Constipation relief?

Rcx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the tmi but I am suffering from constipation every day and it gets more and more painful as time goes on! Is there anything I can take? I used to take fig oil when I suffered from constipation before pregnancy but wondering if this is safe or what my others options are? The cramps are getting so painful, they are definitely in my stomach and not my womb but they are really getting me down

I swear by prune juice, always seems to get things moving :)

I ate some soaked prunes yesterday, worked great! I went 3x yesterday

My doctor said I could take stool softeners. She recommended colace or docusate as being safe to take in pregnancy. She said I could take up to 4 per day if needed safely.

I got a prescription of lactulose from the doc today.. not tried it yet!

I feel your pain. I was terribly constipated last pregnancy and this time it's started even earlier, hemmorhoids and all! I ate/eat huge amounts of fibre, so food didn't do it for me. My dr. suggested Colace (a stool softener), which helped, though I ended up having to take the suppository route on occasion. Try to drink as much water as possible, stay away from things that constipate (bananas, cheese), and make sure you stay ahead of this if at all possible. You don't wanna know what's involved if the stool gets too hard to pass!!! I'm sure you'll be fine though. High-fibre foods and stool softeners do the trick for most.

I've heard that drinking WARM water can help with constipation, also. I can't verify this from personal experience, but it would be safe, and worth a shot.

Stop eating carbs for a while, bread, rice, potato & pasta are generally used to stop diarrhea, they do the opposite as well, they'll bung you right up when progesterone slows your digestion down. You can continue treating symptoms with water, enemas, prune juice but it helps when you understand what's causing it. Veg, fruits and protein are what your baby needs to grow, they also happen to be natural diuretics. Processed carbolicious (generally bread/wheat/pasta) foods aren't great for either you or baby. Hope you feel better soon!!:hugs:

I swear by MiraLax. It is a salt solution that you dissolve in any drink. It doesn't have any flavor to it. I use it and I have used it on my daughter since she was about 6 months old. Pediatrician approved :) feel better.

For me a kiwi a day helped AND I had to cut out all cheese except cottage cheese. My friend and her husband who are both doctors came to stay with me when pg and I was complaining about my constipation and they said they noticed I am eating cheese every day. They recommend eating cheese to people who have diarrhea. So look at what you are eating and try to eliminate anything that might clog you up!

Lactulose is considered safe to take during pregnancy and is what a lot of doctors recommend.

Thanks for all your tips everyone basically although I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg, I am eating tons of carbs especially mashed potatoes they seem to be my comfort at the moment. Gonna cut these out for a few days to see if that helps. I am worried about hemorrhoids as had then before and they are so painful! I used to get lactalose from the doc so will ask for that at my app on wed. Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->