Consultant said no to homebirth *updated 21/10/11*

She told me that the midwife that attends would not be able to deal with it if it happened. I read that after I spoke to her and I am not being told baby is large at all. The problem is she has now scared me quite a bit. I am hoping that the midwife that comes out to the birth will put my mind at rest.
I can't choose who I see, when I attend the community midwife I get whomever is on that day unfortunately.

I'm quite shocked she said that! I *just* responded before reading this. She is wrong, wrong, wrong!
https://shoulderdystociainfo.com/

Please try and get a 2nd opinion form a consultant!

my experience with the consultant is that they will just air on the side of caution and say it is possible and again repeat they recommend I have a hospital birth given my height.

I find that ridiculous too. My MW and i were only just the other day discussing techniques for manoeuvring baby if shoulder dystocia should occur during my HB. She didn't seem phased at all. x

Diz I am hoping that on the day I get a supportive midwife and that she puts my mind at rest. It is only this one midwife who is being negative.

It really does sound like you need to contact this particular midwifes superior...
Sounds like she is reflecting her own incompetencies and lack of skill/knowledge/confidence on to you and your birth choice... This is not fair nor does it concur with the NICE guidelines.
If you want a calm homebirth then I would urge you to seek a second opinion as the other ladies have suggested.
What's the point of fighting for your homebirth if you are going to end up being too scared/worried at home which will provoke the fight or flight response and slow your delivery right down....
I personally couldn't "take a chance" on who the attending midwife will be... Her attitude needs adjusting before she considers stepping foot in your home to assist you with your birth...
X :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->