Could you do it?

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
I am starting university in September to do my English Language and Literature degree. I am hoping to use it to either go in to teaching or into book editing/publishing. I know both will be hard careers to and I'm trying to maximise my chances as best I can, like I will be trying to get some work experience in local schools in the English departments. I've been researching book publishers a lot over the past couple of weeks and how to get into it etc. What I've found is that a few of the major publishers like Bloomsbury offer work experience programmes in their offices. I think this would be an amazing opportunity and though it would be next summer before I could actually do it (though I'd have to apply soon as their places go fast) it would mean going to London for 2-3 weeks by myself (I can stay with a friend who lives in London) leaving the kids and my then husband at home, and I'm kind of conflicted over how I would feel about doing that. Could you do it?

Yes. My husband is a capeable human being, he knows how to look after DS and the house, I wouldn't swan off for 2-3 weeks on holiday by myself but when it is as something as important as this you are putting your family first by developing your career which will benefit them all in the long term. Plenty of men go away for weeks at a time for work it infuriates me that people (mostly other women) will make you feel unmaternal and unnatural for making these tough choices when your children are at the heart of them.

I am away for a week in September to do a study school for my masters I do distance learning, it'll be hard, I'll miss them, but it needs to be done, for me, and for the family.

FYI you're being very smart, the only reason I managed to get straight int my field from uni was by doing a lot of work experience during my degree (easier for me as I did it pre kids) too many people leave uni thinking a degree guarantees them a job, but especially with the humanities it is really important you gain as much experience as you can during the degree, it's more likely you'll get relevant paid work on graduating.

So good for you, don't feel guilty and don't let anyone else influence your decision.

Personally I couldn't. I'm way too clingy towards my son to do that :) but I don't think there's anything wrong with it!

I couldnt leave my kids for that long BUT it would make sense to go. Tough decision.

Yes I could 100% do that - what an amazing opportunity that will help you so much in your career! Not quite the same but I study through the Open University and went on a week-long residential course last month, so FOB had her for the entire week and she had a great time, I didn't feel any guilt as I knew what I was doing was very important. Good luck hun!

Thanks guys. I know I will miss them so much and will feel so lost without them but I know it's a great opportunity and I'd be silly not to go for it if I get a spot doing it. It will be hard leaving them but I will be doing it for them and to create a better life for them.

I could yes, I have no issues with leaving my kids in the care of their dad whatsoever. It doesn't mean I wouldn't miss them, but I would be completely happy that they were fine and happy in their home environment, that I was doing something to benefit the whole family, and they wouldn't be pining for me either - mine generally don't care who is here as long as its one of us

Yes. My husband is a capeable human being, he knows how to look after DS and the house, I wouldn't swan off for 2-3 weeks on holiday by myself but when it is as something as important as this you are putting your family first by developing your career which will benefit them all in the long term. Plenty of men go away for weeks at a time for work it infuriates me that people (mostly other women) will make you feel unmaternal and unnatural for making these tough choices when your children are at the heart of them.

I am away for a week in September to do a study school for my masters I do distance learning, it'll be hard, I'll miss them, but it needs to be done, for me, and for the family.

FYI you're being very smart, the only reason I managed to get straight int my field from uni was by doing a lot of work experience during my degree (easier for me as I did it pre kids) too many people leave uni thinking a degree guarantees them a job, but especially with the humanities it is really important you gain as much experience as you can during the degree, it's more likely you'll get relevant paid work on graduating.

So good for you, don't feel guilty and don't let anyone else influence your decision.

I completely agree with what marineWag has said.

I could and would. It won't be easy for you, but the opportunity is amazing. I had to study abroad in France for 2 months as part of my degree, and it didn't make sense for my OH and LO to come with, so I went and came back a couple of times and they came to visit, it was really difficult as I had a lot of free time , but was worth it in the end.

Would they be able to come down and see you at some point in the middle?

Good luck!

Absolutely! What's three weeks when it could maximise your chance of having the career you want to give your kids a good life :)

Yes definitely. I go away now for 1-2 nights sometimes and have got a work trip coming up that's several days at once. I'd hate being away that long but it's for a really amazing opportunity that will potentially mean opening up a brilliant career for you - and your family. Obviously get your oh on board as well but go for it!

OH is really supportive and encouraging me to go. He thinks I'd be silly not to try and get the spot and really thinks it would be good for all of us because he works his fingers to the bone in a job he hates yo support us so really wants me to find a career doing something I love x

OH is really supportive and encouraging me to go. He thinks I'd be silly not to try and get the spot and really thinks it would be good for all of us because he works his fingers to the bone in a job he hates yo support us so really wants me to find a career doing something I love x

Just pop into Hamleys while you're there and the kiddies will be begging you to go away every year ;)

I have to do similar. I work as a journalist (though don't get paid) and when I covered fashion week I had to go to London by myself for a week, and will have to again. I don't think it's a bad thing, I mean I got lonely, but it's worth it for the experience, and LO was fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->