Contraception

little_lady

Mum of two
Reaction score
Hope I'm allowed to post this in here.

Had my 6 week check yesterday and was asked about contraception. I don't really know what to do. Before Joel was born we used condoms but hubby hates them and Joel was conceived because he couldn't be bothered to go and get one lol.

I'm breastfeeding but hear lots of stories about the mini pill and injection so not sure if the hormonal route is good after you've had a baby?

Don't want the coil as I know someone who died from associated blood poisoning.

I know this doesn't leave me with much options lol, just wondering what everyone else does and if the mini pill would be ok or if it does lead to depression etc?

I went on the pill for 2 months but was showing signs of depression so have stopped to see if that helps!!!

Not trying to scare you or anything. Just give advice.

Have you though of the implant? I know a few friends that have one. Depends if you are thinking of having anymore soon??

Xxx

I had no issues with the mini-pill. The drawback for me was that you have to take it at the exact same time daily for it to be effective, which is really hard with a child (or children). I know several women who had "oops" pregnancies on the mini-pill.

I've had a huge issue trying to find a good birth control method for me. I've tried the mirena (caused pain and constant bleeding), tried the depo shot (caused constant bleeding), and tried the mini pill (caused a drop in milk supply). At this point, I'm not on any BC, so OH and I will be using condoms/the family planning method.

I was wondering this too. I don't want to go on the pill as its too hormonal was thinking about the coil myself!

I got the depo shot but I wouldn't advice unless your 100% certain you don't want anymore for a while but even that I still wouldn't recommend it.

I wish I had gone on the pill and I'm still breastfeeding x

We use condoms. At my 6 week check up, the Dr asked me what I was thinking about BC. When I told her condoms, she said she 100% agreed with me because I feed breast milk and with BC, the hormones can get into the milk. :shrug:

the mini pill is safe for BF but it's not as effective as regular pills.

I went back on my regular pill when I stopped BF. I don't want an "accident" now!

Really, so what are the effects of the hormones going into the milk? I had heard this too but apparently it safe?

Think I might go for the mini pill but would be interested to hear about this .

why does everyon'es doctor say the mini pill is safe then? i;m confused

I have a few friends who are GPs and they have gone on the mini pill (as they're BF) and feel really confident and comfortable with it. Apparently, the only hormone that could go in breastmilk and cause issues is estrogen, which is why you can only go on progesterone only pills (hence the mini pill). If you don't want to use hormonal BC at all, your only options really are condoms, the copper coil or natural family planning methods (so charting to avoid ovulation days). Me personally, I'm going back on Yasmin, which is what I've always used. It's estrogen/progesterone but I've stopped breastfeeding now. No one pill will cause problems for everyone so it's worth giving the mini pill a try if that's what you're concerned with. I had a horrible time on Microgynon (actually twice), which is why I can't take that one, but Yasmin works well for me, whereas it might cause problems for someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->