Credit Reports

Emma&Freya

Reaction score
Hiya.

Me and my OH are looking to get a mortgage, when we went in it says on ym credit report that I have a default on it.

When I signed up to Experien I can see were it is, but its all been paid for etc!

IS there anyway I can have it taken off? Can anyone help me?

Thanks xx

If you did default but settled later it will remain until 6 years have passed since the date of default. When was it?

If it is there in error then you have to request the company who placed it remove it

Did you pay it before it defaulted? If you paid it after, it should show as a settled default. But it will still show on your credit file for 6 years. If you paid it before it defaulted then it sounds like a mistake. And if you contact the company who you paid they should correct it.

It should show as a settled default if it was paid unless it was recent and hasn't updated yet, also you don't have to pay for your credit report you can view it free through noddle x

Its saying that I missed 8 payments but that's a lie completely so Ill have to call them.

Everything has been paid off, Im sure I missed maybe 2 or 3, as soon as they called me I paid it straight away.

Its saying it was defaulted in Jan this year.

Someone said I can pay for it to be removed, how true is this?

When I was in the bank it said I defaulted by £19, but its looking like I 'defaulted' by £78, too many numbers argh!!

Only want a mortgage

No you can't pay for it to be removed, it will only be removed by the company who placed it there if they put it there in error, so you will have to take it up with them.

One default and a very small one at that won't stop you getting a mortgage, it may make the rate not as favourable as a gleaming credit file would, but it won't hold you back too much either

Its saying that I missed 8 payments but that's a lie completely so Ill have to call them.

Everything has been paid off, Im sure I missed maybe 2 or 3, as soon as they called me I paid it straight away.

When I was in the bank it said I defaulted by £19, but its looking like I 'defaulted' by £78, too many numbers argh!!

Only want a mortgage

Status 8 means defaulted. I'm guessing that might be what you're seeing? (I look at credit files for a living) It doesn't mean 8 missed payments. Although to be awkward status 1 and 2 do mean 1 and 2 payments missed.

Only the company that placed something on your credit file can remove it. And they will only do this if they made an error. Anyone who claims they can get something removed of your credit file for a fee is a scammer.

You will need to write to the company who are saying you defaulted and ask them to review and update the records.

Be prepared for a possible fight on your hands - I had this with RBS over paying off a loan early. Someone at the bank hadn't recorded it properly and I went fown as defaulting when I hadn't. To make matters worse they sent the letters that would've highlighted the issue to my ex's address and I never saw them. Yet at the same time they sent letters on a different matter to my new address, clearly proving I had informed them of my address change. In the end they backed down and updated my credit record but it took months of arguing it - needless to say I do not bank with them anymore.

In the meantime you can put a note on your credit file against the default. You can type anything into it - I would put a simple sentence or two to say you dispute the default and are currently in communication with the company to get it corrected. It means that any credit check will not be automatic through an electronic system - it will flag up that a real person has to read it. It takes longer then to apply for credit but means you won't be instantly rejected or only offered a high interest rate, a real person will have to take your claims into account (though they are not obliged to believe you of course).

Only want a mortgage

Status 8 means defaulted. I'm guessing that might be what you're seeing? (I look at credit files for a living) It doesn't mean 8 missed payments. Although to be awkward status 1 and 2 do mean 1 and 2 payments missed.

Only the company that placed something on your credit file can remove it. And they will only do this if they made an error. Anyone who claims they can get something removed of your credit file for a fee is a scammer.

I've just checked my credit reporton noddle as someone else suggested and its showing all my insurances quotes on my credit report?!?! Is that normal? If so, it's totally wrecked it because I had a good rating on experian and this is giving me 1/5 xx

I'm afraid it's normal for searches from insurance companies to show up. But I wouldn't worry too much about the 'rating' given by companies like Experian and Noodle. These are not actually used by companies when deciding to give credit. What we do is look at the file and use our own criteria. So what's important is the information that actually shows, like your payment history. I wouldn't even take notice of a few searches by insurance companies when I 'm looking at someone's credit file. The default I'm afraid though would be a much bigger issue.

I think car insurance quotes are meant to be soft searches so whilst they do show up they are not actually part of your credit profile and defo shouldn't affect your score ..... Ive done loads of car insurance quotes recently so i hope they haven't mucked up my profile x

Only want a mortgage

So if I call them on Tuesday do you think they can remove it?

Only want a mortgage

So if I call them on Tuesday do you think they can remove it?

If you paid in full before the default date then they should. Unfortunately if you didn't then they probably won't. But no harm in asking!

I hope they do, how do I find out about the default date xx

The entry on your credit record should say the date they claim it defaulted.

Entry Number: C4 | Account Updated to: 19/05/2013
Name:

Date of Birth: 06/08/1990
Account Type: Credit sale fixed term
Started: 19/01/2011
Current Balance: Satisfied
Payment Terms: £19 x 24 months
Default Date: 17/01/2013
Default Balance: £76

confused :(

The default date, 17th January 2013 is when they recorded our account as being a default.

That means it will stay on there until January 2019

Satisfied means you have paid, but it was after the 17th of January

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"