Could the doctor's test be wrong?

tif

Reaction score
Last period was March 7, pretty regular 28 day cycle, when I was 2 days late on April 5 I took a home test FREP and got a positive. I waited a week and took another test, storebrand , also positive. This was at approx 4-5 weeks. I had a doctor's appointment at approx 5.5 weeks (April 15). While I was waiting on the results from the doctor's test I went out and picked up a Clear blue digital and it came back pregnant and 5+ weeks along, this was at approx 6 weeks. Well the doctor's office just called, and their test was negative, anyone else have something like this happen. I'm about 7.5 weeks now, made another doctor's appointment to redo the test, and I'm likely going to go out a buy a few more home tests to take to help ease my mind.

Hi with my last pregnancy the test my doctors did came back bfn & the sample they sent off to be tested came back bfn even though I'd had 3bfps on home tests so I demanded the did a blood test which came back bfp did they do a blood test or just urine? X

They did the urine test. I have an appointment in a couple days, at my insistence, to retest, I'm going to request they do both a urine and blood this time. I've never missed a period since I started getting them, and I have all the symptoms of pregnancy.

The cut off the HCG level might be different to the over the counter ones. I would get them to retest! Good luck!

The urine tests at the Dr's office are not as sensitive as the ones you can buy at the store now. By the next time you go in, I'm sure their tests will pick it up.

This happened to me with my current pregnancy. I showed a pic of my positive test to the doctor so she sent me for a blood test which came back positive. It could have been a faulty test, improperly stored or even expired. Ask for a blood test to confirm 100%.

Take a test with you next time you go and ask for that to be done too, maybe a clear blue digital, also I'd ask for bloods. Good luck x

My GP didn't even do a test, just accepted my home test result and told me to register with the midwife service.

My GP didn't even do a test, just accepted my home test result and told me to register with the midwife service.

That's what my doctor did too. I think it's a UK thing to be honest. By the time your booked in and then have your first scan at 12 weeks they can really see what's going on then.

Like a PP said, their tests aren't as sensitive as the ones you can buy over the counter. When they did my urine sample test, it was so light and my FRERs were much darker than that. Good luck with your next appointment! :)

Thanks ladies for all the replies, you're definitely helping to ease my mind. I just have to hang in there til thursday.

My former doctor told me numerous times that hpts "aren't sensitive enough to show pregnancy BEFORE 5 weeks". This, even though I told her it says on the FRER box that you can use them 'up to 4 days before your missed period'. Bah. I'm guessing your doctor just didn't have a sensitive enough test and that's why they said negative. The blood test is far more accurate. I get a quantitative hCG test done as soon as I call in with a bfp at home because I have a history of miscarriage and need to be on meds as soon as possible but the dr won't prescribe them until my pregnancy is confirmed. I'd recommend you have them do the blood test and that should show your pregnancy just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->