Considering a 4th

twinklestar25

Reaction score
Interesting to come back in here & see I’m not alone in my thoughts for a 4th! I wanted to get my own thread/thoughts down & welcome any opinions/experience.

so after 2yrs agonising about a 3rd which was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make we finally gave into the relentless longing for another! He’s now 6 months & yep wish I’d of done it sooner!
As I’m now in the position of do I have a 4th for him to have a sibling close in age. There’s 6&9 yrs between the big 2 & the baby. It’s great at the moment, they’re interested in him & want to hold him/play with him but also go off & do their own thing together or apart.
The 3rd also adds another play mate, if either of them are bored they have another brother to play with & thyeve said that themselves, so that’s nice.
I’m glad for the gap for making adding another abit easier as they understand & whilst I don’t often ask them to help (bit of a complex from my childhood being the eldest child) they want to do some things & will grab sumit or wait abit till I can do what they want etc
But I’m sure when they reach their teens they prob won’t be as interested & youngest may start to feel the effects of the gap more.
I know there would probably be pros & cons to that too.
Our eldest has the type of personality where he likes to be playing with someone more than by himself where as our middle will happily play alone or with someone.
Our youngest although early, appears to be similar in personality to our eldest, which means he likes a lot of attention/entertaining. So I wonder if he would benefit from a sibling closer in age.

it wound probably be easier on us to stick with the 3, I know when I take 1 child to do something how much easier it is (for the most part) no arguing/disagreements/wanting to do diff things, going in diff directions when young etc (thinking when the big 2 are at the stage of going out with mates & it’s just the youngest on days out etc unless I’m surprised & the big uns still want to join in, which would be lovely, they prob would now & then depending what we’re doing)

But having said all that about 1 being easier, it’s also lovely when I see my big 2 playing together, working something out together, talking about school, having someone to play with on holiday/days out/at home etc not being as much pressure to arrange play dates, although eldest is starting to go to friends houses of his own arranging now!

other points for a 4th-
Makes an even number
I feel I’m missing out abit on the baby dats/mat leave at the moment with all this Coronavirus & lockdown! So might be nice to get to have that time once more.
Bigger family hopefully more support & strong relationships
We have 3 boys so tiny possibility for a girl but can’t see it really!
Being totally honest I’d be a little nervous about 4 boys! But I was about 3 boys & it’s fine, I was still happy to have either. It’s everyone else’s opinions that’s the problem. And my 2 big Boys have similar interests so in a lot of ways it’s better, although it’s always a nice thought although a little scary! to experience having a daughter.
I have everything from my current baby so wouldn’t need much.
kinda feels like, well we’re bringing 1 baby Up, might aswell add another at the same time with a 2.5-3yr gap (prob 2yr 9 month-2.10 yr gap if fell right away)

we would need to extend or move

Need 7 seater car (might need in future with growing kids anyway, not sure if would manage with a 5 seater when there big teens)
Obvs more childcare costs & general expense

Holidays- more expensive now anyway, already need 2 rooms apart from the odd hotel that sleep 5 to a room, when middle is 12/13 won’t be an option anymore anyway. So might*? Not make that much difference. & May even benefit from 2 free child places wen big 2 are over 12 & we’re taking 2 rooms.

I had to have a section last time due to low placenta- they say it might not happen
again but everything I read say the Risk is increased.

I didn’t really want to be having babies past 30ish but I was so indecisive for the 3rd it ended up a bigger gap & couple yrs older than would of liked. I’m 34 just turned. I just kept thinking I’d rarther another with a gap that not have one at all. & what’s the difference of 1-2yrs older & being done at 36 (if have 4th) instead of 32-35 (depending if stuck at 3 being a smaller gap between 2nd-3rd or still went for a 4th 2-3yrs later)

so those are my thoughts, will see what next yr brings!

Hi hon
Totally relating with you on this. My son is almost 7 months old and he was supposed to be our last baby. But our 2 other children are alot older 7 and 9.
They absolutely adore him and they do play with him but easily get bored and then want to do there own thing.

Hes a lovely little boy and so full of smiles but he loves the attention and being entertained and I really think he wud benafit from having another sibling closer in age.

I turned the big 40 in december and I know time is not on my side' and I know I really want to experience pregnancy again. I love being pregnant and having a bump and I've missed my bump so much.

Me and hubby discussed having another and we decided we wud ttc again.
We was going to hold out untill early next year but I'm afraid because I'll be 41 this coming December that I'll be to old.
I came off the mini pill in February and im temping and doing ovulation tests to make sure I'm still ovulating. Which I am .
We are not trying but were not preventing.
Really wanting to start trying asap and I dont know if I want to risk holding out until next year.
I know plenty of womon have babies in there 40s but I also know it can be hard to conceive and the Misscarige rate sky rockets. Ive had 3 losses in the past so that really worries me.

I really thought I was pregnant this cycle but I got a BFN this morning at 13DPO so I know I'm out. Just waiting for AF now.
I felt so disappointed to see the BFNs.
I now do not know what to do. I'm not sure if we shud just hold of a little while and start trying in January like first planned or just go ahead and start trying next cycle?

I'd say go for it hon. When are u thinking of trying?

Last edited:
Hi, that’s really positive you know your ovulating. I remember what a journey it all is & how soul destroying it can be getting bfn’s. Fingers crossed it happens for you soon. I really thought I was going to be done after 3 but it was hubby saying about a 4th, mostly in jest I think. But he should know better than to joke around about these things as all’s it does is put the idea in my head again & I don’t need much encouraging!
If we were to go for it we would start around Oct 2021- just as baby turns 2 & after our (hopeful) summer holiday seen as this years is cancelled! Youngest would get free 3yr Nursery funding when baby would be 5/6 months so get the rest of mat leave to go to groups etc unless we can afford to keep him in a couple days a week a little sooner (he’d turn 3 in Oct but not get funding till jan so cud try to pay for a few hrs say Oct-dec) I don’t know yet, it’s all just scrambled ideas for now.
For a bfp for you soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->