Craving textures...?!

CRWx

my little family - complete <3
Reaction score
Is anybody having this/is it normal?!

All I want right now is to have the texture of body butter in my mouth and to pull it through my teeth... It's driving me insane! I also really want to bite bubble wrap...

Am I insane? :haha:

Nope but you might need your iron levels checked.
I chewed sponge all the way through my pregnancy and still do when my iron levels drop &#128563; it's quite common in pregnancy.

Nope but you might need your iron levels checked.
I chewed sponge all the way through my pregnancy and still do when my iron levels drop &#128563; it's quite common in pregnancy.

I've got a scan today so I'm presuming they'll take my blood and check! xxx

It's called Pica (?sp) I believe. Google it and you should find some information about it. Hth xx

added to my last comment, make sure you google pica disorder..

That sounds very scary and dramatic when I google it! I will ask my doctor about it but I don't think it's anything a serious as that, says it's linked to mental ******ation and I definitely don't have that! Will mention it just to be sure though. Thanks xxx

That sounds very scary and dramatic when I google it! I will ask my doctor about it but I don't think it's anything a serious as that, says it's linked to mental ******ation and I definitely don't have that! Will mention it just to be sure though. Thanks xxx

LOL no, not at all. It says that some people who have mental illnesses or mental ******ation are prone to pica however you fall under the pregnant women category as they develop it too. Here is an excerpt from one website.

What is pica?

Pica is a condition in which pregnant women get strange cravings for things that aren’t edible, like dirt and clay.

What are the signs of pica?

You guessed it: If you’re suddenly feeling the urge to eat the sand at the beach or the bark from a tree in your backyard, you may have pica.

Are there any tests for pica?

There aren’t any specific tests for pica, but since there may be a connection to vitamin deficiency, your doctor may test your blood for low levels of iron and zinc.

How common is pica?

Luckily, it’s not super-widespread during pregnancy. According to the American Pregnancy Association, cases of pica occur more often in children (in approximately 25 to 30 percent of children).

How did I get pica?

We don't know for certain what causes pica, but according to the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, it could be connected to iron deficiency and poor nutrition.

How will pica affect my baby?

What’s scary is that nonfood items may contain toxic ingredients that can potentially harm both you and baby. Eating nonfood items may actually get in the way of your consumption of healthy and nutritious foods. Plus, if you do have a vitamin deficiency, it could mean baby’s not getting something he needs.

What’s the best way to treat pica?

If you're experiencing unusual cravings, contact your health care provider. Your doctor may test you for nutrition deficiency and give you vitamin supplements.

What can I do to prevent pica?

There’s no specific way to prevent pica, but getting the right amount of nutrients may help.

What do other pregnant moms do when they have pica?

“The last two weeks I’ve been craving ice, and I’ve been losing the battle to NOT eat snow. Doctor put me on iron pills yesterday.”

“I had it with my first pregnancy — I craved dirt. Don’t worry — I knew not to really eat it, but I loved to smell it. This time around, it’s sand.”

“I don’t have it, but a girlfriend of mine craved laundry detergent and dirt when she was pregnant.”

Thank you hun! Sorry for my comment before, it was early morning and I was feeling very sorry for myself :lol:

Had my blood taken on Monday to see if my iron levels are ok, that'll probably be the cause because I have been anaemic in the past.

Thank you! xxx

I get pica. I crave car tyres, cement, chalk, breeze blocks and gravel &#128533; I'd also have the urge to touch them as well as eat them. Walking round B&Q was. Nightmare &#128514;
I'm 11 weeks and it's not started with this one yet, but it's only a matter of time!

I get pica. I crave car tyres, cement, chalk, breeze blocks and gravel &#128533; I'd also have the urge to touch them as well as eat them. Walking round B&Q was. Nightmare &#128514;
I'm 11 weeks and it's not started with this one yet, but it's only a matter of time!

Oh man! Bet that was absolute pain walking round B&Q, haha! I've just got the body butter and bubble wrap thing for now but I can't keep normal food down let alone diving into the nearest tub of moisturiser :rofl: going on the body shop yesterday was an absolute pain! Just wanted to eat their big display of the stuff! xxx

I bought one of those sponge bath support things while pregnant. Chewed the entire thing up and had to buy him a new one &#128563;

Thank you hun! Sorry for my comment before, it was early morning and I was feeling very sorry for myself :lol:

Had my blood taken on Monday to see if my iron levels are ok, that'll probably be the cause because I have been anaemic in the past.

Thank you! xxx

No need to apologise at all. I apologise if you thought I was implying you had mental ******ation :haha:
Hope your iron levels come back ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->