Cool boiled water? Do you give it to your LO?

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
Hiya...do any of you ladies give your LO water to drink?? I have read that it can be good for sicky babies? My LO is 2months old and has reflux. If you do when do you give it and how often??x

mine just doesnt seem to like it ive tryed a few times and he just wont have any of it :baby: xxx

my health visitor said if tommy was at all constipated to give him cooled boiled water, if it was hot offer him water in between feeds and offer as often i want so he didnt dehydrate..

he does drink it, wasnt sure at first as he looked at me totally confused as in to say.."mom whats the crack here, this isnt my milk"!!

h x

It's actually dangerous to give small babies (under 6 months) plain water without a medical indication - it can cause water intoxication, which can be fatal.

Sometimes it is recommended in small amounts, such as 1 oz per day to help with constipation (if needed), but babies should be getting their fluids from milk - formula or booby juice, they do NOT NEED extra water.

Star

Havent tried it yet but my pediatrician said it is safe to introduce it at 4 months.

Yes I give it to him and had been since he's about 3 weeks old. He really enjoys it especially on hot humid days.

Yeah Kyle likes a drink of water now and then. He also likes the HiPP baby mineral water with dash of blackcurrent. x

Oscar used to have it in small amounts when it was hot. Can't get him to drink it now though, he just laughs and chews the bottle :lol:

All mine were sickly babies and the midwife told me to give them some after thier bottles, not alot, just enough for them to rinse thier mouth and throat. They dident much like it though.

Hi, you should always give your babies cooled boiled water to drink or they may get dehydrated. If they are breastfed it isn't as importnat as breastmilk contains natural thirst quencher however if your baby has formula you should always offer water too. It is quite good to give after the formula as it can help get wind up in young babies too.

I never give Hannah water, and honestly won't unless my pediatrician suggests it

Yes i do when its hot and if she has just fed she just seems thristy and a couple of sips of cooled boiled water is just what she needs :) Although some babies dont like it , i remember my oldest never did!

My youngest doesn't like milk! When he went onto cows milk he just doesn't like it, he has to have a half spoon of options hot chocolate in it.

As for the water thing, it was the advice of my health visitor that if a baby is not on breastmilk they need water as they are only having food otherwise. However im in the uk and maybe we get told to do different things in different countries

I give Joseph water on hot days or when he's constipated...doesn't seem to like it much though

I was told they would get their hydration from formula or booby milk so I didn't give it at first. Then my auntie's niece was recently rushed into hospital as she was extremely dehydrated and the first thing the doctors did was give her water with salt in. Her parents did everything 'by the book' so to speak and had never given her water. So now I give it to Grace if she's just niggling for something to suck on and she won't take her dummy but she's not hungry. It also helped cool her down when it was hot. I don't think they should be having gallons, just the odd ounce or two every so often. It's not going to hurt them anway so I don't think there's any harm in it

from the dr.Sears website

"Does my breastfeeding baby need bottles of water?"
Breastfeeding babies do not need extra water, though formula-fed babies often do. Your breastmilk contains enough water for your baby, even in hot, dry climates. Formula contains higher concentrations of salts and minerals than breastmilk does, so that extra water is often necessary for the kidneys to excrete the extra salt. Also, because of less efficient metabolism, formula-fed infants lose more water. In breastfed babies, not only is extra water unnecessary, giving bottles of water to quench baby's thirst may also lessen the desire to breastfeed. This will interfere with the balance between mother's milk supply and baby's demand. Bottles of water are also likely to cause nipple confusion. A baby who is too warm or thirsty, but not hungry, can satisfy his need for more water by feeding more frequently and just enough to get the watery foremilk, but not necessarily the creamier hindmilk. Breastfeeding babies are great self-thirst-quenchers.

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023000.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->