• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

crappy government

I'm taking me out too.

I'm not a nasty pasty :nope: - this is just too much of a broad subject. I was just shocked at how different ppls opinions could be.

Apologies once again for taking anything personally and reacting as such.

hope all of the lovely mummies on this thread (and by that i mean ALL of the mummies - cause we're all lovely! :winkwink:) are well. apologies for hormones!!!

I'll chil now :coffee:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:hugs: I don't think anyone on here is a nasty person (hope no-one thinks I am either :haha:).
We've all got different opinions & different backgrounds that have formed those opinions.
If you get a load of pregnant women together discussing a topic like this, there is always going to be debates, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. None of us can be 100% right on a topic like this, but we can all have an opinion :thumbup:

i didn't mean to offend anyone about sitting on bums?? i am a sahm at the moment too and though i do not sit on my bum, except when i am studying or when my son is asleep, i still think it's mad how some people seem to expect to get PAID for being a mum. I'm not talking about anyone on here, just so you knpw, but there are people in our society who do think well i'll just have a kid and i'll get tons of money from the government!! obviously in the past everyone survived without being paid to be a mum, and in other countries women can be parents without getting paid. for me it's a privilege not a job so meh. I think i'll leave the discussion now just explaining that i wasn't talking about anyone in particular etc

I dont really give two hoots about the CTF but i do care about the HIP, we've bought every single thing for this baby second hand except 1 pack of baby grows and 1 pack of vests. All of the the other clothes have been second hand. I was planning on using my HIP grant to buy paint and nappies ect for our baby as this cant be bought second hand. If this was means tested we wouldnt be entitled to it as we both work but are on such low wages.

The HIP grant is supposed to be for healthy eating its not supposed to be to buy your baby stuff? :confused:

Do you mean you really needed the £500 SS grant, which is there to help people who need it buy essentials for their baby?

I know how to be healthy in pregnancy so next best thing for me is things for baby. TBH I don't think I would bother claiming it had this LO been a boy as I already have all the boys stuff I need

"If you're a mum-to-be you may be able to get a one-off, tax-free payment called the Health in Pregnancy Grant. The money is to help you with your wider costs in the run up to your baby's birth."

The money is not just to eat healthily but also to be able to provide for your baby as quoted on the direct.gov website.
As has already been said i know how to be healthy and if that is the case and it was for healthy eating then they should spread it out from early pregnancy in supermarket vouchers, which is when most of us take a look at our diets and aim to be more healthy.

Why is it called a "health in pregnancy" grant then? :wacko:

Either way i was merely asking a question based on the name of the grant, no need to reply to me in that tone. It wasnt as if i challenged your every dietary move, it was a pretty general question hence why it was followed with a confused smilie, yet now i am ever more confused as to why you think i was challenging you in some way from your defensive reply?

Me again!
I do think its a silly name for it TBH as i dont know anyone that has used it to buy healthy food. Lol, sorry if i was a bit snappy with you, blame the hormones, my DH wont even look at me if he senses an argument. :rofl:
I do think bubbles is right with the voucher thing though.

I love how we all have the perfect argument for being 'touchy' :rofl: use it as much as possible, it also works well when you say/do something completely random or stupid

I wish I sat on my bum all day looking after a toddler, if only everything could actually be done from sitting on your bum like housework, feeding etc. I lost weight running about here! and I dont get a break :( I am feeding William now while I am here, multi tasking expert here.

2nd tri mummys are scary :rofl:

Too many hormones and not enough tiredness. I'd be suprised if there was anything like this in 3rd tri, too tired to argue by that point :haha:

You're right!!! In 3rd tri we're all to concerned about how to get baby out to be worrying about pointless things!!!! lol

I think it is called a health in pregnancy grant as it is a 'reward' for going to the midwife/doctor (depending on the care you need) and therefore looking after your health as they will talk to you about things you should and should not be doing, check your overall health etc, nothing to do with eating healthy in pregnancy (although that should get talked about with your hcp)

I think it is called a health in pregnancy grant as it is a 'reward' for going to the midwife/doctor (depending on the care you need) and therefore looking after your health as they will talk to you about things you should and should not be doing, check your overall health etc, nothing to do with eating healthy in pregnancy (although that should get talked about with your hcp)

My Mw told me it was to help towards healthy eating in pregnancy.

Well the CTF is pointless anyway. Why can't the parents put money into a savings account for their child themselves? So so so much money has been wasted on this stupid scheme money that wasn't even there!!!!!!!!!! they actually got into more debt for what seems to be NOTHING!!!!! I have been waiting for the day conservatives can come into power and sort out labours MESS!!!
Sure start rumours is just plain down to scaremongering from labour so you can ignore that for now and I'm sure if we need it conservatives will make the right decision and cut what they need to!
CTC is absolutely mad... the fact I'm entitled to hardly any when we earn 12k a year yet people over 50k are getting them!! I'm glad they are being reduced.

People obviously forget how lucky we are as a country
we can £20 a week for NOTHING (child benefit)
we get FREE healthcare
We get PAID to sit at home on our bums and look after our kiddies
We get FREE money just because we've gotten ourselves preggo

the list is endless and i can imagine all these people complaining about not getting free money anymore trying to live in a country that doesn't believe in handouts for nothing!!! good luck

and as for £500+£190 which is nearly 700 to pay for a newborn!!!!!!!!! i probably spent about £300 including clothes up to a year, a travel system pram and car seat, a moses basket, cot, cot mattress, toys, jumperoo, changing table, big supply of nappies and wipes, bibs, bottles, toiletries, blankets, bouncy chair etc you get the picture
if your so poor you need free money off of the government to buy things for you baby........... maybe you shouldn't be buying things new!?

We don't get free healthcare, we pay for some of it in advance by paying taxes in the first place and we pay for some of it, like prescriptions, eye tests and dental treatment, as we need it.

Paid to sit at homes on our bums?

Don't think being at home, running a house and looking after a young child is sitting on your bum personally.

Wow, I wish I was sat on my bum all day doing nothing. People lie when they say that it gets easier when they're older y'know :lol:

I found this link that explains the point of the HIP Grant quite well.

https://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicatio...ctsandbills/HealthandSocialCareBill/DH_080449

Wow, I wish I was sat on my bum all day doing nothing. People lie when they say that it gets easier when they're older y'know :lol:

Just as I suspected :winkwink:

Lol when they're tiny all they do is cry. When they get to Grace's age they cry AND run about all over the place, climb on things, eat inedible things, chat all day and scream NO at you... amongst sooo much more. I'm thinking of taking up a red bull diet to keep myself alive during the day :haha:

So this grant that is being cut by the Govt,is it something only certain families qualified for anyway? Like if you earned less than a certain amount?

i didn't mean to offend anyone about sitting on bums?? i am a sahm at the moment too and though i do not sit on my bum, except when i am studying or when my son is asleep, i still think it's mad how some people seem to expect to get PAID for being a mum. I'm not talking about anyone on here, just so you knpw, but there are people in our society who do think well i'll just have a kid and i'll get tons of money from the government!! obviously in the past everyone survived without being paid to be a mum, and in other countries women can be parents without getting paid. for me it's a privilege not a job so meh. I think i'll leave the discussion now just explaining that i wasn't talking about anyone in particular etc

obviously people want to read selected posts ;)

So this grant that is being cut by the Govt,is it something only certain families qualified for anyway? Like if you earned less than a certain amount?

They are cutting and then stopping the child trust fund, which everybody gets but it goes into an account for when they are 18.

They are dropping the upper limit for child tax credits, which are means tested, to stop or reduce the payments that higher earning families get from this.

They are keeping the Sure Start Grant of £500 for very low income families.

And so far they are not stopping the Health in Pregnancy Grant of £190 which everyone was entitled to if their baby was due on or after 6th April 2009.

But the HIP Grant is the one causing most of the controversy on this thread as it is felt that people are not spending it in the way it is intended.

The stupid thing is, it was kinda compulsory. With my oldest we did not want it as we were opening up our own savings account so after a certain time (think it was a year) they just opened up one for him and put it in. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->