Contraception after having a baby

Babyfairy1984

Reaction score
What is everyone using/going to use? I'm planning on only having 2 children so I'm looking at longer lasting methods than the pill, possibly the arm implant or the copper coil, has anyone had any experience with these? I like the pill as if you do get side effects at least u can come off it straight away but I suffer from migraines so can only take the mini pill now.

I had copper coil....had no probs until about 2 yrs in and then I bled virtually non stop for around 6 months, id bleed a week stop for a Cpl days then startbleeding again :/.....i had it taken out.....i don't know if the bleedin was related but it tapered off about a month after having coil removed

When we are done for sure my dH is going to get a vasectomy. I really don't like being on the pill and I'm afraid to try things like the coil. We don't want to rush into any permanent decisions so we're using condoms for the time being. We are probably done though. We'll make our final decision by the time LO turns one.

I got the implant as it seemed the best option for me. Wasn't too painful to get it inserted but my arm was a right mess for days afterwards. I only get random bleeding which is much lighter than my normal period but lasts longer, but it's a bit of a pain not knowing when it's going to happen.

I have the implant and love it :) I got it put in 6 weeks after having my ds.

I honestly don't know! I am 99% certain that we are done. But you never know!
Hubby doesn't want a vacestomy so I think we'll be using condoms for the foreseeable. I don't want to go back on the pill. It made me pill on weight and just generally feel a bit blergh.

Copper coil, it's great, no hormones at all so your cycles etc are completely natural. I had it for 2 years, got it removed fell pregnant within days and then had one fitted again soon after DS2. Don't have to think about it, highly recommend.

I went with the hormonal coil cos everyone insisted I would have really heavy bleeding with the copper one =P was a pain for about a month then has been great since.

I'm back on the pill. I always loved the pill but I just HATE periods. I get the worst period pains but the pill does ease it for me. I was going to have the implant in my arm, went to doctors, said yes and got the prescription (which you then need to take back and they insert it for you) but I didn't bother getting the prescription in the end. I just heard so many horror stories that I wasn't willing to risk it. My friend said she had it and for the first 4 months, she absolutely loved it. She said she was on her period when she had it inserted, her period stopped that day and she didn't have one for 4 months. Then after that, she started bleeding and bled constantly for 5 months! Apparently as it's quite expensive and can last for up to 3 years, doctors don't like to remove it unless absolutely necessary. Then I read about lots of people suffering from really bad mood swings and depression. My doctor said that about 30% of people (don't quote me on that, it was months and months ago) experience lots of bleeding.

The coil is supposed to be really good though. I used to have the injection that you have every 12 weeks but I literally spotted for the whole time. A nurse told me that I probably should have given it longer but I gave it 6 months and the constant spotting drove me nuts! So the pill it is for me! x

Between the boys, we stayed with condoms, knowing we'd try for one more after DS1. DH just had his vasectomy last week, so now we're two and done.

I had copper coil....had no probs until about 2 yrs in and then I bled virtually non stop for around 6 months, id bleed a week stop for a Cpl days then startbleeding again :/.....i had it taken out.....i don't know if the bleedin was related but it tapered off about a month after having coil removed

I am going to get a copper coil. I heard that the longer u have it in the worse ur periods get, I figure we will be trying in about 3 years again so shouldn't be too bad xx

I'm on the Nexplanon implant. I spotted for a few weeks at first, but it's great now!

Had the pill after no1 but got the copper coil after no 2.

It didnt hurt getting it fitted but by god the first few AFs were horrific - cramps to the extreme. This month is the 4th so hoping it should settle down.

I wanted some thing long term with no hormones and no thought needed on my behalf so seemed the best option.

Im the odd one out it looks like, i get the Depo shot every 3 months, it has made my period so much lighter (think going from multiple overnights for 4 days straight to regular for 4 days straight and not even needing that much protection!), and i even skipped one in July :happydance: We are done though, with our one, since it was such a rough journey and ill be 34 this year and i just dont think i can go through all the heartache and craziness again :wacko:...the only thing i will say as a downside, its not recommended for long term BC, as it apparently can leech calcium from your bones and they make you get a Dexa scan if you start having trouble/keep using it, and if we did decide that we wanted to have another, it would probably be about a year before my normal fertility returned too...oh, and instead of a week of PMS, i get maybe a day or two warning that its on its way, so if i dont have any female products in the house, i have to scramble for the store :haha:

In between babies we will be using the dreaded condoms because I am uncomfortable using hormones while breastfeeding. Afterwards I have no idea what we will do because of the slightly increased risk of prostate cancer with vasectomies. I will probably go on the pill for a few years before we decide.

We used condoms and they failed us, Ds2 is 8 months old and now I'm 6 weeks pregnant again, we have used them for so long and now I will never trust them again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->