Cramping after carrying 3 year old (40+ lbs)

Midnightie

Reaction score
I'm about 4 weeks pregnant and I have a quite heavy 3 year old who just loves me to carry him, before I was pregnant I would carry him around the house quite some times every day. When he's upset or something that's what calms him down, he also still breastfeeds.

Today he woke up upset and asked me to carry him around the house. I was having cramps since before I had a positive pregnancy test but this morning I noticed that they subsided, however while carrying him in the afternoon they started coming back and after I put him down I kept getting cramps on and off, some that were quite painful.

Now I'm worried that I might have hurt the baby by carrying my son. I kind of don't want to carry him anymore for now and will try to encourage him to walk with me more and cuddle while sitting down or in the rocking chair, but I know this is going to be hard on him :(

Do you think I could have hurt the lil bean?

I wouldn't worry too much hun how far along are you? Babys are nicely cushioned inside the womb so unless you had trauma to your stomach for instance if you fell or you knocked your bump then it sounds like it will probably be cramps caused by putting pressure on your muscles. I've been having a spring clean today and afterwards I was achey and crampy. Since sitting down it has subsided.

I think if you over exert yourself then you are likely to feel crampy afterwards but its probably not because there is something wrong with the baby. x

I wouldn't worry too much hun how far along are you? Babys are nicely cushioned inside the womb so unless you had trauma to your stomach for instance if you fell or you knocked your bump then it sounds like it will probably be cramps caused by putting pressure on your muscles. I've been having a spring clean today and afterwards I was achey and crampy. Since sitting down it has subsided.

I think if you over exert yourself then you are likely to feel crampy afterwards but its probably not because there is something wrong with the baby. x

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I'm supposed to be 4 week and 5 days today.

Agreed. I had a little cramping carrying my two year old, but it subsided. Just take it easy the rest of today. Think about how many mommies there are who run around with toddlers just fine! It's hard to not find something to worry about when pregnant though! :)

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I'm supposed to be 4 week and 5 days today.

Its more likely your baby is just getting nice and comfy in there. Lots of mums to be feel crampy at around the 4-5 week mark. Almost like their period is coming. If it continues and it still worries you then do seek the advise of your doctor or midwife. x

Im a preschool teacher so was constantly picking up 3 year olds at work.. I found cramps to be a sign of my body saying "slow down now.. i can only take so much" :)

My understanding is that the reason you shouldn't lift heavy things is because your Mus les and ligaments are softer so you're more likely to injure yourself, rather than because it's a risk to your baby. I have a heavy three and four year old and there are times when I need to pick them up, and I do notice afterwards that I get some back aches. Since my mmc earlier this year started with back cramps it made me pretty paranoid but it always subsides after a while.

My understanding is that the reason you shouldn't lift heavy things is because your Mus les and ligaments are softer so you're more likely to injure yourself, rather than because it's a risk to your baby. I have a heavy three and four year old and there are times when I need to pick them up, and I do notice afterwards that I get some back aches. Since my mmc earlier this year started with back cramps it made me pretty paranoid but it always subsides after a while.

This ^^^

My wife is 5 weeks and still lifting weights in our gym, and will continue to unless otherwise advised by our doctor. The cramping could be from your uterus stretching and not correlated to picking up your other child. Women are just more likely to injure themselves during "lifting things" than when you are not pregnant because of how your muscles, joints, and ligaments change during pregnancy. No worries :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->