller baby than a big one any day!

I got put back 2 weeks because baby is small, I wouldn't worry, they have to go on averages, and no two babies will be the same.

Thanks for all the replies it has put my mind at ease. I might wait a week or two and if I am still feeling worried will go back to the doctor for a scan, his clinic is about 5minutes away from me so it is easy to drop in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->