confused about my due date! PLEASE HELP!

phobe0415

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went to my OB today. He told me I was 6w & my due date is somewhere around April 15th. He also did an internal ultrasound & all he saw was a gestational sac. No yolk. No baby. No heartbeat. Which I am okay with because that's what I was expecting... but I did not expect to hear I was 6w preggo. So here is my timeline. Tell me what you think.

Last period: 7/10-07/14
Peak ovulation: 7/23
Had sex: 07/21, 07/24, 07/29
Positive preg: 08/08 (3 days after missed period)

I am like clockwork on a 28 day cycle but was told I would not get preggo w/o fertility treatments due to endo. Personally, I don't think I've ever ovulated correctly. So I could have gotten preggo any one of those days, but none of them add up to 6w in my head.

Help me ladies because this momma is lost!

It all sounds perfect. Not sure what the confusion is...? Based on your last menstrual period on 10 July my calculator works out that your due 16 April. And that you're about 6 weeks now (date taken from your last period).

Why do they date back to my last period? I wasn't pregnant then.
(This is my first pregnacy so I'm clueless. We weren't trying to get pregnant so I've done no prior research. I basically just know what I was taught in sex ed years ago. Haha!)

No you definitely weren't! That's just how they date a pregnancy. Made it easier to figure out when a baby was due before ultrasounds were invented.
Now, it sounds like you're pretty spot on with regular periods, but some women, especially those with irregular periods will have their due date changed after an ultrasound as it can be more accurate in dating a pregnancy.
Did that make sense?

Ps congratulations! !

Yes, thank you so much. The way you explained it makes perfect sense, but I think the OB field needs to rethink this rule. Lol!
So, if I got pregnant on the 29th, I'm still 6w? My OB told me he would measure the baby at the next ultrasound & could tell me exactly. But like I said, this ultrasound showed nothing but the gest. sac & I've read many posts where women have been around 6 weeks & saw a baby & heard the heartbeat. I know we are all different but that kind of makes me believe I got preggo on the 29th.

Yes, judging by your ovulation date (were you taking your temperature to know when you actually ovulated?), it sounds like you are six weeks. You couldn't have become pregnant on the 29th if you ovulated on the 23rd, but you may have implanted late.
Your dr may indeed change your due date after another ultrasound. I wouldn't worry about not seeing bubby on the ultrasound yet. 6 weeks is kind of the cusp, some babies are seen and some aren't yet.
When are you having your next ultrasound?

I just keep a period tracker on my phone, & thats the ovulation day it gave me. Although I don't keep a body temp log of my ovulation, I do honestly think I've never ovulated at a certain time each month, just from my moods and how I have felt hormonally. Not to mention, my husband and I have been together for 12 years & have been having sex 6 out of the twelve & never gotten pregnant. Although we've never really "tried" to get pregnant, we definitely never thought we would see two pink lines without thousands of dollars in fertility treatments.
I go for another ultrasound on September 3rd.

Yes everyone in the medical field counts from last menstrual period date. Not many women kmow when they ovulate but they do know the LMP also lots of women think they know when they ovulate but could be wrong so it's just a widely known rule that you use LMP date. Now when you get ultrasounds if the due date from the ultrasound is more than just a few days out from your LMP due date then they may suspect you dont ovulate at the typical CD14 and change your due date, but they'll only do it if it's more than a few days out.

so I'm currently 12w pregnant but I wasn't for the first 2 amd . didn't know for the first 4 :)

Jump on baby centre and read pregnancy week hy week or buy What to expect when you're expecting

Shew, this is all just so much. I think I'm still in a bit of shock. I will let you ladies know what the doctor tells me on my next appointment. Thank you so much for taking the time to help put this momma at ease!

I found the easiest thing to understand is that whatever you think it is, the doctors add 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->