Could I still be pregnant after miscarriage?

shadow11

Reaction score
On NOV 2, I found out at the ER I was pregnant with my first baby! My husband and I experienced a whole new level of joy than ever before! We were so happy! Especially since we have trying for five years. My HCG levels were 1468. Since I was bleeding and had some abdominal pain, the ER Doctor wanted to make sure my Gyno back home gave me a close follow up. 3 days later, after I went into my Gyno, I was told that I have miscarried. My HCG dropped to 485. It was so upsetting.

Next week, on November 12, I went in for my 3rd blood draw. My HCG spiked up to 765. What would cause my HCG to spike like that? Could I actually be pregnant still? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Have they checked for an ectopic pregnancy? I've heard that can cause hcg to go down and then back up, especially with the slow rise b/t the 485 and 765. Other than that, I"m not sure. What did the dr say?

I was asked to do more blood work the next day (I'll get those results back tomorrow), so the Doctor can check my HCG levels again. They also scheduled me for an ultrasound 11/20. Hopefully I will be provided answers soon.

When I first found out I was pregnant at the ER, they did give me ultrasounds and didn't find anything. It's been two now, so maybe they will see something on Wednesday.

It's really hard to say at this stage - I've seen people who've had this and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy, and others like myself who've miscarried :hugs:

In 2012, I experienced something similar where shortly after getting a BFP I had a heavy bleed. The EPU checked my HCG Levels and confirmed they were going down, so I was told I'd miscarried. I was testing out the faint lines on my ICs when they suddenly started getting dark again so I went back to EPU and my HCG levels had gone from being about 20 something to 199. They carried on going up for a couple of weeks (but very slowly) and then they started to drop again and I had a miscarriage. However, my levels weren't as high as yours (They didn't go above 500) and they didn't climb very quickly at all.

At the same time, another girl on the forum experienced the same thing and she went on to have a healthy pregnancy - she was told that the most likely cause for the dip in levels was that she'd lost a twin early on.

Fingers crossed for you :hugs:

I received my HCG levels back from my 4th blood draw, and my HCG increased again to 825. Ultrasound will be tomorrow.

Thank you kit603 for giving me a story of hope. I really hope this turns out to be another surprise!

It's looking good that your HCG is still going up again :) Are they concerned about the doubling times or are they on track now?

You probably won't see much on an ultrasound at this stage with that HCG Level, but hopefully they'll at least be able to confirm if pregnancy is in right place etc :hugs:

I haven't heard much feedback yet; they do seem pretty concerned though. I have an appointment tomorrow at 11am. BUT I started cramping and bleeding again. My cramps are escalating to a lot of pain where if it gets worse I think I may just go to ER to play it safe. My bleeding and cramping stopped ten days ago from "miscarriage", so I don't know if this is a continuous part of that or what.

Sorry you're going through this :hugs: I had something very similar just happen and it turned out that my pregnancy was ectopic. I hope you get some answers at the ultrasound tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->