Craving a turkey and cheese sandwich

AMB1216

Ethan's mommy
Reaction score
I realllllly want a turkey and cheese sandwich. More specifically those premade sub things you can find at Walmart with the salads and what not. The only reason I haven't grabbed one and scarfed it down was because I heard you're not supposed to have deli meats or lunch meats because of Listeria (i think thats the one)

But seriously, this is killing me. I don't want to have to heat them up either, I'm not fond of warm sandwiches.

Any advice on this or is this even true? I've heard some people say its a myth and that they ate lunch meat while they were pregnant.
Hell, The day I found out I was pregnant I grabbed me one of those sandwiches from walmart, it was before I knew about the not supposed to eat thing but regardless.

In the UK, this is what is recommended to us:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

My mom baked a ham for easter I took the cold leftovers and made a nice sandwich. It was sooooo good. Lol. But there's nitrates in deli meats, so I would go for the carving board type turkey but still heat it up let it cool off, and hopefully the cold cheese and other fixings will make it just as good of a sandwich.

Not made up, listeria is fact. Rare but true.

Just heat the meat, doesn't have to be whole sandwich just meat :) when I eat subway I just have them heat the meat :)

Listeria is a bacteria baby can't handle.
However, if the meat is cooked properly, it's cold and fresh and the food standards have been met then you should be ok, but why risk it?
Same goes with cheese, best to just avoid it.
Smell and temperature check, if you're unsure don't eat it. If you do eat it, enjoy it :)

If the craving is really bad it maybe that you need the vitamins and minerals of the turkey sandwich to curb the crave. The need for turkey might mean you need more protein in your diet. Cheese cravings might mean you need more calcium.

Ive ate deli meat few times so far, i eat everything still. x

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have been craving a COLD deli sandwich sooooo bad! With chips and cottage cheese! Sounds delicious!

I'm going to talk to my OB and see what he says about what I should do.
Like I feel like one sandwich isn't going to cause something bad to happen but if anything I couldn't probably just get everything toasted at Subway. Right?

The day I found out I was pregnant I had a subway sandwich and it was the best:haha: My OB said that even if the sandwiches are toasted, they're not hot enough :(

If you like subway you can still have the sandwiches with the roast chicken or steak strips in them- they heat those up in the little paper trays in the microwave before making the sandwich so they are safe.

I specifically asked my OB about this issue at my last appointment. His response, "if you spent your entire pregnancy avoiding every single food item that MIGHT have an adverse reaction... well... I'm not really sure what you WOULD eat. If the meat is fresh then I say eat the damn sandwich!"

I've had 3 sandwiches through the pregnancy thus far and baby is doing just great. Remember... there was a HUGE listeria outbreak from cantaloup/muskmelon a few years ago. Risks everywhere, up to you to assess them and make the choice that you feel good about. Personally, I say buy some fresh deli meat and ENJOY!

Glad I'm in the UK, here it's considered fine to eat cold lunch meat, just not things like Parma ham or pepperoni (which I only like well cooked anyway!) I went for a picnic yesterday and made myself a ham and cheese baguette with loads of salad, it was beautiful!! Probably the best food I've had since my morning sickness started!

There's a risk of getting in a car accident every time you drive or get in a car, but have you stopped doing that?

I say go for in. We're having Panera cater my baby shower and I'm gonna eat the shit out of those sandwiches.

If it makes you feel better, just buy the ingredients yourself and put the turkey in the microwave, let it cool, then make your sandwich. But really, if you buy a package that isn't close to the expiration date, you're gonna be fine.

The fact of the matter is, listeria happens. You really wanna risk it for a deli sandwich? Don't get me wrong, cravings are intense. I've wanted runny eggs since I found out I was expecting 20 weeks ago!

The fact of the matter is, listeria happens. You really wanna risk it for a deli sandwich? Don't get me wrong, cravings are intense. I've wanted runny eggs since I found out I was expecting 20 weeks ago!

The prevalence of listeriosis is 20 per one million people. That's a 0.00002% chance. Worldwide, 1.2 million people die in car accidents (and 50 million more are injured), so guestimating 1.2 million out of 7 billion, that's a 0.00017% chance of dying every time you get into a vehicle, and a 0.00073 of getting injured.

So...truthfully getting into a vehicle is FAR more dangerous than "risking it for a deli sandwich".

Omg Purplecupcake your Panera baby shower makes me so hungry! There's none near me:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->