Confused about naps

A

AppleBlossom

Ok... last thread for a while lol

I have a cow and gate leaflet that gives you a rough guide of how long your baby should sleep for at a certain age. At Grace's age they should apparently sleep for around 15 hours out of 24. 5 of those hours being throughout the day as naps. Grace usually has 3 naps, 2 last around an hour and 1 lasts about half an hour. So she isn't getting 'enough' really. But then when she does nap, people tell me, oh you shouldn't let her her nap that long, she';; never sleep at night. She definately doesn't have 10 hours a night, more like 7. She always has red eyes in the morning because she doesn't sleep a lot. So what am I supposed to do?? If she naps in the day she gets nearer 15 hours sleep than if she doesn't but if she doesn't nap then she might sleep better at night (which I doubt) and have her completely grouchy all day. Surely babies need a few day naps?

yeh hun your totally right my baby same age as yours and they all need naps duringt the day help them grow so i never listen to leaflets like that lol xx

The more they sleep the more they sleep. Kaya sleeps better at night if she's slept well during the day. If she wakes up tired in the morning I put her back down after a couple of hours.

Ruby has a sleep in the morning for about 2 hours and then just cat naps most of the time for maybe half an hour here and there during the day. Then if her teeth arent causing her too much hassle she will sleep from 8 pm till about 7am maybe waking at half 5 for a bottle if daddy is noisey leaving for work lol. I wouldnt worry what the leaflet says as all babies are different and all have different routines xx

my LO has naps like yours usually: 30mins - 1hr
But he does get about 10 at night. 11 sometimes.
Maybe try putting her to bed earlier? What time does she go?
Teddy goes at 7 but I think I might make it earlier. It seems for him te earlier he sleeps the easier for me to get him to sleep it is.

Hannah sleeps 10-12 hours at night (not unbroken, she gets up quite a lot but we put the dummy back in etc) and takes 5-6 30-45 minute naps at night. The days she doesn't nap well she doesn't sleep well at night!

i wanted to add that i'm sure my LO nwould hardly nap at all if i didnt tell him he needed to, and I bounce him into sleep. the only nap he choses on his own each day is when we go for our daily walk. he tends to wake when we get home so i try and stay out for atleast an hour or longer if i can. (tough on a day like today when its snowy!!)

when your LO wakes after a short nap pick her up right away and do whatever helps her to sleep - i read that if we get to them quick enough they are hardly awake and more likely to go back off to sleep. ts all about light and deep sleep cycles - after 20 mins (ish) of light sleep they wake up when actually they should just turn over get comfy etc and go back to sleep.
thats what i read anyway, though it doesnt always work for us.

Ally has fallen into quite a nice nap routine lol. But he only naps for half an hr (occasionally 45 mins for his 9.30 nap) 3 times a day. Then he sleeps for 13ish hrs at night. So that's about 15 hrs. I just let him sleep when he wants to sleep. If he gets cranky I give him a helping hand by cuddling him or rocking him or just giving him his dummy. I think Ally is around the same age as Grace (wk younger or it could be a different baby...) but I really think that all babies are different and maybe what she's doing is just what she needs to do.

I usually try and keep Jasmine more awake in the evening until at least 8... Through the day she naps whenever she wants.. She usually gets up around 6-7am and is awake for a couple hours then naps on and off for the rest of the day.

She hasnt had an issue sleeping at night ever. She sleeps about 4 hours at a time now, last night she slept for 5 hours straight!!!... Although she does get up for a feed. She used to try and get up for more feeds but I prolonged it with her dummy and it didnt take long.

I don't remember really well, but I do remember that Bethanie used to wake around 7am, nap about 11am.. for about an hour or so. Then she would have another nap in the afternoon for another hour or 2. Then she would sleep through the night (from about 10-7 I think).
I think this is dependent on the baby, if she is tired im sure she will sleep. If you feel she is tired, let her have a little nap..

My sons longest nap is in the am from 10am -1pm and then the rest are about 20-30 min if they need sleep they will sleep dont worry about it hun !

Also if she gets too overtired it is harder to get them to sleep....

Jasmine has days where she sleeps nearly the entire day, and others where she wakes up a bit, and if she is at grandmas being babysat and doesnt get to sleep at all then she is cranky as hell in the evening.

You can tell she is tired but she is so over tired she fights it. She does eventually fall asleep though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->