Consistent green poop!

Becki.S

Reaction score
This is frustrating me now! I hope someone can help?!

My DS is 7.5 weeks old exclusively breastfed. He used to have seedy yellow poops, with the odd green ones. I have over-active let down, so to fix that problem I started only offering the same breast throughout an awake period 1-2 hours, unless he'd been really hungry and emptied me completely (he tends to nurse when he wakes and then to sleep) or he clearly wanted the other side. This has been working well, I still have over active let down sometimes but it's better.
Anyway, his poos have been gradually getting worse over the last few weeks, the yellow ones mainly stopped and they were either orange or green, and the green have become more and more frequent, until the last few days they've all been green. I know he's getting his hind milk so that's not the issue (he was born 7 lbs 8, he's now 12 lbs 2!). The GP put me on a dairy free diet at his check on Tuesday as he thinks he has a cows milk protein allergy due to his congestion and sickiness. I asked about the poos then and the GP said he's not concerned about colour as long as he's pooping and peeing regularly. I'm not happy with that answer to be honest. I know allergies can be a cause of green poop but it seems to have gotten worse! Could this just be a coincidence?
Just incase it's linked he did have his BCG 2 days ago (the last orange poop was that morning beforehand) he's been clingy and fussy since.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Becki x

If he is generally content I wouldn't worry. My daughter suffered when I had an oversupply - there was no settling her. She grizzled and cried constantly. But the doctors said the green poop on its own was no concern. She also gained weight very fast when I have the oversupply because she wasn't staying full and was feeding so often. So in calorific terms, she was getting more than enough

Firstly orange poo is just another variation on yellow, nothing wrong with it at all. I have oversupply and greenish poo is a big part and parcel of it, if it's not causing any other untoward symptoms it doesn't matter. If you're cutting out dairy it can take 2-3 weeks to see any real improvement, but if after this time you don't see an improvement it's probably not a dairy problem. Some babies do just have green poo and there is no underlying cause. Central heating can cause stuffy nose in babies too xx

I have heard green poop is lack of hind milk too, but mine would get runny green ones occasionally that would cause a rashy bottom and I considered it diarrhoea. I would get a second opinion.

Thanks everyone, I wasn't worried about the orange, it's because it's all green now, it's not frothy either I would say mucusy. He is fine in himself otherwise, happy in general. He's very windy, again unsure if that's the over-supply/let down or the potential dairy allergy. I do make sure he gets hind milk, always make sure he empties my boobs so I really don't think that's the problem anymore.
The joys of motherhood anxious about everything!

Becki x

My LO has mostly green non-frothy poops all the time. I used to have oversupply, but it's under control now. He has had diarrhea before, but just green is pretty normal for him. As long as he has no other issues I don't worry.

I can imagine how frustrated you must be feeling! I had this problem with DD and it drove me mad as it would come and go and I knew it wasn't a hind milk issue. It is only now that I know she has an egg allergy that it suddenly seems to makes sense, as after she was born I did have an awful lot of runny eggs after abstaining whilst pregnant. Her green poop calmed down after I laid off the eggs :dohh:

I would write a food diary to see if you can identify if there are any foods that you are eating that coincide with green poop incidents. Hopefully that might help.

Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->