Considering a Home Birth

CharlieP

Mum to Charlie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm considering having a home birth after having a very straight forward (episiotomy excluded) 8 hour labour first time around.

I'd be really interested to find out any advice people have - and anything that I should know that could help me make my mind up.

2 things that concern me are the mess and the worry of not being close to drugs and doctors if we need it!

Hi hun :)

Im new to this too, had a very similar labour first time round too. 6hours in hospital pretty much!!

I've read a lot of ladies say that there is very little mess involved & midwives are very good at cleaning it up afterwards!!

Good luck hun :) xx

It is my phase "du homebirth section" but a home birth is just like a birth centre birth - which is meant to be a home from home, with your professional MWs and access to drugs (with the exception of an epi or c-section, to generalise), but a home birth is your home, and comes complete with your professional MWs and there access to all the drugs in a birth centre, all the equipment for you and baby they bring with them - everything!
Also you (in my opinion) receive a better level of care. You are usually attended my 1 MW who is there just for you - no one else.. they don't have 2 or 3 women to look after, and they won't leave you unless you are in early labour and happy.. then in established labour and towards the end to have ideally 2 midwifes present at the birth - so one can care for you and one for the baby, if you need it.
Aside from all that, it is an amazing experience, talking personally! And so little to tidy up.. you wouldn't believe it.
Do lots of research is my advice, talk to your MWs, read books, ask loads of questions and attend a homebirth group in your area- if there is one, so you can talk face to face with other homebirthers and supporters.
XxXx

Thanks both - I have contacted our local NCT home birth support group to ask if I can go along to the next session and ask a few questions

hi.

i had a homebirth 12 days ago and it was the most amazing experience ever.

re the mess, i had a shower curtain on the floor with 2 large, dark towels on top. after i'd given birth the midwives packed the towels and shower curtain up aand put it in their bag of things to incinerate (they asked us if we wanted to keep them but we didn't). i got cleaned up and dressed and within half an hour of delivery our living room was completely back to normal :thumbup:

re being near doctors etc, we live 5-10 mins away from the main hospital and would get there quicker in an ambulance. also, having the 1:1 uninterrupted midwife care means they would spot something before it got serious which would give you time to get to the hospital. they (mw) bring entonox and pethidine with them as well as resusc equipment for baby.

hth

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->