Cost of private IVF/genetic testing?

Caezzybe

Mummy to Logan & Jasmine
Reaction score
I'm just looking into this for interest as I don't really think I could afford it, nor would I really want to do it. How much does one cycle of IVF cost privately? I've found price lists, but they are itemised and confusing as to what exactly the total charge would be. I'm not eligible for NHS IVF for several reasons. My Dad has been trying to get me and hubby to go via IVF and genetic testing of embryo(s) for Down's Syndrome before implantation, even though we are capable of conceiving naturally (our little boy aged 7 weeks has Down's and I'm 41 so at fairly high risk of it happening again).

I know that the cost of testing each embryo would be additional to IVF, but if I know the cost of IVF I could add on the embryology charges and let my Dad know how much it would be (to basically shut him up). Hubby and I aren't keen on IVF and would rather take our chances conceiving naturally for baby number 2. We're also waiting for our son's detailed genetic tests to come back to see whether it's translocational Down's and therefore possibly hereditary (I do have a family history, my uncle had Down's).

Also, is anybody else in a similar situation and who did go ahead with the IVF/embryo pre-implantation testing route? I'd like to know what your experiences were.

Hi Caezzbe,

firstly, your little boy is gorgeous! Love the name too - what a sweetie!

I totally understand you not wanting to have IVF - it's hugely invasive and very stressful plus it could be argued that its technically going against nature although there is currently nothing to suggest that babies born as a result of IVF will go on to develop any 'problems'.

I've had 'general' tests done for my IVF but the lists for egg share are a lot bigger - the cost of various blood tests at The Lister in Chelsea rang from £50-£500. When you get the results of Logan's tests it might be worth speaking to your GP - they may be willing to run these tests on the NHS or at least guide you as to what can be done privately? I know a girl on a different thread was talking about having her embryos examined for genetic abnormalities but this was post IVF?

Good luck xx

Hi there
All the best deciding what is the best option for you. Costs vary across the country.
Typically IVF is £3000-4000, ICSI is £4000-5000. The drugs are separate and can be £500-1500. Pre-implantation genetic testing is around £2000, eg Glasgow Centre for Reproductive Medicine is around £2370 I think and thats to test 8 embryos. The costs are itemised and usually what you will need to pay for are:
Blood tests - hormone profile & AMH (to help them decide what treatment protocol & dose of drugs might be best for you)
Blood tests - screening for HIV, Hepatitis etc (both of you)
Semen analysis - for him (to see if you might need ICSI)
Initial consultation
IVF/ICSI
Drugs

Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh