Criminal damage to car

sunshine114

Reaction score
So this evening, my brother has had his car criminally damaged outside his house. Thanks to a quick acting neighbour, the culprit has been caught and arrested - but what happens now? My brother has to take the car to be photographed tomorrow by police, and he's already looking at the cost of getting it repaired because if he claims on his insurance it's likely his premiums will go up. It just seems so unfair! The scumbag that did it should be paying out of his own pocket! Does anyone know how these things work? We , thankfully, don't have any experience of anything like this! Oh, and it was an unprovoked, random damage, not targeted or anything.

There are honestly no words for how angry we all are tonight! :growlmad:

little shite!!!

when my neighbours car was damaged the person was made to pay compensation to my neighbour by the courts which covered most of the damage to his car. the rest he just paid out of his own pocket. x

Very similar happened here. I was in the bath, heard a load of noise that scared me so sent DH to look, it was two drunk men, they were generally being a pain so DH continued to watch and then they started randomly attacking our neighbours Audi. DH called the police they got here very quickly, DH gave a statement there and then. They were charged with criminal damaged. It went to court about three months later, they changed their plea from not guilty to guilty at the very last minute. They had to pay a fine (that goes into the system) and had to pay £300 (£150 each) compensation but the damaged left a bill of £1k. My neighbours are going for civil action to get the rest, it's really unfair that they have to though.

I'm really sorry that it happened to your brothers car, hopefully he gets all the costs back x

Thanks, it's reassuring to know that there is hope for at least some of the money anyway. I just don't know what goes through someone's mind - it's not even like it was kids (not that this would be acceptable behaviour either, but this was a man!)

Shocking.

I know, my mum was watching out the window on the phone to me while it was all happening, the neighbour had got the group of them and they were waiting for the police, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! It's just senseless!

Absolutely disgusting! Wtf is wrong with some people?!

It's senseless, it really is. A few years ago, we came out of work to find our car completely burned out. No idea why but our insurance premiums rocketed because we had to make a full claim. I think the insurance companies are bloody criminals too; they constantly put your payments up, hound you for payments and when it comes to paying out they get away with as little as possible. They're scumbags too!!

We had three cars damaged one night, I caught the scumbag doing it, he even carried on when he was aware he had been caught, he was just about the start on the neighbours before my step-dad ran out of the house and he legged it. The police caught him not far from the house. It went to court and he was made to pay for all the damages, which my step-dad had paid out for and kept receipts for, totaling around the £2500 mark.

Police have been again today, but apparently because he is unemployed there is unlikely to be a fine/compensation/damages paid, so it's got to come out of my brothers pocket unless he wants sky high premiums! It's so unfair!

Police have been again today, but apparently because he is unemployed there is unlikely to be a fine/compensation/damages paid, so it's got to come out of my brothers pocket unless he wants sky high premiums! It's so unfair!

Grr-take it out if his benefits then (he must have some money!) He should be made to pay. :dohh:
I bet your poor brothers mad-I would be

Grr-take it out if his benefits then (he must have some money!) He should be made to pay. :dohh:
I bet your poor brothers mad-I would be

I know, that's what I think too, it was the police who said hed be lucky to see any money. Apparently they are only prosecuting because he has previous warnings for this kind of stuff - if he had t done it before (or been caught!) then they would have let him off with a slap on the wrist! Makes me so mad, my brother has worked full time since he was 16, and took years to save for his car (which is his pride and joy!) and this is what happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->